Gates resigns with Chargers

game3525

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Always seemed to have the physical profile, certainly had never put anything together on the field

Agreed but Paxton Lynch, Trevor Siemian and Brock Osweiler can have an effect on players (especially young ones). It just seems like Rivers could make him a player similar to (but to a lesser degree) what P. Manning did for J. Thomas. But I guess he didn't show enough in the Off-Season or Pre-Season to give the Team much confidence which is a little surprising to me. 

13 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

No real shocker but does he really have anything left?

He still has value as a short yardage/ red zone threat. But not much else. 

He was never an amazing blocker and at this point will probably be a liability in the run game. 

12 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Is Virgil Green THAT bad? He seems like an fast/athletic TE with some ability. Or am I way off?

Virgil Green will still take the majority of the snaps at TE. The fact that he's a fantastic blocker, and seemed to have developed good chemistry with Rivers (in practice at least) ensures that he will be TE1 with Hunter Henry out for the season. Gates will probably be used sparingly due to his age and complete lack of ability to help the blocking game.

1 hour ago, Classic said:

It's the best thing to happen, Virgil Green was awful in preseason. Also note that Henry was put on the PUP and it looks like the coaching staff is holding out hope for late Decemember return(some 7 months after a ACL tear)

A lot of players would look awful with Cardale Jones or Geno Smith "trying" to throw them the ball. He did quite well with Rivers as the QB. Virgil is the TE1 on this team currently. The TE position also only had two players. All Gates does is add additional depth.

Archived