Special K (and P and LS and the rest of the special teams unit)

Klomp

The parallels, obvious though they may be, might paint an overly simplified picture of what Carlson is facing as a rookie in Minnesota — and they might discount what Walsh did as a rookie, earning All-Pro honors while drilling 10 field goals of 50-plus yards in 2012 for a team that went from 3-13 to a playoff berth.

But for a fan base given to postseason jitters, Walsh will be remembered in Minnesota for one kick — his infamous 27-yard miss against the Seahawks in the 2016 NFC wild-card playoffs. And as Carlson assumes field goal and extra-point duties for a team harboring Super Bowl aspirations, it’s possible the Vikings’ chances to overturn their fraught playoff history could rest on the rookie’s right leg in January.

“Blair, I like Blair a lot. I think Blair is a very, very good kicker. Blair was kind of, I don’t want to say a nervous personality, but Daniel is very calm,” Priefer said. “Because I think it worked for both guys. Blair, obviously had a phenomenal first year and he’s done some great things in this league. We hope Daniel can repeat the first year that Blair had. But, they’re two different kids and two different people.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-kicker-daniel-carlson-must-channel-the-good-blair-walsh/492262921/

Recruited principally as a placekicker, Wile was slated to handle kickoffs for the 2011 Michigan Wolverines football team. However, the team's regular punter, Will Hagerup, was given a four-game suspension for violation of team rules before the season started. As a result, Wile was given dual responsibility for kickoffs and punting as a true freshman. On picking up the additional duty, Wile said, "I hadn't really been practicing punting. When I got here, they asked me to start practicing."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Wile

44 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

The Vikings have made a change at punter.

They claimed Matt Wile off of waivers from the Steelers on Sunday and announced that Ryan Quigley has been dropped from the roster in a corresponding move.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/02/vikings-claim-matt-wile-release-ryan-quigley/

The writing was very clearly on the wall for Quigley when the Vikings expressed interest in Marquette King after he was cut. I really hope Wile works out for the team. I can't say I know anything about him further than I have read in this thread but I trust the Vikings scouts. Quigley wasn't bad last year but he wasn't particularly good either. He did fine. He got the job done.

I am excited that the team found a player that they think will improve the position. It is good to know that they are looking at their options at all positions for improvements and not just the positions that were amongst their biggest problems. It hope Wile will turn out to be our best punter since Snickers (Berger).

• Like 1

Wile (6-2, 215) joins the Vikings via waivers from the Steelers after spending the entire 2018 offseason with Pittsburgh. The second-year punter has appeared in four career games (three with Arizona in 2016 and one with Atlanta in 2016) and has 12 career punts for a 39.7 career net average. Wile signed with the Steelers on January 19, 2018 after not appearing on an NFL roster in 2017. The San Diego, California native originally enter the NFL as an undrafted free agent in 2015 with Carolina and has also spent time with Atlanta, Arizona and Dallas.

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-claim-p-matt-wile-via-waivers-sign-9-others-to-practice-squad-1?sf196762853=1

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

The gamble that they’re taking on special teams, in a year where they are expected to push for the Super Bowl, is a very interesting approach for this front office/coaching staff. 

I like the aggressiveness. 

yes, as do i...

it just seems the one special teams person never held accountable is...Priefer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

it just seems the one special teams person never held accountable is...Priefer.

Is there something that you feel like he should’ve been held accountable for? 

I don’t know what the numbers suggest, but I’ve always felt like we’ve had a really good special teams unit under Priefer. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

Just now, SemperFeist said:

welll... all these special teams players not working out and getting cut. wouldn't he have had a great deal of sway in their acquisition in the first place, and certainly their training and performance.

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

We've had a revolving door at K and P now for three years. 

I'm not sure he deserves to lose his job but how would his background and performance compare to if he was an offensive or defensive coordinator? 

Edited by vikingsrule