Nasty Nate vs Cool Joe. WEEK ONE GDT

bigbadbuff23835

Here we go!!!! Off to Baltimore for the first regular season game of 2018. Peterman is the one that gets thrown to the wolves while Josh Allen is being groomed. I’m sure we will see Allen at some point this season, just not sure when. Hopefully we can go 2-2 in our first 4 games, incredibly unlikely but we are gonna have to if we wanna have a shot at squeaking in the playoffs for the SECOND YEAR IN A ROW. Sounds good to say. Good luck and good health. Let’s circle the wagons.

34 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Here we go!!!! Off to Baltimore for the first regular season game of 2018. Peterman is the one that gets thrown to the wolves while Josh Allen is being groomed. I’m sure we will see Allen at some point this season, just not sure when. Hopefully we can go 2-2 in our first 4 games, incredibly unlikely but we are gonna have to if we wanna have a shot at squeaking in the playoffs for the SECOND YEAR IN A ROW. Sounds good to say. Good luck and good health. Let’s circle the wagons.

This was the safe move. You can always bench Peterman for Allen without causing an uproar. If you started Allen and he flopped then media and fans will be asking for Beane's head as a knee jerk reaction. With the oline being the way it is and no new changes are expected this may be the safest but also the right call. If Peterman struggles even if they win a couple of games he will be benched just like they did with tyrod last year. Im not a huge fan of peterman and think preseason is overrated to distinguish if he is good or not. Majority of his game plan were with guys who are no longer on the team. He stares his weapons down and give chances for interceptions like he did last year which is a major concern. If they lose to Baltimore because offense cant get it going and they struggle mid game against Chargers i could see Allen coming in then like the texans did with Savage and Watson last year week 1. If Peterman shocks people including myself then he should stick it out until the bills are considered out of the playoffs then put allen in to get reps.

We open with one seriously difficult stretch of games this year. I was expecting an 0-4 start to be honest, maybe 1-3 if the Chargers are jet lagged for that early week 2 game. Now, I am slightly optimistic that we might be able to upset the Ravens. Key to this is that Jimmy Smith won't be suiting up. He's easily the best corner the Ravens have, so maybe there will be some mistakes we can take advantage of. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000950015/article/ravens-cb-jimmy-smith-suspended-for-four-games

My guess is that we will need quick-strike plays for good chunks of yardage to set up any scores. I'm expecting an ugly game due to our OL play, but think we might have enough chance to move the ball in chunks as often as we give up sacks and lost yards.

Bills 23

Ravens 20

It's gonna be really depressing after this game though as we get owned for several weeks. Even if we can take down the Chargers, I see 5 straight losses after that...and only a max of 5 total wins for the season. It's a process.

I'd say going 2-2 in the first 4 games would be like winning the superbowl for us. That will be a brutal stretch, especially for our weak O-line and secondary (I know the safety combo is great but behind Tre who do we have?). I like the idea of letting Peterman show us what he's got against some fierce teams all while letting Allen grow and learn. I think we will struggle a lot this year, honestly...but the future truly is promising. 

Also, why do we have to open the year in Baltimore again?! It's the second time in 3 years...

I like the Bills as a sleeper here.

People are underrating Peterman off one performance last year, he looked good in the Colts game and amazing this preseason. I'd rather have Allen in there but I trust McBeane.

No one scares me on the Ravens offense and the Bills defense got a lot better this year.

Kyle Williams, Star Loutulei, Trent Murphy, Jerry Hughes, Shaq Lawson, Tremaine Edmunds, Poyer, Hyde, White and Vontae Davis lets goooo. EDIT: Harrison Phillips too

20-17 Bills.

1 hour ago, The BILLievers said:

I like the Bills as a sleeper here.

People are underrating Peterman off one performance last year, he looked good in the Colts game and amazing this preseason. I'd rather have Allen in there but I trust McBeane.

No one scares me on the Ravens offense and the Bills defense got a lot better this year.

