2019 Draft Prospect Watch

Tetsujin

There’s still a lot of football to be played, and a combine and pro days, but if all of that was complete and we drafted today, I would trade our 2019 first round pick and our 2020 first round pick to move up to get Hebert or Stidham.  I don’t say that lightly......it’s a big risk I understand but the time for us to land our franchise QB of the future is 2019........before we lose all our talent at WR, TE, and RB.

We have other needs I know, but we can draft quality OLinemen in round 2 as long as we have a healthy Tunsil.....and we can go after a FA CB or even find a tall rangy scheme fit in round 3 or 4.

I’m OK with Tannehill for another season, but we MUST find a QB upgrade that will be our starter for 2020 and beyond.

4 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

There’s still a lot of football to be played, and a combine and pro days, but if all of that was complete and we drafted today, I would trade our 2019 first round pick and our 2020 first round pick to move up to get Hebert or Stidham.  I don’t say that lightly......it’s a big risk I understand but the time for us to land our franchise QB of the future is 2019........before we lose all our talent at WR, TE, and RB.

We have other needs I know, but we can draft quality OLinemen in round 2 as long as we have a healthy Tunsil.....and we can go after a FA CB or even find a tall rangy scheme fit in round 3 or 4.

I’m OK with Tannehill for another season, but we MUST find a QB upgrade that will be our starter for 2020 and beyond.

If this wasn't such a crappy QB class, I would agree.  Tannehill looks like damaged goods at this point.

I agree that there is a lot of defensive line talent in the top of the 2019 draft, and if it were still 2005 then you would be correct that we couldn’t pass on that talent.  Today’s game highly favors the Offense and all indications are that the future of the NFL is going to be high scoring games and wild shoot outs.  Why waste a top pick on an interior Defensive Lineman, a position that typically has the least impact on the passing game of all the defensive positions.   Additionally we must consider the salary cap, however much we all like to say “It’s not my money, I don’t care”, the reality is that the QB position typically makes the biggest impact on a teams salary cap and there is an enormous advantage to having a young franchise QB that is still on his rookie wage scale for the first 4-5 years.  I would also like to point out that we will probably have the worst QB stable in the AFC East next year if we don’t address the position this off season, the only team that could be worse off is Buffalo depending on how their rookie QB takes to year two.  Brady is still Brady and Darnold is looking like what many of us thought he would be, the best QB in the 2018 class.

I’m rooting for Tannehill, but he has big flaws and a big cap hit.  We have a chance to start fresh by being aggressive in the 2019 draft and if sacrificing one first round pick in the 2020 draft is all it takes then that’s a no brainer IMO.

Edited by Swampbilly

3 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

If this wasn't such a crappy QB class, I would agree.  Tannehill looks like damaged goods at this point.

It’s certainly not as good a QB draft class as last year, but I believe there are at least 3 QB upgrades over what we have now that will be available in round 1 and we should target our favorite one and be aggressive in adding him to our roster.

Another option is to pry Teddy Bridgewater away from New Olreans with a big contract.  I do think Bridgewater would be an upgrade for us and could look really good in Gase’ Offense, but I like Hebert or Stidham on a 4-5 year rookie wage better.

8 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

Why waste a top pick on an interior Defensive Lineman, a position that typically has the least impact on the passing game of all the defensive positions.  

I'd prefer a DE, addressing the LDE spot. Wake needs to be a lower-paid 2nd stringer, if he comes back. He's costing 10M/season now and Miami seems to be doing it out of necessity. Get a 4-3 base DE who can both set the edge in the run game and rush the passer. Bosa, Gary, and Allen are my Top 3 there.

On 10/16/2018 at 6:16 AM, freak_of_nature said:

I'd prefer a DE, addressing the LDE spot. Wake needs to be a lower-paid 2nd stringer, if he comes back. He's costing 10M/season now and Miami seems to be doing it out of necessity. Get a 4-3 base DE who can both set the edge in the run game and rush the passer. Bosa, Gary, and Allen are my Top 3 there.

A LDE makes a lot more sense for us than a DT in round 1 and I think all 3 of the DEs you listed would be fine picks in round 1.  I wouldn’t be disappointed with any of the three, but I also wouldn’t trade up for any of the three.  I still think we wind up drafting outside of the top 10 and would need to get into the top 10 to grab one of 2019 potential franchise QB’s in Hebert, Finley, or Stidham, and I think Locke goes somewhere between 11-22 as things sit right now.  

I wonder if the Texans would pick JJ Watt, an amazing LDE, over Deshaun Watson, an average NFL QB ( 9 TDs 7 INTs 4 fumbles so far this season ).  Watt is likely an HOFer and Watson’s ceiling is perhaps a pro bowl or 2.  I love Watt as a player, but given their current situation I would choose Watson.

Given the fact that this QB class only has 3 elite players makes it where you have to be aggressive to get the QB you want. The Dolphins played it safe this year, and it burned them. They were certain that one of the top 4 QB's would make it to their pick. It didn't happen. The Dolphins can't sit there in round one and watch other teams trade up and get franchise QB's. If they do that, they might as well just keep Tannehill for the next 10 years, and accept last place in the division. The problem with QB's in the NFL, was teaching them how to transition from a shotgun high octane offense to a ball control NFL scheme. Well, that doesn't matter as the NFL is now a shotgun based high octane league, and the ball control teams are the minority. These QBs today can keep running the scheme they are used too. So traditional QBs like CJ Beathard are the ones struggling in the NFL, and the Pat Mahomes are thriving. The 49ers, Bills, Cardinals are all teams that will be at the top of the draft, that don't need a QB. The Phins need to get up there to grab their QB.

4 hours ago, ericsvibe said:

Given the fact that this QB class only has 3 elite players makes it where you have to be aggressive to get the QB you want. The Dolphins played it safe this year, and it burned them. They were certain that one of the top 4 QB's would make it to their pick. It didn't happen. The Dolphins can't sit there in round one and watch other teams trade up and get franchise QB's. If they do that, they might as well just keep Tannehill for the next 10 years, and accept last place in the division. The problem with QB's in the NFL, was teaching them how to transition from a shotgun high octane offense to a ball control NFL scheme. Well, that doesn't matter as the NFL is now a shotgun based high octane league, and the ball control teams are the minority. These QBs today can keep running the scheme they are used too. So traditional QBs like CJ Beathard are the ones struggling in the NFL, and the Pat Mahomes are thriving. The 49ers, Bills, Cardinals are all teams that will be at the top of the draft, that don't need a QB. The Phins need to get up there to grab their QB.

I legitimately don't think they were going QB, and Minkah fell right in their laps.  

5 hours ago, ericsvibe said:

You hit the nail on the head.  I’m glad to see someone else noticing the obvious and unafraid to comment on it.  No doubt in my mind we were gambling on one of the top 4 QBs to fall to us.  The success of the Russell Wilson and Drew Brees types is even causing QB’s with less than desirable measurables to become top 10 picks.  We have to be aggressive and proactive to become a perennial playoff team again.  We can’t sit back and wait for the perfect QB to fall to us........we must identify who that player is and make him a Dolphin.  

I was shocked when the Chiefs moved up to draft Mahomes but they were ahead of the curve while we were sitting back and being reactive.  They had a pretty good veteran QB in Alex Smith, but they IDENTIFIED an upgrade and aggressively and successfully pursued that upgrade.  We must do the same in what has become even more of a QB driven league this season.

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

I legitimately don't think they were going QB, and Minkah fell right in their laps.  

I truly believe that we underestimated the Browns and believed that a QB with far less than desirable measurables and who wasn’t highly recruited out of High School and who was a walk on at 2 different collegiate programs would be there for us to draft.  Additionally, Baker Mayfield was legitimately criticized for playing in the “No Defense” Big 12.  Once Mayfield went number one I think we felt like, “ Oh well, at least we’ll be able to land one of the other three QB’s”........of course that wasn’t the case either.

Gase is a QB guy.  I believe he knows what he has in our QB’s and what he wants from his QB.  I believe he sees Tannehill as our best QB on the roster and rightfully supports Tannehill as the starter.  I do not believe he fails to understand the importance of the position, nor do I believe Gase feels Tannehill is the guy we can ride to Championship competition levels year after year.

14 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

I truly believe that we underestimated the Browns and believed that a QB with far less than desirable measurables and who wasn’t highly recruited out of High School and who was a walk on at 2 different collegiate programs would be there for us to draft.  Additionally, Baker Mayfield was legitimately criticized for playing in the “No Defense” Big 12.  Once Mayfield went number one I think we felt like, “ Oh well, at least we’ll be able to land one of the other three QB’s”........of course that wasn’t the case either.

Gase is a QB guy.  I believe he knows what he has in our QB’s and what he wants from his QB.  I believe he sees Tannehill as our best QB on the roster and rightfully supports Tannehill as the starter.  I do not believe he fails to understand the importance of the position, nor do I believe Gase feels Tannehill is the guy we can ride to Championship competition levels year after year.

Based on what?  Certainly not what he's said about Tannehill to the press, in pretty much every chance he has had.  There really is no evidence showing that Gase wasn't "all in" on Tannehill as his QB.  And there's been zero evidence that the Fins were looking QB in the 1st round, even if most of us thought they should have been.  

I listened to Dave Hyde the other day. He spoke DIRECTLY with one of the top scouts for the Dolphins after the draft. He said that the Dolphins front office was shocked when the Cardinals jumped in front of Miami and took Rosen. He said that they were certain that either Rosen or Mayfield would be there. He said that they were very concerned about Jackson's play style and felt that he would have a short career taking the risks he does, so they drafted Fitzpatrick as the BPA. We can't change what happened, but the front office needs to be prepared for next season. I said 3 elite QBs because we don't know at this point how many underclassman are going to declare. If everyone draft eligible declared, we would have 6 1st round caliber QB's, but I doubt that many will declare. That group would be Ryan Finley, Drew Lock, Justin Herbert, Jarrett Stidham, Jake Browning, and Will Grier. That would be my top 6. Not saying all are going to go in the first, but they have 1st round talent.

57 minutes ago, ericsvibe said:

That group would be Ryan Finley, Drew Lock, Justin Herbert, Jarrett Stidham, Jake Browning, and Will Grier. That would be my top 6. Not saying all are going to go in the first, but they have 1st round talent.

I think Browning is not considered much of a prospect. I think the Top 3 draft eligble guys now might be:

J. Herbert - OREGON

D. Haskins - OHIO ST

D. Jones - DUKE