Special K (and P and LS and the rest of the special teams unit)

Klomp

Dan Bailey is one of a few big-name veteran kickers headed for unrestricted free agency in a month. We could see musical chairs movement around the league with the Vikings among teams likely eyeing free agent options led by Matt Bryant, Stephen Gostkowski, Robbie Gould and Bailey. The conversation in Minnesota starts with Bailey, who is coming off another career-low, 75-percent season on field goals that could have the Vikings seeking a fifth kicker in four years.

Bailey made his last five field goal attempts after missing three of 11 tries in October, his first full month after taking over for ousted rookie Daniel Carlson in Week 3. He missed eight kicks (one extra point) overall. One was a 42 yarder taking a hard left turn in strong winds at MetLife Stadium. Another was blocked. Al Riveron, the NFL’s VP of Officiating, later said a penalty flag should’ve been enforced on the Seahawks for leverage. An official picked up a flag on the play and the block stood.

Five more misses dropped Bailey to 29th in field goal percentage (21 of 28). The Vikings coaching staff is once again looking to improve that mark, whether with Bailey or not. This time, a new special teams coordinator, Marwan Maalouf, will give the discussion a fresh set of eyes. Bailey did shore up the Vikings’ extra-point operation by making 30 of 31 attempts. He also rebounded from two first-half misses in Philadelphia with a 52-yard field goal in the fourth quarter of the Vikings’ 23-21 win. One of his unblocked misses, a 48-yard kick wide left during the first quarter in New England, came during a loss.

Despite consecutive seasons at 75 percent, Bailey is still the NFL’s fifth-most accurate field goal kicker of all time with a career mark at 86.6 percent. 

http://www.startribune.com/the-vikings-face-a-familiar-question-with-dan-bailey-ahead-of-free-agency/505838512/

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Not sure I'd bring Bailey back. As competition, maybe. 

I still would bring Bailey back.  Despite the rocky start, he did settle down and was pretty good down the stretch.  They do need to develop some sort of stability at the position, and Bailey would give them that best chance.  Especially if he can continue to work with Wile and McDermott.  

• Like 1

Marwan Maalouf: “As of right now, all things are on the table. We are starting to look at draft-eligible kickers and free agent kickers. That’s something that I’ve had good luck with in the past. We have always had good kickers where I’ve been.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/22/vikings-st-coordinator-all-things-are-on-the-table-at-kicker/

23 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Marwan Maalouf: “As of right now, all things are on the table. We are starting to look at draft-eligible kickers and free agent kickers. That’s something that I’ve had good luck with in the past. We have always had good kickers where I’ve been.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/22/vikings-st-coordinator-all-things-are-on-the-table-at-kicker/

Cody Parkey! It’s happening!

On 2/23/2019 at 3:27 PM, SteelKing728 said:

What is this "good kicker" thing that our new ST coach speaks of?!?

Justin Tucker and Adam Vinatieri.  

I realize that you were probably being sarcastic, but for those that didn't know...

Edited by swede700

“I think part of it is we allow them to — especially young guys — make some mistakes, make sure they understand we’re behind them,” Zimmer said. “I’ve also really been thinking hard about trying to get someone [to help the team’s kicker]. These golfers have swing coaches. Everybody’s got coaches now who do these things. So I’ve been thinking really, really hard about trying to find a true kickers coach, where that’s all he does.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/28/mike-zimmer-looking-at-hiring-kicking-coach/

Bring in Longwell.  

And I think this is where Zimmer admits that he might have made a mistake in cutting Carlson so soon.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And I think this is where Zimmer admits that he might have made a mistake in cutting Carlson so soon.

“Probably too much,” Zimmer said when asked how much he thinks about the kicking game. “You sit there, and you think about we missed a 27-yard field goal [by Blair Walsh] in Seattle in the playoffs. Then, this happens. Then, you bring a guy in, and he misses an extra point. Then, maybe you’re a little bit more jumpy than maybe you should be, I think. It’s like everything else you might overreact.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/28/mike-zimmer-looking-at-hiring-kicking-coach/

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

who are the candidates on the roster right now to be our punt and kick returners?

Ameer Abdullah (KR), Mike Hughes (P/KR), Chad Beebe (PR), 7th round WRs (PR), Zylstra (P/KR)... I’m sure I’m forgetting some secondary folks. 

• Like 1