Special K (and P and LS and the rest of the special teams unit)

Klomp

I think STs coaches, on the whole, are held more accountable on ST coverage units than they are specifically for the P and K individually...mainly because the P and K are such a fickle position individually.  For the most part, he's done a pretty good job on the coverage units...up until this year, where it's been kind of sketchy.  If the coverage units continue to play like they have the last 2 weeks, that would be Priefer's downfall, not the performances of Carlson and/or Wile, or Walsh, Quigley, Kluwe, Forbath, and Locke previously.  

My biggest issue with Priefer is the types of kickers/punters that he’s “pounded the table for”. 

Walsh, Locke, and Carlson, plus bringing in guys like Symmank and Koehn as competition, it just seems like Priefer has the attitude/mindset of “give me a guy with a big leg, and I can teach the rest.” 

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

My biggest issue with Priefer is the types of kickers/punters that he’s “pounded the table for”. 

Walsh, Locke, and Carlson, plus bringing in guys like Symmank and Koehn as competition, it just seems like Priefer has the attitude/mindset of “give me a guy with a big leg, and I can teach the rest.” 

Locke never had a big leg.

4 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

So its a scouting issue then.

Locke has a strong leg. He kicked plenty of long punts at UCLA, he had the highest percentage of touchbacks on kickoffs in college, and he was even used as a field goal kicker for long kicks (went 6/9).

He just was never able to translate it to the NFL, for what ever reason. 

Another knock on Priefer is that he doesn’t seem to have his special teamers overly prepared or knowledgeable of the rules. 

Coley, and this might be a small reason as to why he was the one waived, nearly cost us the game with a major special teams gaffe. On the kickoff after the Packers made it 29-21, Coley fielded the ball in the end zone and simply flipped the ball to the official without downing the ball. The Packers were just a couple of steps from grabbing the ball before Coley realized his mistake and fell on it. 

Not having that drilled into your players is a coaching issue. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Coley, and this might be a small reason as to why he was the one waived, nearly cost us the game with a major special teams gaffe. On the kickoff after the Packers made it 29-21, Coley fielded the ball in the end zone and simply flipped the ball to the official without downing the ball. The Packers were just a couple of steps from grabbing the ball before Coley realized his mistake and fell on it. 

GREAT point.

4 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Being at the game, it was hard to tell....was he slow at kicking on the blocked punt, or really bad blocking? thanks....

I thought there was some of both involved but the blame should be weighted very heavily towards the really bad blocking. The blocking was flawed. But yeah, Wile could get it off a little quicker too. The flawed blocking is much more of a concern. If that was decent there would be no need to looking at things like the long snapper putting more zip on the snap and the punter getting it off quicker.

13 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I thought there was some of both involved but the blame should be weighted very heavily towards the really bad blocking. The blocking was flawed. But yeah, Wile could get it off a little quicker too. The flawed blocking is much more of a concern. If that was decent there would be no need to looking at things like the long snapper putting more zip on the snap and the punter getting it off quicker.

I thought Zimmer said what GB did on that play wasn't within the rules but the refs didn't call it?

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

Being at the game, it was hard to tell....was he slow at kicking on the blocked punt, or really bad blocking? thanks....

The blocker made a wrong read. I don't remember who it was, but he was replaced on the punt team the next time they were out there.