Mariota expectations

deeluxx3

Marcus has a lot of that I can and will figure out what it takes to win and get it done. In past been hurt by trying too hard too much. Seemed to settle that some last year 

but even with that when those around you make mistakes it makes it tough. Now he has worked through a mistake or two.  

But in the Bills game not only was there too many mistakes but he was also dealing without the a pro LT and his back up that was a little too much to overcome yet still we ended up loosing on a last sec FG

I believe Mariota will eventually put together an MVP-caliber season somewhere down the line. He truly can be that good. But no, I don’t think he will ever be the year-in, year-out world beater like Brees, Brady, Rodgers, or probably even Rivers or Big Ben. 

Sadly I think this organization has somewhat dampered his potential with so many different systems so early in his development, and the injuries and lackluster supporting casts have done him no favors either. Having said that, I do believe he’s a good enough and smart enough player to somewhat overcome that  and still go on to have a very solid career. 

That’s my relatively objective viewpoint as someone who’s watched him since he entered the league. 

Funny you mention Brees... I was thinking about it last night as I saw how amazing he still is.  He wasn't very good at the start of his career.  In fact, when you look at his stats, Mariota compares favorably so far (using Brees' first 5 seasons, since he basically sat his whole rookie year)...

• Brees - 58 GS, 30-28, 12,348 yards, 62.2 comp %, 80:53, 84.9 QB rating
  • Mariota, 45 GS, 21-24, 10,152, 61.9 comp %, 60:38, 87.4 QB rating

When I say A. Smith is Mariota's floor, I mean I don't want to settle for him being that.  I don't think he'll ever reach Brees status... but why not set that as his ceiling?  Brees has never had a monster arm... but he's become deadly accurate... and even with that accuracy, is prone to int problems... finishing with 15+ ints 9 times in his career. 

By the end of his 5th season (what I'm using as a comparison basis), Brees was 26 years old.  Mariota is only 25 right now.  Of course, Brees' stats got better through those first 5 seasons... and Mariota's stats have gotten worse (although I do think he's a better QB, regardless of the numbers).

But why can't Mariota continue developing?  A decent turn around turn around/end to the season this year puts his passing stats' pace ahead of Brees.  And at those respective points in their careers... are they really different QBs?  (Other than Mariota is more athletic)

3 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Funny you mention Brees... I was thinking about it last night as I saw how amazing he still is.  He wasn't very good at the start of his career.  In fact, when you look at his stats, Mariota compares favorably so far (using Brees' first 5 seasons, since he basically sat his whole rookie year)...

• Brees - 58 GS, 30-28, 12,348 yards, 62.2 comp %, 80:53, 84.9 QB rating
  • Mariota, 45 GS, 21-24, 10,152, 61.9 comp %, 60:38, 87.4 QB rating

When I say A. Smith is Mariota's floor, I mean I don't want to settle for him being that.  I don't think he'll ever reach Brees status... but why not set that as his ceiling?  Brees has never had a monster arm... but he's become deadly accurate... and even with that accuracy, is prone to int problems... finishing with 15+ ints 9 times in his career. 

By the end of his 5th season (what I'm using as a comparison basis), Brees was 26 years old.  Mariota is only 25 right now.  Of course, Brees' stats got better through those first 5 seasons... and Mariota's stats have gotten worse (although I do think he's a better QB, regardless of the numbers).

But why can't Mariota continue developing?  A decent turn around turn around/end to the season this year puts his passing stats' pace ahead of Brees.  And at those respective points in their careers... are they really different QBs?  (Other than Mariota is more athletic)

I know 100% that Marcus will be the QB for the foreseeable future. He has shown too much to be cast away. QBs are too hard to find. 

The Brees comparison is a beautiful ray of hope for a future. 

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:
1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

If Mariota was in the Rams offense, you couldn't convince me that he wouldn't be putting up big numbers. 

Exactly. I 100% believe he would be just as or more effective than Goff. 

passing no. overall game? Maybe.

25 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Give Goff Sharpe, Jonnu Smith, Taylor, and Williams and remove Gurley and see if you think he's that much of a better passer than Mariota.

You can't speak in absolutes about hypotheticals.

6 minutes ago, TitanSS said:
31 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Give Goff Sharpe, Jonnu Smith, Taylor, and Williams and remove Gurley and see if you think he's that much of a better passer than Mariota.

You can't speak in absolutes about hypotheticals.

Yeah I can, I've watched both play.

Archived