? Week One: Bucs (0-0) @ Saints (0-0)

bucsfan333

2 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

There was an article last year (PR, I think) that was an interview with Sapp. He said the biggest thing when rushing the QB is that the dline has to work as a unit. We have guys running to each other all the time, which kills any shot at the QB. Sapp said they used to talk and figure out what they were gonna do each snap instead of trying to have four different rushers doing whatever they wanted.

We need some of that. Hopefully Buckner has insisted on and coached some of that chemistry into the line. We'll find out Sunday.

Some of the line stunts last year, yikes.  My favorite was taking the DE and having him loop and try and get through the opposite B gap.  I saw the Eagles run that stunt once in the first half.  I just dont understand how DC think DEs would be that fast or offenses that slow where this is a good idea.

23 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

At least Stewart seems like a go. Probably gonna be Davis and VHIII outside with Stewart in the slot.

Nothing like throwing the rookies into the fire.

Let’s hope the pass rush lives up to the hype and takes the pressure off the secondary.

19 hours ago, Buc Ball said:

Nothing like throwing the rookies into the fire.

Let’s hope the pass rush lives up to the hype and takes the pressure off the secondary.

Not having Grimes makes me feel uneasy, mostly cuz he is a vet, but he didn’t have a great camp. With how Stewart has been playing in the slot and Davis with his attitude, coupled with VH3’s more aggressiveness, might be a better starting CB lineup. 

3 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Not having Grimes makes me feel uneasy, mostly cuz he is a vet, but he didn’t have a great camp. With how Stewart has been playing in the slot and Davis with his attitude, coupled with VH3’s more aggressiveness, might be a better starting CB lineup. 

Only if we play more press coverage. All three of those guys play better football when they're aggressive and physical with WRs.

2 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Only if we play more press coverage. All three of those guys play better football when they're aggressive and physical with WRs.

Good add. Completely agree. Hopefully Smith lets them. I mean Davis is a press CB. If Smith tries to play off coverage with him he should be fired immediately.

4 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Good add. Completely agree. Hopefully Smith lets them. I mean Davis is a press CB. If Smith tries to play off coverage with him he should be fired immediately.

I'm worried. We drafted all three early. We knew they were all physical guys. The defense we run is off coverage. Is Smitty gonna adjust his defense to the personnel we heavily invested in or is he gonna force them to play his stupid soft coverage?

29 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I'm worried. We drafted all three early. We knew they were all physical guys. The defense we run is off coverage. Is Smitty gonna adjust his defense to the personnel we heavily invested in or is he gonna force them to play his stupid soft coverage?

Well like I said, if he doesn’t adjust and play to our guys strengths, he will be fired sooner or later cuz we will lose a lot of games. I have to think that looking at camp and some preseason that we are going to play more aggressive physical defense, which would lead to more press coverage. Smith might also feel more comfortable with the press coverage if he has more confidence in Justin Evans single high.

So I am back to football mode. I say this because I have not paid much attention to NFL in the offseason this year, so I am just catching up now.

Not trying to be a mega downer here but our draft class already looks bust AF before kickoff begins.

1st round pick Vita Vea hasn't practiced in a month

2nd round pick Ronald Jones looked horrible in preseason. Yes I know he only got to run with backup O-line who were getting him killed but I am also reading that he overall has not grasped our playbook yet that well. That is a major reason he is the 3rd back on the depth chart.

Now the next 2nd round pick MJ Stewart I have not seen at all in preseason(I mainly only watched starters play), but seeing as he is 3rd on the depth chart on a team that where CB was a major weakness last year is not a good sign

Carlton Davis(our last 2nd round pick) I do not know much about because once again I have missed off season news but it seems like he is 2nd on the depth chart

Like I know its very premature but this is already not good signs. I am starting to get the popular opinion that Jason Licht is the the best at drafting. If this draft class tanks, he seriously needs to consider hiring some assistance to help him draft

9 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

I m pretty sure when Grimes was out against Carolina at home last season both Smith and Hargreaves played a lot of press that game.  Now, was it just for the opponent?  Not sure.  My assumption with a lot of young guys, it may be easier for them to play more press because there is less to think about.

45 minutes ago, Calibucsfan said:

So I am back to football mode. I say this because I have not paid much attention to NFL in the offseason this year, so I am just catching up now.

Not trying to be a mega downer here but our draft class already looks bust AF before kickoff begins.

2nd round pick Ronald Jones looked horrible in preseason. Yes I know he only got to run with backup O-line who were getting him killed but I am also reading that he overall has not grasped our playbook yet that well. That is a major reason he is the 3rd back on the depth chart.

Now the next 2nd round pick MJ Stewart I have not seen at all in preseason(I mainly only watched starters play), but seeing as he is 3rd on the depth chart on a team that where CB was a major weakness last year is not a good sign

Carlton Davis(our last 2nd round pick) I do not know much about because once again I have missed off season news but it seems like he is 2nd on the depth chart

Like I know its very premature but this is already not good signs. I am starting to get the popular opinion that Jason Licht is the the best at drafting. If this draft class tanks, he seriously needs to consider hiring some assistance to help him draft

Davis and Stewart are both expected to start tomorrow. Stewart has been really impressive in the slot. Davis has been up and down but he looks like an NFL CB.

Rojo's preseason play needs an asterisk. He was hit at or behind the LOS on almost literally every rushing attempt he had. Dude didn't stand a chance. The rumors of him struggling with the playbook and his shaky (at best) hands are legitimate concerns though.

Vea is an unknown. It sucks that he's been banged up. But with the depth we have at DT right now there's no need to rush him back.

We've also got Cappa who has looked alright. And Whitehead should see a decent amount of playing time. Watson looks like he's gonna be a good one.

It's early. Let's see some meaningful football before we jump to conclusions.

42 minutes ago, Calibucsfan said:

Yeah this makes no sense. 

Jones concerns me.  I wasn’t high on him anyways In the draft process and would have taken Royce freeman to be honest. But it’s still early. 

Davis and Stewart have flashed in camp so reading the depth chart means nothing. Whitehead Davis and Stewart have all done well and had their rookie mistakes. 

Justin watson looks like a keeper. So does Cichy. 

Vea got hurt so this is a little panicky and uneducated to even make such a post with no research. 

Archived