Special K (and P and LS and the rest of the special teams unit)

Klomp

4 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

So if your manager starts publicly calling you out, that won't effect your performance? That's your argument? 

It's been 5 months since I wrote that comment, so I'm not sure of the actual context of the argument I was making, but it shouldn't. He's a professional kicker.  I often expect that by the time he's publicly calling him out, he's privately had discussions with him multiple times.   Kickers get criticized all the time, even by the time they reach the NFL, so they should be able to learn how to handle it.      

20 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's been 5 months since I wrote that comment, so I'm not sure of the actual context of the argument I was making, but it shouldn't. He's a professional kicker.  I often expect that by the time he's publicly calling him out, he's privately had discussions with him multiple times.   Kickers get criticized all the time, even by the time they reach the NFL, so they should be able to learn how to handle it.      

He's a human, not a robot. I doubt we'll agree on this. And, sorry for dredging it up, apparently that was the last time I read this thread....

31 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

He's a human, not a robot. I doubt we'll agree on this. And, sorry for dredging it up, apparently that was the last time I read this thread....

Not a problem, sometimes it's a good idea to revisit something because what I might have said might be considered silly  :)

While I do agree that he's human and not a robot, it wasn't just a one-time incident.  Daniel Carlson wasn't cut because he missed those 3 kicks...he was cut after those 3 kicks after having been shaky ever since he had "won" the job.  It wasn't like those missed kicks were just the first incident.  Blair Walsh wasn't cut after missing the kick in the playoffs.  Zimmer showed tremendous patience with him after that...he stuck with Walsh long after he was continuing to struggle the next season. 

The public criticism of them wasn't levied until they made it impossible for him to hold it back.  The public criticism was a result of their own continued inadequacies, not the other way around.  

• 1 month later...

Dan Bailey was cool under pressure in a game-like situation Monday, as the kicker drilled a 53-yard field goal as time expired to give the offense a 23-20 victory.

Bailey was a combined 4-for-6 on other kicks with the team Monday. He was 2-for-3 during a session with McDermott as the long snapper and 2-for-3 with Austin Cutting as the long snapper.

https://www.vikings.com/news/3-observations-bailey-good-from-53-on-decisive-mayday-field-goal?sf217043139=1

Edited by vike daddy

Beebe held on three snaps from Kevin McDermott as Dan Bailey was good from 33, 36 and 39 yards. Beebe later held four times with Austin Cutting as the long snapper. Bailey was good from 41 and 43 yards, but his 45-yard try hit the right upright and his 48-yard attempt went wide right.

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-chad-beebe-does-it-all-training-camp?sf217365794=1

oh Dan... fee like visiting Norway this summer...?

• Like 1

Hey @swede700....

As a senior in high school, Kaare Vedvik didn’t play football. After spending a year in Kansas as a foreign-exchange student, Vedvik headed back to Norway and instead spent his days scouring the Internet searching for contact information of college coaches.

He used lists of Football Bowl Subdivision and Football Championship Subdivision schools and emailed his film and personal information to every school and every coach he found.

“That kind of became the game I was playing rather than actually kicking,” said Vedvik, who’s a place kicker and a punter. “I had already proved I could kick while I was in the States. That was just trying to get my name out there.”

Vedvik received a couple of responses, but nothing came of those. Ultimately, he went through Kohl’s Kicking Camps, where he was rated the 13th-best kicker in the class of 2013. That led him to Marshall University, where he spent five years and began his path toward the NFL.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2018/07/30/a-soccer-player-from-norway-who-once-had-a-92-yard-punt-has-impressed-at-ravens-camp/

Through some research I figured out he was in McPherson

17 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

by the way... do we have more than one 5th round pick in 2020? seems like lots of years we do.

I don't believe we've made any trades involving 2020 picks until today, but we are projected to get compensatory 3rd, 6th and 7th I believe.

Vedvik, pronounced CORE-ee VED-vick, appeared in 38 career games at Marshall, seeing action as both a kicker and punter while earning first-team All-Conference USA as a senior in 2017. Born in Stavanger, Norway, Vedvik attended high school in McPherson, Kansas as an exchange student for his junior year before returning to Norway for his senior year.

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-kaare-vedvik-from-ravens?sf217372763=1