Special K (and P and LS and the rest of the special teams unit)

Klomp

No matter if he had questions about the position on the field, or questions about life off the field, Cutting knew he could always lean on McDermott for guidance. He did so many times over the past few months and is grateful for that experience.

Cutting: “He fully took me in. I can’t thank him enough for that because he’s helped me through a lot of things. He did a really, really good job about that.”

As for the roster move itself, it wasn’t surprising considering the Vikings invested a draft pick in Cutting, a rookie out of Air Force, and save about $850,000 against the salary cap by releasing McDermott. It should also help the snap-hold-kick process for Cutting to get 100 percent of the reps rather than splitting them with McDermott on a daily basis.

Zimmer: “We figured we had to get the battery down so we weren’t using two snappers in and out. It’s not anything Kevin did. He was a terrific team guy and an unbelievable person. It’s just the way it goes sometimes.”

https://www.twincities.com/2019/08/12/vikings-austin-cutting-gets-job-and-view-of-how-to-handle-getting-cut-like-a-pro/

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Which may lead us to further believe that it's been more to do with Wile's crappy holding skills (which apparently have not improved) than Bailey's bad kicking. 

Could throw McDermott in there too

36 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Maybe it's just that kickers aren't perfect yet Vikings fans seem to demand perfection every week....?

ztjoljpg42osobqxusu9.jpg

I think this guy was a big reason for the kicking issues.  The Blair Walsh disaster was awful, the kid was a great kicker and his confidence was just destroyed.  He had issues with Chris Kluwe and apparently made jokes about him.  Daniel Carlson last year, a kicker who clearly is decent in a different environment even that same exact season.  This guy not being around will help a lot I think, and Vedvik will be either the answer to the punter question, the holder question or the main kicker question.  Dan Bailey is ok but is not what he was, this Vedvik kid seems legit talent wise and now there is not a coach to mess him up mentally.  

There are a lot of teams looking for a kicker or punter, heck the Raiders just released their punter so the Vikings are lucky to get this guy and not Chicago or Green Bay.  

Expecting greatness out of a position is the same one expects from any position, just like expecting great LB play or CB play.  And great Vedvik could learn from Justin Tucker that one year in Baltimore.  

• Like 3

Kaare Vedvik did not attempt any field goals [at Tuesday's practice], but he did record two punts, with one going 45 yards and the other traveling 59 yards. Vedvik also showed off his own leg strength, as he kicked off five times, with four of them going four or five yards deep in the end zone. His fifth and final kickoff sailed to the end line at the back of the end zone.

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-dan-bailey-goes-7-for-7-kicks-training-camp?sf217487074=1

Edited by vike daddy

5 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

75% each of the last two years isn't stellar. Did someone here post they expect perfection? I sure didn't.

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Expecting greatness out of a position is the same one expects from any position, just like expecting great LB play or CB play.  And great Vedvik could learn from Justin Tucker that one year in Baltimore.  

While people may not say they expect perfection from kickers, do people call for Anthony Barr to be cut after each missed tackle or Riley Reiff to be cut after a missed block or Kirk Cousins to be cut after each interception? That's the reaction Vikings fans seem to have after each missed kick, and it's unlike anything you see from any other position. I don't know if it's Gary Anderson PTSD or what...

I don't mind hoping for greatness, but I do have a problem with people freaking out every time a player messes up. You may not say you're demanding perfection, but that's what your actions are portraying...

A kicker is mostly facing the uprights that don't move (other than the rush that is up to his teammates to block) and are only going to be kicking field goals a handful of times.

Anthony Barr is trying to tackle highly skilled players with a ton of speed and strength. He's also on the field almost every defensive play and has the potential to mess up on any of those plays but might only miss a couple tackles.

I just don't think that they are that comparable. I'm sure Vikings fans are quick to jump on the kickers but that's because they keep letting us down. No one called for Ryan longwells head when he missed a kick. It doesn't help that they moved the extra point back right when our kicking game went to crap.

Also I'm pretty sure the Vikings game the 5th worse field goal percentage the last few years. That doesn't count extra points which I can't imagine we are any better at.

• Like 1