Texans @ Patriots

amazingandre

Houston-Texans-vs.-New-England-Patriots.

The moment we have all been waiting for, kickoff for the 2018 season! I love this matchup right out of the gate. We get to set the tone for the season and decide how good we will be. Do we continue our offensive dominance from Watson's rookie debut, or do we fall back down to mediocrity? Is our defense finally able to remain healthy and dominate like we expect them to, or will they fight injuries and fail to mesh as a group? So many storylines this season; anything from super bowl contenders to bottom of the barrel. 

My 3 keys to the game.

1. Deshaun Watson and co. need to bring their A game. OB has been planning a new offensive scheme all off-season, it better be worth the wait! I want to see an aggressive confidence he has lacked to show at this point. With Watson and Hopkins, he should have no doubt who gets the ball in crunch time. The answer is NOT Lamar Miller.

2. Watt, Clowney, Mercilus, Honey Badger, and the rest of the Texans defense should be ready to dominate opponents. They are finally healthy and ready for a huge year. The Patriots lack of offensive firepower (outside of Grink) should make this is a game where we can impose our will on them. We need to pressure Brady all day long and find creative ways to shut down Gronk. I expect their rushing game to be stonewalled. 

3. Special teams in a game like this can make all the difference. The Patriots have been great at special teams for years. Houston is constantly struggling in the return game and always having to face long fields. I want to see our depth step up and contribute to a win. Keep the field position battle in our favor.

My X-Factor: JJ Watt. I know it is a lot for a guy coming off two major injuries and missing a lot of time, but the Patriots O-line is really hurting and he is in prime position to control the line of scrimmage. We need him to pressure and hit Brady all day long, make him uncomfortable in the pocket. Show your fans and your haters that you still got it!

Prediction: Texans 31 Patriots 17

This is oddly enough, the 4th straight season we have played the Patriots. We have lost 3 straight times in the BOB era. 2015 was a 27-6 blowout. 2016 was that 27-0 blow out in prime time against the Pats 3rd string QB and then last year was the high scoring thriller where we spent 24 seconds and only got off 1 play because BOB didnt want to call TO until he had wasted the entire game clock. 

I am in between on my optimism for this season. On one hand, I think we can be really good. On the other, i feel like the right side of our line and the secondary are going to cost us games. I do not think we can on the road and beat the patriots to start the season. How we rebound will be important. 

it will also be good to see our team play at 100%, which is not something that happened once in the pre season. I also worry about Watson's conditioning. He didnt play much at all in the pre season and so the knee hasnt been tested that much. I was glad to see him take some live game hits though. 

Week 1 is the perfect time to play the Pats.  No Edelman to give us fits.  Pats have OL problems as well including their rookie first rounder being hurt.  We had a shot to beat them last season if it wasnt for O'Brien's stupid coaching decision in the 4th quarter. I think Watson will have another good game vs them and our defense will be much better against them than last season due to the addition of RAC being back but I still dont trust O'Brien.

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

Week 1 is the perfect time to play the Pats.  No Edelman to give us fits.  Pats have OL problems as well including their rookie first rounder being hurt.  We had a shot to beat them last season if it wasnt for O'Brien's stupid coaching decision in the 4th quarter. I think Watson will have another good game vs them and our defense will be much better against them than last season due to the addition of RAC being back but I still dont trust O'Brien.

this is the same story 2 years ago with the Brady suspension. Granted we had Osweiler then but idk i'm still bracing myself for disappointment

1 hour ago, amazingandre said:

Seems like everyone is in. Do we have someone making the sig for them already?

46 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

i can get someone

I'll get somebody when they lose - I need this sig to hurt.

Belichick doing Belichick things again.  Signed Stephen Anderson to Practice Squad 3 days before game with Pats which is illegal every other week of the season, because it's a blatant attempt to steal gameplans.  Of course, we signed AJ Moore from them to our active roster, but let's not let facts get in the way of a good evil empire conspiracy. 

Archived