Special K (and P and LS and the rest of the special teams unit)

Klomp

4 minutes ago, Klomp said:
To me, everything is adding up to mean we might see Vedvik as the punter and long-range FG kicker, while Bailey will have the close-range FGs. When one of them kicks, the other holds.

Agree, would be well worth having him as a punter and long range FG kicker.  The kid is so damn talented pretty freaking sweet we got him and Green Bay did not and more importantly Chicago did not.  The kid is super talented and has a ton of upside, well worth a 5th round pick considering there is no super star kicker or punter coming up in the college ranks I feel for awhile, cannot really name any standout kickers regardless of class currently.  

Kaare Vedvik practiced with the Vikings for the first time on Monday and reports from the session had him hitting field goals of 55 yards and longer with fans cheering on the makes. Vedvik isn’t just a placekicker, however, as he did the punting at Marshall for his final two seasons in college and only added kicking duties during his senior year. Vedvik was kicking with the Ravens before Sunday’s trade, but called himself “an athlete” capable of doing both.

Head coach Mike Zimmer said that Vedvik could do both jobs if he proved to be good enough, but suggested that wasn’t a likely outcome for the 2019 season.

Zimmer: “It’s probably difficult for a rookie, I would think. You’ve got a rookie snapper, and then you’d have a rookie kicker and rookie punter. Then you’d have to find somebody to hold.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/12/mike-zimmer-probably-difficult-for-kaare-vedvik-to-kick-and-punt/

• Like 1

I wouldn't get hopes up on Vedvik doing both punting and kicking. I saw a tweet from Kluwe a few year back resurface yesterday explaining why it doesn't happen. I'll see if I can track it down later today.

If we assume that to be true do we ride the Vedvik/Bailey combo this year (Wile cut), let Bailey walk and then find a punter while moving Vedvik to PK in 2020?

4 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I wouldn't get hopes up on Vedvik doing both punting and kicking. I saw a tweet from Kluwe a few year back resurface yesterday explaining why it doesn't happen. I'll see if I can track it down later today.

If we assume that to be true do we ride the Vedvik/Bailey combo this year (Wile cut), let Bailey walk and then find a punter while moving Vedvik to PK in 2020?

I don't think that would be the way to go. They didn't trade a 5th rounder for him to punt. I think it's more likely that we keep Wile and cut Bailey. If you want him to settle into the kicker role, you don't have him focus on punting. Keep Wile, and if he struggles, you've got a quick gameday replacement for him. 

• Like 3

Zimmer didn’t rule out the idea of Vedvik doing both jobs — and becoming the first player to handle both spots for a full season since the Rams’ Frank Corral in 1981 — though he admitted it would be a tough logistical arrangement, given that Vedvik is a rookie and the Vikings would need to find a new holder.

On Monday, the Vikings had Bailey work as a holder as Wile recovers from a cut on his finger that required stitches after Friday’s game in New Orleans. Neither Wile nor Bailey was made available to reporters for the second consecutive day. Vedvik, speaking after Zimmer’s news conference, said he “has a passion for both” kicking and punting and remained open to both of the jobs he’s been doing since his senior year at Marshall, when a kicker injury forced Vedvik to hold both jobs after spending three years learning to punt.

http://www.startribune.com/kaare-vedvik-s-role-nfl-talent/538226422/

The Vikings — who have the league’s fifth-worst field goal percentage since 2014 — are once again shuffling their field goal operation in the final weeks before the season. They’ll have to see if their latest endeavor is the one to end their kicking quagmire.

Zimmer: “We need to get it figured out. What’s today, the 12th? We’ve got almost a month, so we’ll be all right.”

http://www.startribune.com/kaare-vedvik-s-role-nfl-talent/538226422/