Mariota expectations

deeluxx3

I am unsure what to expect I have a ton of respect for Marcus and his ability especially in crunch time. I just think there is so much being different about the offense that he will struggle some being comfortable with what he sees down field I also am not on the running game band wagon I have not seen Henry be consistent enough and I don’t think he had good enough lateral movement to be a lead back hopefully Lewis can repeats his performance from last year and be a effective drop off option.    But min...

68% comp 3400 yrd 17td  10 int 4 fumbles.   400 plus yards running. Play in 14 games.     That should put us in the playoffs

9 hours ago, quiller said:

I am unsure what to expect I have a ton of respect for Marcus and his ability especially in crunch time. I just think there is so much being different about the offense that he will struggle some being comfortable with what he sees down field I also am not on the running game band wagon I have not seen Henry be consistent enough and I don’t think he had good enough lateral movement to be a lead back hopefully Lewis can repeats his performance from last year and be a effective drop off option.    But min...

68% comp 3400 yrd 17td  10 int 4 fumbles.   400 plus yards running. Play in 14 games.     That should put us in the playoffs

Henry will be fine, he played in a zone blocking scheme in Alabama, the problem wit Henry is he’s like AP, he’s a workhorse RB, he needs carries to get in rhythm. Splitting carries disrupts his consistency 

Mariota's 16 game averages for his first 2 seasons were 300/487, 61.6%, 3700 yards, 27 TDs, 11 Ints, 93.8 QB rating,  356 yards rushing, 6.4 ypa, 2 TDs, 11 fumbles

Those were his averages extrapolated over 16 games.  Aside from the fumbles, I expect no less than those numbers from Mariota this season:

16 games, 3700 yards, 62 comp %, 27:11, 93+ qb rating... add 300 yards rushing and 3 rushing TDs, no more than 3 fumbles. 

Honestly I ******* hate this organization. Mariota has become exactly what I feared when our ******* sorry *** organization decided to keep Mike Mularkey around as the head coach. We've ****ed over Mariota's development and now he's damaged goods, along with injury prone. We had a franchise QB sitting there at #2, and we ruined him.

Before he got hurt he had a few innacurate passes and was 9/15 (60%) 104 yds and 15 yards on the ground.

Roethlisberger didn't get hurt today and threw 3 INTs and lost a fumble.

QBs have bad games, he's fine. We all anticipated a slow start from him, I don't know why everyone was so shocked about it.

Now the injuries, that is another story, but at the same time who are you going to replace him with? 1st overall pick Baker Mayfield? Josh Allen? Free agent pickups Tyrod Taylor or Case Keenum? Prematurely acclaimed hall of famer Deshaun Watson?

Easy answer is we're not going to replace him. Might as well expect him to play 13 games a year and get a 15 mil a year backup.

Today is the first day I thought, maybe we might have to do this without Marcus.

It is reasonable to have doubts. 

But he didn't look bad before the injury.  He wasn't Hall of Fame, but he was playing where I thought he could have ended up 20-29 208 yards and a TD. 

16 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Today is the first day I thought, maybe we might have to do this without Marcus.

It is reasonable to have doubts. 

But he didn't look bad before the injury.  He wasn't Hall of Fame, but he was playing where I thought he could have ended up 20-29 208 yards and a TD. 

He didn’t look bad, and this is a bad sample game to even cast judgement on. Fact is that he shouldn’t have continued playing after the injury. But his inability to stay healthy is clearly something that’ll linger throughout his career

This past week, I was actually thinking about the possibility of life without Mariota. This is in no way an overreaction to yesterday's game... thought about posting this Saturday. 

It was in relation to what the Rams have done this offseason and what the Bears appear to be doing. I don't think Goff and especially not Trubisky are better than Mariota. But those front offices are seemingly trying to go the "Seahawks" way. Although it's hardly a new idea... in fact in the past 6 seasons you've had 2 HOF QBs win 3 SBs... and 3 teams with stacked teams and QBs on a manageable rookie contract (Ravens, Seahawks, Eagles) win the other 3. Is a trend...

The further back you go, the more exceptions are found, but the CBA and contracts have evolved so much in the past decade, it's hard to make apples to apples comparisons. But you just don't see many non-HOF QBs running super bowls while they're among the highest paid players st the position. 

We wasted the rookie contract portion of Mariota's career... and now the front office has a tough choice to make... do we think he's a legitimate HOF type QB?

And if not, are they willing to take the risk of letting him go and go back into the rookie qb sweepstakes (first time for JRob and Vrabel both)? The third option is eventhough they know hes not that level of qb, still pay him like a top QB, using up the cap space, and while we'll probably a playoff contender for a while, we may not have the cap space and ammo to compete with those other teams (those w/HOF type QBs or those on rookie qb contracts)

Just something I've been kicking in my head the past week or so...

I can see us franchise him if he plays inconsistent this year. The injuries are what are going to make me question him more than anything.  He is a QB that we can win with and that can win games for us.  

