Mariota expectations

deeluxx3

9 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I definitely expected growing pains... tried to explain to everyone to expect about a month for everyone to get on the same page.

The 2nd drive was specially frustrating... andhe he I don't know if it was timing or Mariota just not trusting himself. The deep pass to Stocker was underthrown, and a better pass would have been a TD. The first and goal pass to Delanie was way too late, almost got picked off, a better pass(faster read/release) is a TD. Same with the 3rd down pass,  late and horrible placement. Overall I just saw him try to finesse and loft passes when needed to put zip olb them instead. 

On the positive, that pass to Taylor was a thing of beauty... he made a couple of awesome pre snap reads. Before the injury and interceptions, you could see the offense humming, even with Mariota not firing in all cylinders... you could see how the design is going to help us pick up chunks of yards and score points. Even with Walker out, we should see this happen sooner than later. Mariota just didn't have a chance to get on the same page with everyone... that's been my biggest gripe this offseason. Vrabel got too cute and I knew all along it would hurt us the first month or so

What do you mean here that Vrabel got too cute?

1 minute ago, deeluxx3 said:

What do you mean here that Vrabel got too cute?

With the whole injury thing... I get bets don't always participate in the off and preseason... but eith a whole new staff and offensive/ defensive systems in place... I think he coddled the players too much. 

Here we are at the start of the season... against what is not a good Dolphins team... and we didn't look ready... injuries aside.... our most important player,  Mariota didn't have the timing down... missed so much time with Walker, Davis, Mathews,etc.  

6 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

With the whole injury thing... I get bets don't always participate in the off and preseason... but eith a whole new staff and offensive/ defensive systems in place... I think he coddled the players too much. 

Here we are at the start of the season... against what is not a good Dolphins team... and we didn't look ready... injuries aside.... our most important player,  Mariota didn't have the timing down... missed so much time with Walker, Davis, Mathews,etc.  

no argument from here

7 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I just think it's funny how overly secretive he was with all the injuries and there we were at the end of the game with no Marcus, Lewan or Delanie. Nevermind the fact that our 1st and 2nd rounders didn't play because of injuries. Or how Matthews, Morgan and Orakpo were all dealing with their respective injuries and who knows, maybe that's why they were all invisible. Really great advantage you gave us there by keeping it a secret all those weeks Mike. 

Posted this in the Week 1 Thoughts thread. Figured I'd go ahead and throw it in here too since it's about #8...

Before his injury Marcus just seemed a little too hesitant on some of his throws which led to those under throws and being late on what should've been a Delanie TD. I'll go ahead and chalk that up to him just not being comfortable in the new offense yet. I'm starting to have overarching concerns about his injuries though.  As special as I've always thought he could be as a player, and as badly as I want him to be our guy going forward, it's going to be really difficult for us to commit to him long term if he keeps getting nicked every week. As much as I've defended him on here through bad offensive schemes that I still think hindered his development early on, the injury bug is just something that can't be ignored when we evaluate what decision to make on him going forward. I hope that he starts next week and plays the rest of the season injury free, but it feels like an all too familiar trend and something that I'm afraid we'll always be talking about when it comes to him.

On 9/10/2018 at 3:28 PM, deeluxx3 said:

Vrabel needs to worry more about coaching this team and getting them prepared, rather than trying to always be a hard-@$$

Another note on Marcus -- he was so CONFIDENT as a QB in 2016. What the hell happened?

Agree on Vrabel. Also, I didn’t like that he didn’t back up Taylor Lewan as much as I thought he would while speaking on Monday— however, I thought I heard him almost say in his interview .... “If we play them again...” (and then regressed).. anyone else catch this?...  At the end of the day though, it’s way too soon to make a judgement on him.. by week 4 I’ll form an opinion.

I don’t ever see Mariota being a top 10 quarterback honestly. I think he’s a top 15 QB at best. Yes, his ability to run is great but he CANNOT stay healthy anymore. I really think his health issues have affected his confidence to a large extent. For this game against Houston especially, we need to protect him by throwing quick screens, slants, and shorter routes. If he is sacked 2-3 times in the first quarter, his confidence will be WRECKED and I think we don’t stand a chance if this happens.

39 minutes ago, Mariota615TN said:

Agree on Vrabel. Also, I didn’t like that he didn’t back up Taylor Lewan as much as I thought he would while speaking on Monday— however, I thought I heard him almost say in his interview .... “If we play them again...” (and then regressed).. anyone else catch this?...  At the end of the day though, it’s way too soon to make a judgement on him.. by week 4 I’ll form an opinion.

I don’t ever see Mariota being a top 10 quarterback honestly. I think he’s a top 15 QB at best. Yes, his ability to run is great but he CANNOT stay healthy anymore. I really think his health issues have affected his confidence to a large extent. For this game against Houston especially, we need to protect him by throwing quick screens, slants, and shorter routes. If he is sacked 2-3 times in the first quarter, his confidence will be WRECKED and I think we don’t stand a chance if this happens.

Thing is he wasn’t sacked in Miami. I think the hit that injured him was the only time he was hit in the pocket. We just have to hope the lack of confidence is due to the new offense. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived