2019 Draft Prospect Watch

Tetsujin

On 10/26/2018 at 4:39 PM, freak_of_nature said:

You're assuming a star QB is present in this next draft.

Incorrect sir.  I “assume” nothing.  When was the last time a “ star “ QB was known to be a “ star “ QB at draft day?  Andrew Luck?  John Elway?  Maybe Matthew Stafford?  Certainly not Drew Brees, Payton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Deshaun Watson, Kirk Cousins, Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson........ and I could probably go on for another 4-5 names.

“ Star “ QB’s aren’t just drafted and then show up to the first game and become the most amazing QB ever.  In fact most of them aren’t noticed as a “ star “ QB on draft day by the general public or even by the general media.  These types of QB’s are identified by potential and then created during long hot summer days of difficult drills and intense study sessions with coaches that need playoff success and Super Bowl contending teams to keep their job.

Playing QB in the NFL today apparently isn’t the same as it was in the 1980’s and 1990’s.  It’s apparently much less difficult than it has been in the past.  We have to IDENTIFY our QB of 2020 now and then go out and get him, and then shape and mold him into the player that it takes to contend for titles.  We can not afford to be complacent or reactive.  Our Organization must be progressive and proactive to stay ahead of the developing trends in today’s game because if we are just reacting to other teams personnel decisions then our ceiling will be “ on time “ and as Lombardi famously said “ If you’re on time then you’re late, and if you’re late then don’t bother showing up “.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to vent a little bit, so I have read about a dozen mid-season mock drafts by various draft analysts. They all seem to be on the same page when it comes to the Dolphins. What I am seeing is everyone pretty much assumes that Ryan Tannehill will be the starter next year, and they are predicting that the Dolphins will pick in the 10 to 20 range, and select a DT. Their logic is that due to substandard play at DT, to much pressure is being placed on the LB's in run defense, and due to a lack of pressure up the middle on opposing QB's, the Phins secondary is getting picked apart. Based on their analysis, a stud DT would help these areas. Well, we just had one of the best DT's that has ever played in the NFL, and I don't remember us winning the SB with him. Yes a stud DT helps your defense play better, but it doesn't put points on the board. If we score 14 points a game, it doesn't matter if the Patriots only score 21 instead of the usual 35 points because our stud DT helped the defense. We still loose that game. Until the Dolphins as an organization realize this, we will be behind the rest of the NFL. The top 10 teams in the NFL are there because of their offense, not their defense. Even the Rams are scoring over 21 points a game.

2 hours ago, ericsvibe said:

I just want to vent a little bit, so I have read about a dozen mid-season mock drafts by various draft analysts. They all seem to be on the same page when it comes to the Dolphins. What I am seeing is everyone pretty much assumes that Ryan Tannehill will be the starter next year, and they are predicting that the Dolphins will pick in the 10 to 20 range, and select a DT. 

I'm seeing a lot of mocks with us taking a WR because "Miami need weapons", and the Parker issue.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Jtownsfine5t said:

I would much rather rebuild the trenches in first 3 rounds

Me too. I'd also like to look at a potential future slot WR to take Amendola's place. Nyqwan Murray or Andy Isabella look OK. I'd like to see if A.I. is legitimacy 5'9" like on his bio.