Concerning yesterday, we all knew there would be some growing pains with this offense. It is asking him to do things, he hasn't always done, new mechanics...etc.  

We saw some of those pains yesterday, along with some of the good.

I started to think about life without Mariota when he got injured. I started to actually think, I could see Robinson pull the plug on him, since he "didn't pick him."  Same with Vrabel.  I think every coach and GM will get the chance to pick a QB before they get the axe. Unless you are Murlakey....no comment. 

I still expect Mariota to have a solid year. It might not be groundbreaking, but I think he puts up respectable numbers.

37 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

This past week, I was actually thinking about the possibility of life without Mariota. This is in no way an overreaction to yesterday's game... thought about posting this Saturday. 

It was in relation to what the Rams have done this offseason and what the Bears appear to be doing. I don't think Goff and especially not Trubisky are better than Mariota. But those front offices are seemingly trying to go the "Seahawks" way. Although it's hardly a new idea... in fact in the past 6 seasons you've had 2 HOF QBs win 3 SBs... and 3 teams with stacked teams and QBs on a manageable rookie contract (Ravens, Seahawks, Eagles) win the other 3. Is a trend...

The further back you go, the more exceptions are found, but the CBA and contracts have evolved so much in the past decade, it's hard to make apples to apples comparisons. But you just don't see many non-HOF QBs running super bowls while they're among the highest paid players st the position. 

We wasted the rookie contract portion of Mariota's career... and now the front office has a tough choice to make... do we think he's a legitimate HOF type QB?

And if not, are they willing to take the risk of letting him go and go back into the rookie qb sweepstakes (first time for JRob and Vrabel both)? The third option is eventhough they know hes not that level of qb, still pay him like a top QB, using up the cap space, and while we'll probably a playoff contender for a while, we may not have the cap space and ammo to compete with those other teams (those w/HOF type QBs or those on rookie qb contracts)

Just something I've been kicking in my head the past week or so...

I love Marcus as much as the next, but just based off of what we've seen there's no way I'm giving him top dollar especially when he's always getting hurt. I don't however think he's had a fair shot bouncing between 3 offensive coordinators in 4 years and being stuck in a Robiskie offense for 2 of those years. We still haven't seen him in a competent offensive scheme for the entirety of even one game yet so obviously we need to see how this year plays out.

We all believe he can be a successful franchise QB with a scheme built to his strengths, but there's a difference between believing it and seeing it. What are the chances that if he has a lack-luster year we re-sign him to a cheap (in comparison to other QB's) team friendly deal? If what is said about LaFleur's offense is true in that it usual takes until the end of year 1 to year 2 for the QB to really come in to form, that scenario could possibly be what ends up working out best for us. Only time will tell. I personally hope he picks up the offensive quickly and proves what we all believe he can be and we finally know for certain we have our franchise guy. That check to Sharpe on the corner blitz was beautiful yesterday, as was the deep ball to Taylor that he dropped, so you know he's at the very least capable of reading the defense, checking in to the right play, and having good ball placement. But then you also get plays like the end zone pass to Walker that was nearly intercepted in which he needs to zip the ball in there, the deep ball to Stocker in which he needs to lead him better and we have a TD, or even the 17 yard throw to Davis in the first quarter that could have been a longer gain if he leads him. Obviously he will never be perfect, no QB is, but he just needs to be more consistent and make the throws we all know he is capable of making. Maybe once he gets his new mechanics down we'll see that consistency.

I honestly feel bad for him. You could clearly see his frustration last year, his body hasn't held up as well as he and all of us would have liked, has to keep learning new offenses and now is changing his mechanics too as I just mentioned. He's been thrusted in to a lot.

His injuries force you to think about life without him, simply because every year we are at some point.......without him.
I say franchise him, if this year is up and down.  
We don't go into an off-season looking for a street free-agent or turn to some rookie with a team being built to win now.

I definitely expected growing pains... tried to explain to everyone to expect about a month for everyone to get on the same page.

The 2nd drive was specially frustrating... andhe he I don't know if it was timing or Mariota just not trusting himself. The deep pass to Stocker was underthrown, and a better pass would have been a TD. The first and goal pass to Delanie was way too late, almost got picked off, a better pass(faster read/release) is a TD. Same with the 3rd down pass,  late and horrible placement. Overall I just saw him try to finesse and loft passes when needed to put zip olb them instead. 

On the positive, that pass to Taylor was a thing of beauty... he made a couple of awesome pre snap reads. Before the injury and interceptions, you could see the offense humming, even with Mariota not firing in all cylinders... you could see how the design is going to help us pick up chunks of yards and score points. Even with Walker out, we should see this happen sooner than later. Mariota just didn't have a chance to get on the same page with everyone... that's been my biggest gripe this offseason. Vrabel got too cute and I knew all along it would hurt us the first month or so

Archived