Special K (and P and LS and the rest of the special teams unit)

Klomp

12 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I wonder if Scherels could be on the cutting block since we'll probably need another wr. If they trust Hughes enough that is.

He was a healthy scratch wasn't he? Or has something come out as to why he didn't play?

The only people who know why he didn't play is the coaching staff, and they have said nothing.  

10 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I read that Sherels didn't know until game time that he would be out, and that the decision was made by the staff. I'm going to guess he is cut in favor of bringing Davion Davis up from the PS for Thielen.

Or they could just drop Cam Smith back down to the practice squad.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I read that Sherels didn't know until game time that he would be out, and that the decision was made by the staff. I'm going to guess he is cut in favor of bringing Davion Davis up from the PS for Thielen.

It’s the right move if you trust Hughes as the PR. Now that the CBs are healthy, they can keep Hughes as the PR. We soon have to make room for Holton Hill anyway.

Edited by vikingsrule

Sherels said he found out before Sunday’s game he would be inactive. He watched as Hughes, fully healthy after missing the first two games in his recovery from a torn ACL, returned two punts for 9 yards. Sherels has a prorated minimum contract of $930,000. He could be let go at any time without the Vikings owing him any additional money.

Sherels:  “Probably the first time I can remember being a healthy scratch, but you’ve got to find other ways to help, whether it’s getting Mike ready or being an extra set of eyes out there on the field. I don’t know [if I'll be released], I’m just taking it day by day and helping any way I can. You can’t really worry about those things."

Even if Sherels survives this week, there’s no certainty he lasts the season with Minnesota. Beebe is expected to return when first eligible on Dec. 2 at Seattle.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/10/21/marcus-sherels-future-uncertain-as-the-vikings-punt-returner/

Edited by vike daddy

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Sherels was a great special teams player, and a great story. But Father Time has caught up with his football career. 

I agree. I don’t think he looked the same this year. Love the guy, the football player, the story. Wish him well in his endeavors. 

Edited by marshpit23
in
  • Like 1

Personally I would not trust Mike Hughes a ton as a punt return man, maybe as a kickoff guy but I would trust Ameer more to catch punts than Mike Hughes, who should not be doing that off his knee issue last year.  Curious if this Davion Davis can catch punts or not, apparently did it in college but I never saw him play, maybe that is why they called him up off the PS because they are comfortable with him as the PR and as a backup WR.  

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Curious if this Davion Davis can catch punts or not, apparently did it in college but I never saw him play, maybe that is why they called him up off the PS because they are comfortable with him as the PR and as a backup WR.  

they better be giving him some reps if that's the case....