Kyle Williams, Star Loutulei, Trent Murphy, Jerry Hughes, Shaq Lawson, Tremaine Edmunds, Poyer, Hyde, White and Vontae Davis lets goooo. EDIT: Harrison Phillips too

20-17 Bills.

I think the bills are a sleeper the entire season not just one game. As always the media pundits hate the bills. Last year they were saying how mediocre Tyrod was now that he was traded the bills made a massive mistake and has dropped drastically in qb talent. No matter what the bills organization does they will be hated. The one good thing is the media cant really rip the bills if they lose cause they are already so low on them. 

I don't know how you guys are so optimistic about this week and this year. The defense (so far) has looked just OK, not great like we need it to be. Still can't seem to get consistent pressure on the QB – let's hope a healthy Trent Murphy creates a spark. The offense – pfft... our offensive line is a disaster. If we lose Dawkins for any amount of time we're in deep trouble. McCoy will be the focus of every opposing defense, so I expect him to have a tough year, and our wide receivers are pretty average. A lot of work and improvement is needed from us if they want to change my personal outlook. Our schedule does us no favors.

The Ravens defense is very talented, even without Jimmy Smith. I don't like our chances this week. Good news, I think Joe Flacco is trash and they won't be efficient on offense either. That said, I still think they're the better team right now, plus they are the home team. 

23-16 Ravens. 

As for the season as a whole...

@ BAL L
LAC L
@ GB L
@ MIN L
TEN W
@ HOU L
@ IND W
NE L
CHI L
@ NYJ W
- BYE -
JAX L
@ MIA L
NYJ W
DET L
@ NE L
MIA W

Finish 5-11. Chicago, @ MIA and possible Detroit are all games we could sneak out a win though.

1 hour ago, NickChowaniec said:

I don't know how you guys are so optimistic about this week and this year. The defense (so far) has looked just OK, not great like we need it to be. Still can't seem to get consistent pressure on the QB – let's hope a healthy Trent Murphy creates a spark. The offense – pfft... our offensive line is a disaster. If we lose Dawkins for any amount of time we're in deep trouble. McCoy will be the focus of every opposing defense, so I expect him to have a tough year, and our wide receivers are pretty average. A lot of work and improvement is needed from us if they want to change my personal outlook. Our schedule does us no favors.

The Ravens defense is very talented, even without Jimmy Smith. I don't like our chances this week. Good news, I think Joe Flacco is trash and they won't be efficient on offense either. That said, I still think they're the better team right now, plus they are the home team. 

23-16 Ravens. 

As for the season as a whole...

@ BAL L
LAC L
@ GB L
@ MIN L
TEN W
@ HOU L
@ IND W
NE L
CHI L
@ NYJ W
- BYE -
JAX L
@ MIA L
NYJ W
DET L
@ NE L
MIA W

Finish 5-11. Chicago, @ MIA and possible Detroit are all games we could sneak out a win though.

I think the predictions are pretty early. I would wait and see how the 1st two games go before projecting what the other 14 will be. Preseason means nothing. You have your main starters who barely play and when they do they arent going 100%. Shady even said it at his media day yesterday he knocks some rust off during practice goes in  to a preseason game to get the feel of live play but is cautious on his cutting to prevent any injuries thats what most do. Browns were 4-0 last offseason and couldnt win a game in regular season. A lot of people including myself thought that 5-11 last year was positive thinking. I am not saying bills are superbowl contenders but I do expect them to win 7-9 games like they pretty much have done the last decade. In the last 10 years only 1 season they had less than 6 wins and I think their squad is better then 2010. The oline is sketchy against the pass but how are they with the run? Shady is what carried that offense last year even with teams stacking the box. This is going to be a huge indicator of what the offense can do. Defense I think has upgraded from last year so I am not overly concerned with them. They brought in a run stuffing DT in star and added phillips so the bills should improve against the run compared to last year. Vontae David worries me but EJ Gaines missed half the year with injury and Davis is definitely an upgrade to Shareece Wright. All in all I do not expect the bills to be as bad as the media projects them to be. Even with a tough schedule they will be able to get things done especially if KBenji stays healthy, people forget he wasnt 100% healthy after getting him half way through the season. He has had time to gel with both Peterman and Allen and has recovered from his knee issue. KBenji isn't an elite talent like Brown, Odel, Julio, or Green but he is still a #1 wr and would be for most teams. He is a huge target and can make #1 wr catches at times. If he is healthy the bills have a tier 2 wr on their hands which most teams do not even have. Some may think I am being optimistic or biased but a healthy KBenji is the best wr in the AFC East. Stills, kearse, hogan, edelman are decent wr but they are not true #1s on any other team in the NFL. Jordan Mathews and Andre Holmes were also injured last year with Kerley and Holmes being healthy I think the WR group has improved from last year. Again the only true position that suffered for the bills is the oline which was not predicted to be the way it is because of Wood injury and incognito going off the rails. Watching the 1st 2 games with the oline will pretty much sum up what the rest of the season would look like. Still same scheme run the ball peterman manage clock, and defense step in to make the big plays when needed. Hausch money making those 50 yd fgs when needed as well.

