Special K (and P and LS and the rest of the special teams unit)

Klomp

Of all the things that could've gone wrong for the Colts, the biggest surprise was kicker Adam Vinatieri. He left seven points on the field with a missed extra point and two missed field goals. This is the first time this has happened in his 24-year career, per NFL Research. Vinatieri dealt with "a little bit of a knee issue" during training camp and the preseason but coach Frank Reich did not believe the injury was "anything that was going to be a problem." After Vinatieri's performance today, this is enough to cause concern for Indy.

On the other side of the field, Chargers rookie Ty Long outplayed Vinatieri. Long picked up punter and kicker duties after Michael Badgley suffered a groin injury on Friday. Long made good on his only field-goal attempt (from 40 yards) and was a perfect 3-for-3 on extra points.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001052213/article/what-we-learned-from-sundays-week-1-games

• 3 weeks later...

They've played more outdoor home games than other dome teams thanks to the years at TCF and the Metrodome roof collapse in 2010. And they play a couple of road games a year in outdoor stadiums that are notoriously difficult to kick in, Lambeau and Soldier. And their own kickers are among the worst in the league over this same span, in those same environments.

The curse is real.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Vikings asked Dan Bailey to take a pay cut in the offseason and then traded for Kaare Vedvik in the preseason. Bailey, 31, agreed to drop his base salary from $1.98 million to $1 million in the offseason. He won the job and has looked like Dan Bailey again so far this season. He is 8-for-9, missing a 47-yarder wide left in Week Two because of a protection issue.

Zimmer:  “I think the smoothness of the operation with the holds and the snaps and all that has helped. He’s kind of been on roll lately, so just try and keep it consistent.”

Bailey: “My mentality is I want to be playing this game as long as I can. I don’t want to squeeze myself because of money. I don’t think that’s a good strategy as far as what my goals are.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/18/dan-bailey-back-to-kicking-like-dan-bailey-again/

Edited by vike daddy