Nasty Nate vs Cool Joe. WEEK ONE GDT

bigbadbuff23835

16 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

69iaC4V.jpg

People do pre-season record predictions every year, myself included. Waiting two weeks is kinda pointless conversation.

You mention some improvements, but fans of other teams think the same thing. A lot of teams think they filled holes and improved at various positions, not just Buffalo. 

We've absolutely taken steps back on the offensive line regardless of pass versus run block ability. We lost 3 major pieces to a position group that needs continuity and stability more than any other. Dawkins is the only guy on that line who has proven to be an above average player. I don't think we can say Peterman is an upgrade over last season (yet). We will likely look better at WR for sure, assuming we stay healthy. Shady is Shady, he'll get his stats. I do think he'll have a lot harder time this year. Our rushing attack without Tyrod will change how defenses gameplan. Something to think about in terms of McCoy's efficiency running the ball.

Defensively as a whole I think we upgraded. You mentioned all the points I would, I agree there. Star, Murphy, and Edmunds are all potentially big upgrades. Is it enough to get us where we were last year and make up for any offensive issues? We'll see. 

To put it simply, I'm not optimistic about our record and that's ok because I think we're heading in the right direction as a team.

I agree with what you say its fun however im just tired of the constant beat down bills get from media. They do it every year I was hoping since they made the playoffs they would relax on them but it seems like nothing has changed. I do not agree on the 3 major pieces, people keep throwing Cordy Glenn out there as a major piece but he has been irrelevant to the bills for the last 2 years now. Losing Wood and Incognito is a huge blow and will likely be the #1 move come this offseason. I truly believe that Wyatt teller is an upgrade to Ducasse and hasnt had his fair share of playing with the 1s I wish they played him in a preseason game with Dawkins next to him to see what he can do. He may be an answer in the future but the Center and Guard positions are a liability. Petermans quick release will give some defenses troubles at times that is one thing I never saw from tyrod he always waited giving the defenses time to adjust. One thing I would like to see daboll do is a hurry up offense that can make opponents struggle as they will be gassed at times if they go no huddle more like college and that could be a way of making up for the weak oline. Im not expecting to be playoff bound in any way last year was a fluke and 2019-2020 is the chance beane and Mcdermott will prove they are the capable Gm HC if not then that is when the bills need to make adjustments as 2020 season would be year 4 of their process.  

The Ravens have a top-10 defense and we have inarguably the worst OL in the league, absolutely 100% the right move to throw out Peterman and even if he blows, you stick with him for these first 6-7 weeks to take the bludgeoning because frankly I agree with Nick, we are going to be pretty terrible offensively and the defensive upgrades along the line I don't believe are significant enough to counter balance our deficiencies there.

I know it's easy to point to Tyrod as the root of the problems with our offense last year, but this is a team where if we wanted offensive success we should have a guy with his skill set to shoulder the burden for Allen. The line is horrible, the receivers are average at best, Shady is another year older and has dealt with off-season drama since July. Tyrod is inarguably a better QB than Peterman and Allen right now. Could Peterman show that he's at least able to keep his head above water and improve week to week with live action? Of course. Could Josh Allen become a franchise QB with time and the proper development? Of course. But having a steady hand at QB like we HAVE had the last few years masks a lot of warts and I fear that this is going to be a very, very ugly football team to watch play on offense this year.

Defensively, our secondary will have good safety  play but the CB spot opposite Tre is not going to be very good and I expect whoever it is to get picked on a lot given Tre's pedigree and talent. Linebacker is still going to be a positional weakness even with Edmunds, he's a rookie and we have little NFL caliber depth around and behind him at the position. He's going to learn through the fire and that's gonna get ugly. I do think the pass rush will be good, Hughes was still an impact player last year when healthy and I believe him and Trent Murphy will be a top-12 tandem this year if both can stay healthy, Star isn't much of a pass rusher inside but Kyle and the rest of the rotation should be passable or at least collapse the pocket more than we saw last year with a fat and lazy Dareus and Aldolphus Washington seeing significant snaps (please lord may that never happen again).

