Special K (and P and LS and the rest of the special teams unit)

Klomp

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

If you have a subscription to the Athletic, it's just been posted how the NFL has it all wrong about kickers...it sounds like it almost could be a complete rip on Zimmer, but apparently, he's not alone.

https://theathletic.com/1181233/2019/09/04/the-nfl-has-it-all-wrong-when-it-comes-to-kickers-phil-dawson/

Yeah that was interesting. 

I think Priefer and Zimmer should've done a better job with Carlson last year. Priefer's in a similar situation this year with a rookie kicker in Cleveland: 

It’s worth noting that the Browns’ special-teams coach is Mike Priefer, who came to Cleveland this season from Minnesota. The Vikings traded two sixth-round picks last year to move up and take kicker Daniel Carlson in the fifth round....

Now it’s the Browns with the rookie fifth-round pick. Like Carlson, Seibert was the first kicker selected. Both Seibert and Joseph struggled miserably throughout training camp before Seibert made his last six kicks to win the job and close the preseason.

Blaming Priefer for the early struggles of Seibert and Carlson might be premature and a bit unfair, but the parallels are worth noting.

Seibert is trying to become the fourth kicker in the seven years since Dawson’s departure to last a full season in Cleveland. No one has survived two.

Going back over some Vikings history, the Gary Anderson missed field goal might be the most ridiculous, and misrepresented point of blame in Minnesota sports history. 

I was too young to remember the game, but when you listen to people talk about Anderson’s miss they talk about it as if he missed a game winning field goal. The Vikings had a 7 point lead with 2:07 remaining in the game at the time of his missed kick. Plus, the most prolific offense in NFL history had THREE possessions after Atlanta tied the game, and only managed two 1st downs. 

Sure, had he made the field goal the game would have likely been out of reach. But with everything that happened after the miss, it’s crazy how the fan base has focused on that play as the reason for the Vikings’ loss. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Going back over some Vikings history, the Gary Anderson missed field goal might be the most ridiculous, and misrepresented point of blame in Minnesota sports history. 

I was too young to remember the game, but when you listen to people talk about Anderson’s miss they talk about it as if he missed a game winning field goal. The Vikings had a 7 point lead with 2:07 remaining in the game at the time of his missed kick. Plus, the most prolific offense in NFL history had THREE possessions after Atlanta tied the game, and only managed two 1st downs. 

Sure, had he made the field goal the game would have likely been out of reach. But with everything that happened after the miss, it’s crazy how the fan base has focused on that play as the reason for the Vikings’ loss. 

Yeah I didn't realize it wasn't actually the game winner until quite a few years later

On Wednesday, Vedvik was asked if he’s working to polish up his mechanics ahead of that game and said that he didn’t believe the hard time in Minnesota was related to issues in that area.

Vedvik: “It’s not so much mechanical,  I just went one-for-four. I think it’s as simple as that. Anything more into it is just over-analyzing a problem that doesn’t necessarily exist.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/04/kaare-vedvik-wont-over-analyze-a-problem-that-doesnt-necessarily-exist/

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The thing with Anderson's kick wasn't that it was a game winner. The gut punch was that it was the only kick he missed all year and was from inside 40 yards.

The offense rolled over everyone that year, and Anderson was automatic. So when neither performed in the end, it felt somewhat worse. 

Still, what I'll always remember is Denny Green taking a knee. Facing a third-and-3 on our own 27-yard line with 30 seconds remaining, Green had Cunningham kneel, run out the clock and head to overtime. We had the most dynamic offense in league history. The best deep ball passer in the NFL, and the best deep ball receiver. Green didn't give them a chance. If they had got to the 33 yard line, Anderson would have had a shot from 50 yards. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Yeah I didn't realize it wasn't actually the game winner until quite a few years later

I've made that point even here for probably a decade every time the discussion has come up.  I've always felt it's ludicrous when people blame Gary Anderson.  Denny Green taking a knee is what lost that game, not Gary.  

20 hours ago, swede700 said:

If you have a subscription to the Athletic, it's just been posted how the NFL has it all wrong about kickers...it sounds like it almost could be a complete rip on Zimmer, but apparently, he's not alone.

https://theathletic.com/1181233/2019/09/04/the-nfl-has-it-all-wrong-when-it-comes-to-kickers-phil-dawson/

as someone who doesn't have the athletic, is the gist that the NFL is too results-based which is a bad process when a kickers's sample size is so small?

honestly though i envy teams like the patriots and ravens who have kickers that are automatic and seemed to have played for them forever. 

29 minutes ago, whitehops said:

as someone who doesn't have the athletic, is the gist that the NFL is too results-based which is a bad process when a kickers's sample size is so small?

honestly though i envy teams like the patriots and ravens who have kickers that are automatic and seemed to have played for them forever. 

From the article:

Dawson believes teams are valuing the wrong measurables while not providing adequate support for kickers like they do quarterbacks, linemen and everyone else on the field. And they aren’t patient enough with the kickers they have.

• Like 2