Special K (and P and LS and the rest of the special teams unit)

Klomp

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

Being at the game, it was hard to tell....was he slow at kicking on the blocked punt, or really bad blocking? thanks....

12 minutes ago, Klomp said:

The blocker made a wrong read. I don't remember who it was, but he was replaced on the punt team the next time they were out there.

The Packers brought a rusher off the edge at the moment of the snap. 

Pre-snap: 

Vikings-v-Packers-Touchdown-One-A.png

At the snap: 

Vikings-v-Packers-Touchdown-One-B-edited

In that second image, Weatherly (91) is blocking GB35, Gedeon (hidden) is blocking GB44 (who's hiding him) and Ham is blocking GB54. Harris in the backfield doesn't end up picking up a rusher. 

Wilson (50) was originally designed to block Allison (GB81) but peeled off to take Jackson (GB37), leaving Allison to come free and make the block. 

Seems Harris was supposed to slide over and pick up Allison once Wilson moved to the outside rusher. Even if Wilson is supposed to stay with Allison, Harris is probably supposed to run across and react to Jackson coming off the corner, but he didn't. Maybe just didn't see him. 

Images from Arif's article on the Athletic, which is well worth subscribing to. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The Green Bay special teams unit is the best coached unit on the entire Packers team. 

Ron Zook is probably overqualified for the position, and doing a really solid job. Meanwhile Priefer has allowed the 2nd blocked punt in the Vikings last 3 games...

Edited by Nozizaki

I think it’s time that the Vikings hire a kicking coach. It’s done wonders in Baltimore. 

Honestly, I’m surprised there aren’t more around the league. Coaches (Zimmer) May not like kickers, but they are valuable pieces to the puzzle. It’s crazy that aren’t given the same benefits of coaching that the rest of the roster gets. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/22/2018 at 8:36 AM, SemperFeist said:

I think it’s time that the Vikings hire a kicking coach. It’s done wonders in Baltimore. 

Honestly, I’m surprised there aren’t more around the league. Coaches (Zimmer) May not like kickers, but they are valuable pieces to the puzzle. It’s crazy that aren’t given the same benefits of coaching that the rest of the roster gets. 

I can guarantee that they'll hire one next season.  I'm sure that Priefer will be banging the table for the budget.  Chris Boniol worked with Bailey in the past as a kicking coach for the Cowboys back in the early 2010s...maybe he can come work with him again.  Or maybe they can bring back Gary Anderson to show Bailey how to deal with kicking in Minnesota.  :D

As the fifth kicker this year in Oakland, Daniel Carlson has made nine of 10 field goals and 11 of 11 extra points (which are now 33-yard field goals). Carlson improved his kicking by shrinking his approach by one step.

Carlson: “It’s just easier to control [my kicking mechanics] when I'm a little more compact. Those steps aren’t as long. You try to be as repeatable as possible. And I’m already 6 feet 4, 6 feet 5. I’m almost at a disadvantage there because it’s harder to be repeatable when you’re that tall. As a 5-10 kicker, it’s easier to have the same exact angles and levers and stuff. I have to continue to work on staying compact in my tall frame. That way, every time I get to the ball, it’s the exact same. Adrenaline can change things, too. So you try to be the exact same as in practice as you are in a game and just carry all that technique over.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/09/jon-gruden-sees-daniel-carlson-as-the-real-deal-at-kicker/

and Priefer couldn't figure this out for the guy? jeeeez....

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1