Our ceiling IMO is 6 wins, this is a BRUTALLY tough schedule with an incredibly young team that's gonna have a ton of money and still a lot of very good draft capital for next season to make a meteoric improvement if Allen or Peterman can, you know, play QB good. But this is going to be the year I figured we'd have last year if not for the AFC being a complete tire fire. It's going to be ugly and scrappy and hard to watch and we might only win a couple games.

9 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

I agree with what you say its fun however im just tired of the constant beat down bills get from media. They do it every year I was hoping since they made the playoffs they would relax on them but it seems like nothing has changed. I do not agree on the 3 major pieces, people keep throwing Cordy Glenn out there as a major piece but he has been irrelevant to the bills for the last 2 years now. Losing Wood and Incognito is a huge blow and will likely be the #1 move come this offseason. I truly believe that Wyatt teller is an upgrade to Ducasse and hasnt had his fair share of playing with the 1s I wish they played him in a preseason game with Dawkins next to him to see what he can do. He may be an answer in the future but the Center and Guard positions are a liability. Petermans quick release will give some defenses troubles at times that is one thing I never saw from tyrod he always waited giving the defenses time to adjust. One thing I would like to see daboll do is a hurry up offense that can make opponents struggle as they will be gassed at times if they go no huddle more like college and that could be a way of making up for the weak oline. Im not expecting to be playoff bound in any way last year was a fluke and 2019-2020 is the chance beane and Mcdermott will prove they are the capable Gm HC if not then that is when the bills need to make adjustments as 2020 season would be year 4 of their process.  

To be fair we made the playoffs then gutted a lot of the best players on that team for draft capital. It's a long term strategy and one I and many others agreed with. But that does mean that it makes this year liable to be rough. You can't just lose your starting QB, starting LT, LG, C, and a lot of other key positional depth and figure to still be okay. We're probably gonna be bad, it's okay to be bad if it's in service of being better the next year, but this is gonna be one of those "watch for the positives and hopefully they turn into something" years.

45 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

But can you blame the media? We're starting Nathan Peterman and all they've seen from him so far has been awful. And our offensive line is full of nobodies and cast-offs (to the media). Our best WR is hardly ever fully healthy and Zay Jones has done nothing to make note of yet. Do I agree or care about their assessment, no, but it's not unrealistic. I'd rather be looked at as an underdog anyways. Exceeding expectations is more enjoyable, like last year.

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

The Ravens have a top-10 defense and we have inarguably the worst OL in the league, absolutely 100% the right move to throw out Peterman and even if he blows, you stick with him for these first 6-7 weeks to take the bludgeoning because frankly I agree with Nick, we are going to be pretty terrible offensively and the defensive upgrades along the line I don't believe are significant enough to counter balance our deficiencies there.

I know it's easy to point to Tyrod as the root of the problems with our offense last year, but this is a team where if we wanted offensive success we should have a guy with his skill set to shoulder the burden for Allen. The line is horrible, the receivers are average at best, Shady is another year older and has dealt with off-season drama since July. Tyrod is inarguably a better QB than Peterman and Allen right now. Could Peterman show that he's at least able to keep his head above water and improve week to week with live action? Of course. Could Josh Allen become a franchise QB with time and the proper development? Of course. But having a steady hand at QB like we HAVE had the last few years masks a lot of warts and I fear that this is going to be a very, very ugly football team to watch play on offense this year.

Defensively, our secondary will have good safety  play but the CB spot opposite Tre is not going to be very good and I expect whoever it is to get picked on a lot given Tre's pedigree and talent. Linebacker is still going to be a positional weakness even with Edmunds, he's a rookie and we have little NFL caliber depth around and behind him at the position. He's going to learn through the fire and that's gonna get ugly. I do think the pass rush will be good, Hughes was still an impact player last year when healthy and I believe him and Trent Murphy will be a top-12 tandem this year if both can stay healthy, Star isn't much of a pass rusher inside but Kyle and the rest of the rotation should be passable or at least collapse the pocket more than we saw last year with a fat and lazy Dareus and Aldolphus Washington seeing significant snaps (please lord may that never happen again).

Our ceiling IMO is 6 wins, this is a BRUTALLY tough schedule with an incredibly young team that's gonna have a ton of money and still a lot of very good draft capital for next season to make a meteoric improvement if Allen or Peterman can, you know, play QB good. But this is going to be the year I figured we'd have last year if not for the AFC being a complete tire fire. It's going to be ugly and scrappy and hard to watch and we might only win a couple games.

