Who won the Khalil Mack trade?

Humble_Beast

Who won the Khalil Mack trade?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Who won the Khalil Mack trade?

• Bears
    • Raiders
    • What in the world is Jon Gruden thinking?

I might be bias because I’m a packer fan (I will also say that I was against gb trading for Mack) but I’ll say Oakland won and Chicago was stupid for making tho deal. I don’t think Chicago is close enough to make this worth their time. They are still a 7 win team. If you are going to make a trade like this for a non qb, you have to be somewhat close. In 3 years Mack will 30, they’ll be paying him 20m a year, and won’t have as many young pieces. For Oakland they got picks (cheap labor with 4 years of control) and extra cap space. It sucks for this year, but in 3 years they’ll be better off

2 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I might be bias because I’m a packer fan (I will also say that I was against gb trading for Mack) but I’ll say Oakland won and Chicago was stupid for making tho deal. I don’t think Chicago is close enough to make this worth their time. They are still a 7 win team. If you are going to make a trade like this for a non qb, you have to be somewhat close. In 3 years Mack will 30, they’ll be paying him 20m a year, and won’t have as many young pieces. For Oakland they got picks (cheap labor with 4 years of control) and extra cap space. It sucks for this year, but in 3 years they’ll be better off

Generally speaking, pass rushers age well. Also, a pass rusher being 30 years old is not old. Chicago clearly won this trade by acquiring arguably the best edge defender/pass rusher in the NFL and locking him up. The only way Oakland can win this trade is if they find another Khalil Mack-level player with either of those two 1st round picks, which isn't likely.

• Like 1

Chicago isn’t close to being a contender and just dealt away multiple first round picks and doled out tons of cap space for a non QB. People can make fun of the Raiders all they want but the power two first round picks wields, especially when both picks could end up in the top 10 is pretty crazy.

They’ll now have four first round picks over the next two years and already have a good QB. Sometimes you have to make tough sacrifices to build a winner. This seems like one of those situations. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pigsooie5 said:

Mack is arguably superior to Donald at a more premiere position. I know you’re gunna jockey for your guy but let’s be realists here.

Yes, let's be realistic here. Few people, outside of maybe Bears fans, think there's an argument for Mack being even equal to Donald. Both are pass rushers, so I fail to see how Mack plays a more premiere position. I'd take Von Miller over Mack, so I don't think Mack deserved a penny more than what Von got. Instead, the Bears paid him more than the best defender in football. Mack is a great player, but he's not on the same level as Aaron Donald (or a healthy J.J. Watt for that matter).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Generally speaking, pass rushers age well. Also, a pass rusher being 30 years old is not old. Chicago clearly won this trade by acquiring arguably the best edge defender/pass rusher in the NFL and locking him up. The only way Oakland can win this trade is if they find another Khalil Mack-level player with either of those two 1st round picks, which isn't likely.

Yea, you're forgetting half of the importance of this trade. The Raiders get those picks AND $23 million per year in cap room that isn't going to Mack. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yea, you're forgetting half of the importance of this trade. The Raiders get those picks AND $23 million per year in cap room that isn't going to Mack. 

That 23 million is not insignificant. The way we win this trade is IF WE CAN CONSTRUCT A SOLID ROSTER. One player, as amazing as Mack is, will not do that. They won't. If we can acquire good (not great) defensive talent on rookie deals and sign smart free agents, this may help us.

Edited by MrOaktown_56
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

What do you guys think the Raiders use the 23 MIL in camp space on!?? Maybe get a Khalil Mack type pass rusher in FA!!?? *all sarcastic*

The Raiders have a lot of holes to plug. They can spread it around. I can tell you that I agree with Gruden that Mack ain't worth that much.

3 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

What do you guys think the Raiders use the 23 MIL in camp space on!?? Maybe get a Khalil Mack type pass rusher in FA!!?? *all sarcastic*

No. To sign competent linebackers cornerbacks and safeties when available. The way good teams like Minnesota can. 

I don't know where these strawmans are coming from. No one is saying you can replace Khalil Mack the individual. I'll be the first one to tell you that. But can a good young defensive line generate more sacks/pressures than one guy? Possibly. We invested heavily in Mo Hurst, PJ Hall, and Arden Key. Hopefully (I repeat hopefully), they can show some promise this year and alleviate some of the need for a franchise level pass rusher. I'm hoping some of our young edge guys like Fadol Brown and SHilique Calhoun, who did play well in preseason (for what it's worth) will also continue to develop under Paul Guenther and MIke Trgovac.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah, the only way to win in the NFL is with Khalil Mack, with all of the great defenses he has lead. Without Mack, you cannot content. 

• Like 1