4 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

I think the predictions are pretty early. I would wait and see how the 1st two games go before projecting what the other 14 will be. Preseason means nothing. You have your main starters who barely play and when they do they arent going 100%. Shady even said it at his media day yesterday he knocks some rust off during practice goes in  to a preseason game to get the feel of live play but is cautious on his cutting to prevent any injuries thats what most do. Browns were 4-0 last offseason and couldnt win a game in regular season. A lot of people including myself thought that 5-11 last year was positive thinking. I am not saying bills are superbowl contenders but I do expect them to win 7-9 games like they pretty much have done the last decade. In the last 10 years only 1 season they had less than 6 wins and I think their squad is better then 2010. The oline is sketchy against the pass but how are they with the run? Shady is what carried that offense last year even with teams stacking the box. This is going to be a huge indicator of what the offense can do. Defense I think has upgraded from last year so I am not overly concerned with them. They brought in a run stuffing DT in star and added phillips so the bills should improve against the run compared to last year. Vontae David worries me but EJ Gaines missed half the year with injury and Davis is definitely an upgrade to Shareece Wright. All in all I do not expect the bills to be as bad as the media projects them to be. Even with a tough schedule they will be able to get things done especially if KBenji stays healthy, people forget he wasnt 100% healthy after getting him half way through the season. He has had time to gel with both Peterman and Allen and has recovered from his knee issue. Jordan Mathews and Andre Holmes were also injured last year with Kerley and Holmes being healthy I think the WR group has improved from last year. Again the only true position that suffered for the bills is the oline which was not predicted to be the way it is because of Wood injury and incognito going off the rails. Watching the 1st 2 games with the oline will pretty much sum up what the rest of the season would look like. Still same scheme run the ball peterman manage clock, and defense step in to make the big plays when needed. Hausch money making those 50 yd fgs when needed as well.

69iaC4V.jpg

People do pre-season record predictions every year, myself included. Waiting two weeks is kinda pointless conversation.

You mention some improvements, but fans of other teams think the same thing. A lot of teams think they filled holes and improved at various positions, not just Buffalo. 

We've absolutely taken steps back on the offensive line regardless of pass versus run block ability. We lost 3 major pieces to a position group that needs continuity and stability more than any other. Dawkins is the only guy on that line who has proven to be an above average player. I don't think we can say Peterman is an upgrade over last season (yet). We will likely look better at WR for sure, assuming we stay healthy. Shady is Shady, he'll get his stats. I do think he'll have a lot harder time this year. Our rushing attack without Tyrod will change how defenses gameplan. Something to think about in terms of McCoy's efficiency running the ball.

Defensively as a whole I think we upgraded. You mentioned all the points I would, I agree there. Star, Murphy, and Edmunds are all potentially big upgrades. Is it enough to get us where we were last year and make up for any offensive issues? We'll see. 

To put it simply, I'm not optimistic about our record and that's ok because I think we're heading in the right direction as a team.

Archived