Special K (and P and LS and the rest of the special teams unit)

Klomp

11 hours ago, Klomp said:

Hey @swede700....

As a senior in high school, Kaare Vedvik didn’t play football. After spending a year in Kansas as a foreign-exchange student, Vedvik headed back to Norway and instead spent his days scouring the Internet searching for contact information of college coaches.

He used lists of Football Bowl Subdivision and Football Championship Subdivision schools and emailed his film and personal information to every school and every coach he found.

“That kind of became the game I was playing rather than actually kicking,” said Vedvik, who’s a place kicker and a punter. “I had already proved I could kick while I was in the States. That was just trying to get my name out there.”

Vedvik received a couple of responses, but nothing came of those. Ultimately, he went through Kohl’s Kicking Camps, where he was rated the 13th-best kicker in the class of 2013. That led him to Marshall University, where he spent five years and began his path toward the NFL.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2018/07/30/a-soccer-player-from-norway-who-once-had-a-92-yard-punt-has-impressed-at-ravens-camp/

Through some research I figured out he was in McPherson

My Senior year of high school, we had a foreign exchange student from Uruguay. Fastest player on our team. Not even close. However, he couldn't catch and couldn't throw, but man, he could kick. Our coach was adverse to trying field goals, because we never had a good long snapper, but he let Alfonso rip it on kickoffs. I played 9-man football in Minnesota, and at the time, we played on an 80 yard field. I remember warmups before our first game, everyone on the other team stopped and watched Alfonso put one kickoff after another through the opposite uprights. 

Always said that if I ever had a son, he'd be kicking a football two seconds after he took his first steps. Hit 40 yard field goals 80% of the time, and someone will pay for your college.

9 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Vedvik, pronounced CORE-ee VED-vick

I don't know about that. The D in his last name should be silent. The "vik" in his last name (Norwegian word for bay) is pronounced more like "vEEk". By the way, that is also how Norwegians pronounce the "vik" in viking.  I don't know how to write out pronunciations correctly, but it is prounced like you would phonetically read this in English: Veveek.

And the long "ee" they have at the end of his first name shouldn't be a long E sound. It is a short 'e' sound, like "eh" -- similar to the sound an 'e' makes in English "get"

The given pronunciation is heavily americanized, not how people on the southwest coast of Norway would actually pronounce the name. 

His first name is also spelled "Kåre" where he grew up. We don't have the "å" in our alphabet so "aa" is the substitution.

Source: I have been to Stavanger, Norway plenty times.

Maybe there will be more MN Vikings fans there in the future. So far I only ever saw one local guy wearing a MN Vikings shirt in all the times I visited. I hope to see more next time. I'll have to buy myself a Vedvik jersey if he is still on the team before my '20 trip to Stavanger.

• Like 1

Vedvik capped his college career impressively in 2017 when he punted and handled kickoff and field goal duties. He was named First-Team All-Conference USA as a punter after punting 59 times for 2,597 yards (44.0 yards per punt) and placing 26 of the 59 inside the 20-yard line. Opponents returned just 16 of the 59 punts for a meager total of 62 yards, which helped Vedvik rank in the top 10 for fewest punt return yards allowed by punters with at least 55 attempts.

Vedvik totaled 33 points for the Ravens during the 2018 preseason, which ranked fourth in the NFL. He was 8-for-9 on field goals and 9-for-9 on extra points. Vedvik’s only miss was from 53 yards. His long was from 56, and it occurred in the preseason finale. Between the preseason finale and final roster reductions, Vedvik was a victim in a late-night assault in Baltimore. His injuries led the Ravens to place him on Reserve/Non-Football Injury, and Vedvik worked his way back to his 2019 preseason debut last Thursday against Jacksonville.

Vedvik went 4-for-4 on field goals and 2-for-2 on extra points. His 14 points lead the NFL this preseason. He was successful on kicks from 55, 45, 26 and 29 yards. Vedvik averaged 55.5 yards on two punts with a long of 58 and a net of 48.0. He also handled six kickoffs after three-time All-Pro Justin Tucker handled the Ravens first two kickoffs of the game.

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-kaare-vedvik-5-things-to-know?sf217387764=1

15 hours ago, Klomp said:

Hey @swede700....

As a senior in high school, Kaare Vedvik didn’t play football. After spending a year in Kansas as a foreign-exchange student, Vedvik headed back to Norway and instead spent his days scouring the Internet searching for contact information of college coaches.

He used lists of Football Bowl Subdivision and Football Championship Subdivision schools and emailed his film and personal information to every school and every coach he found.

“That kind of became the game I was playing rather than actually kicking,” said Vedvik, who’s a place kicker and a punter. “I had already proved I could kick while I was in the States. That was just trying to get my name out there.”

Vedvik received a couple of responses, but nothing came of those. Ultimately, he went through Kohl’s Kicking Camps, where he was rated the 13th-best kicker in the class of 2013. That led him to Marshall University, where he spent five years and began his path toward the NFL.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2018/07/30/a-soccer-player-from-norway-who-once-had-a-92-yard-punt-has-impressed-at-ravens-camp/

Through some research I figured out he was in McPherson

My wife is from just west of there in Hutchinson.  I've been there many times.  

• Like 1