Yup. Well said on everything. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if we won 3 games or at most, 7. We have a lot to figure out, but that's ok. We're doing it right (so far, it seems).

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

To be fair we made the playoffs then gutted a lot of the best players on that team for draft capital. It's a long term strategy and one I and many others agreed with. But that does mean that it makes this year liable to be rough. You can't just lose your starting QB, starting LT, LG, C, and a lot of other key positional depth and figure to still be okay. We're probably gonna be bad, it's okay to be bad if it's in service of being better the next year, but this is gonna be one of those "watch for the positives and hopefully they turn into something" years.

Cordy Glenn played 12 of 32 games in the last 2 years still do not understand why people keep on saying that he was our starter. Dion Dawkins proved he is more then capable of starting at LT with Glenn expendable. Yes losing Incognito and Wood definitely hurt.  I still try to understand how Tyrod is an upgrade yes he has played and peterman only played a couple of games last year but tyrod ended the year as dead last in passing thats what a qb does they throw the ball. Peterman takes risk that can work in the bills favor or hurt them. Running game is still going to be what matters. Defenses may not have to qb spy like they did last year with tyrod running the ball but lets be honest they were stacking the box anyways because no real defense was threatened by him throwing the ball. Thats why they were dead last in pass attempts to a wr because he was captain checkdown. The unknown in Peterman may be a step down from dead last but that is going to quickly change by the end of week 1. I was not high on Tyrod and i had every right to be with him throwing less than 100 yards in 3 games and not producing a td in 4 of them. That is awful stats. Im not backing peterman either saying hes going to be the next tom brady because he is not. Im just saying that him and tyrod essentially cancel themselves out. So the defensive line increased the offensive line decreased with Incognito and wood gone. Im not high on them and say 10 wins or more but im not low on them based off of preseason which is less than 5 wins. I do not see any major differences compared to last year. Bills always have enough talent to be in the 7-9 win range and i think thats where they end up this year. Its going to be an interesting year even if most including myself are looking ahead to the 2019 offseason. 

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

I am all for being optimistic but Shady had 58 yards in the 2016 seaosn opener and our offensive line, QB and WR are worse now then they were then. Possibly our offensive coaching as well.

I honestly don't know how we'll score unless Haush money kicks a few 50+

Raven's secondary has some concerns especially with Jimmy Smith being out so we're probably going to have to attack underneath.

Looks like I messed up on the schedule somewhere when I said there would be 5 straight losses after the Chargers game. I still say we end up with 5 wins coming out of these 6 games: @BAL, LAC, @IND, CHI, NYJ, DET. I'd be stunned if we got 6 wins and I'm OK with that. I like the direction we are going and believe it is setting us up for some long term success. I don't even remember the last time I felt that way about this team!

After watching last nights game it seems like Atlanta is wasting money on Mohammed Sanu as they only look at Hooper, Freeman and Julio as passing options. Since they drafted Ridley in the 1st round they may look to move Sanu, what do you guys think about an out of the air scenario if he was available? Think him and Kbenji would be a nice duo moving forward and fairly cheap for the next 3 years

4 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

After watching last nights game it seems like Atlanta is wasting money on Mohammed Sanu as they only look at Hooper, Freeman and Julio as passing options. Since they drafted Ridley in the 1st round they may look to move Sanu, what do you guys think about an out of the air scenario if he was available? Think him and Kbenji would be a nice duo moving forward and fairly cheap for the next 3 years

I’d be allllllllll about it

6 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Not a fan. Won't compliment each other very nicely. Both are strictly Split End recievers... Doesn't solve our Flanker problem.

This game will certainly give us a good indication of how we are going to fair for the season. The Ravens have a great defense and an average at best offense. If we can stop the run and force Flacco to throw I think we have a chance. It will also give us an exposure to what a real defense will do to our offensive line which is a frightening prospect. I'm not very confident but last season showed that you could never really know. Our offensive line looked okay in the run game so if we can get some moderate success there we have a chance at a decent season. 

I think this will be a win for us... 23-17... Shady dominates bad weather games and I expect much of the same in the rainy slop we will be playing in. Shady always has better footing and is in more control of his body than everyone else on the field in rain or snow

Archived