Comparing the 2017 & 2018 INITIAL Rosters

TheOnlyThing

2 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I don’t know about anyone else but like I’m amazed at how deep and talented we are at CB now ( shouldn’t though, we have spent SO much draft captial on it). With Brown on practice squad we have King, Alexander, Jackson and Brown that have a shot at making this secondary special.

You left off TW.
Were you thinking him when you typed Brown?

11 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Could be a possible returner and an alternative to Davis. If Davis was released in the next few weeks it would ease the pressure on the WR room and balance out the RB group a little better. Not saying it will/should happen, but it might.

Could. Has he done any return work?

34 minutes ago, Leader said:

You left off TW.
Were you thinking him when you typed Brown?

No... my focus is more on next year and beyond. Williams will be the elder statesman and player coach these guys up for this year and next.

But I don’t think this group will hit special if Williams is a big minutes guy. That’s not a knock on him at all. He will become our Terrence Newman. I’m just excited about the depth and the lack of undrafted project guys from nowhere state.

i loved Jackson and brown in this draft. Brown might be the next Hyde for us, if he develops. He has some CB/S to him , I feel. Jackson and King make for big imposing boundary guys with Alexander being your star/Woodson in the slot.

Just excited. A lot of size and speed there. Wouldn’t be shocked if in 2 years we are mentioned as an amazing secondary if all goes right with Pettine 

pcmx1tfxv9o2sthjdlgq

Hawkins upgrade ^^^ haha

44 minutes ago, Cheech said:

This is a wash to me as well.  Gilbert is more or less what Brooks gave us last year.  I think we'll still see someone added in the next few weeks.  

Hard to compare those two players. Gilbert is young and improving while Brooks was old and declining. That doesn't mean that Gilbert will be any better than Brooks, but he very well could be. 

Just now, Greg C. said:

Hard to compare those two players. Gilbert is young and improving while Brooks was old and declining. That doesn't mean that Gilbert will be any better than Brooks, but he very well could be. 

Talking to a guy who was pounding the table for Gilbert over Fackrell, Biegel, etc. last year.  I love what he brings.  Brooks brought a lot of the same.  He was good vs. the run and he had some decent pressures.  I personally think Gilbert could rack up to 5 or 6 sacks if he's given the time that a #3 OLB usually gets.  

Just now, Cheech said:

Talking to a guy who was pounding the table for Gilbert over Fackrell, Biegel, etc. last year.  I love what he brings.  Brooks brought a lot of the same.  He was good vs. the run and he had some decent pressures.  I personally think Gilbert could rack up to 5 or 6 sacks if he's given the time that a #3 OLB usually gets.  

Agree with all of this, and think Gilbert equates to what Brooks did/would have done if he'd not gotten injured last season.

My thought at OLB was with Clay a year older and Perry coming off another surgery, I don't know if the 2018 Clay-Perry combo is not a bit of a downgrade from the 2017 Clay-Perry combo.

Now, if as you suggested earlier, Gute can somehow add someone to takeover the #4 slot, then this position also would be at least a slight upgrade as well.

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

I'm not a fan of cutting Rip either. I've got a relative over and we're discussing this right now actually. Who's protecting Rodgers in the backfield?

Jamaal Williams... he is clear and away our best blocker. It’s why he is RB 1. It’s why he will see most of the snaps on third down.

QB=Push

RB=Better (More experience with the rookies)

TE=Better (How much better will remain to be seen but Bennett set the bar pretty low last year)

WR=Worse (Jordy of 2017 is better than Geronimo of 2018 with Rodgers as a starter)

OT=Push (Bulaga will be older and coming off another surgery, but Spriggs will be better with another year of experience)

OG=Push (I could see this group being worse depending on how McCray does.)

OC=Push

+++

DL=Better (How much better is up very murky at the moment. Even if Wilkerson is crap, at least Lowry is a year older.)

ILB=Worse (Ryan is a better player than Morrison, and Burentt is a better player than Burks right now.)

OLB=Push (This could easily be argued as worse with Clay being a year older and Gilbert not having any history, but Fackrell and Brooks were both lousy last year.)

CB=Better (I have no idea how our CBs are going to perform this year. All 5 of them could suck and I wouldn't be surprised by any one instance of it. You just have to think your odds are going to be better than last year.)

S=Worse (Burnett's a better player than Brice and Jones still sucks.)

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

DL=Better (How much better is up very murky at the moment. Even if Wilkerson is crap, at least Lowry is a year older.)

I have higher hopes for M. Adams than I do for Lowry.  Lowry let my *** down last year.  Adams could be the #3 by the end of the year if he can get off his blocks.  

Clark just keeps on getting better.  I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see some serious pressure numbers.  

5 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Jamaal Williams... he is clear and away our best blocker. It’s why he is RB 1. It’s why he will see most of the snaps on third down.

Could not agree more about Williams' blocking being the best among the RBs. 

I foresee that after week 3, WIlliams and Jones will share early snaps and Williams will be in on obvious passing down.

3 minutes ago, Cheech said:

I have higher hopes for M. Adams than I do for Lowry.  Lowry let my *** down last year.  Adams could be the #3 by the end of the year if he can get off his blocks.  

Clark just keeps on getting better.  I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see some serious pressure numbers.  

How so?

We're going to get pressure #'s because we have Daniels and Wilkerson are on that line. Clark just makes the pot that much sweeter TBH.

10 minutes ago, Joe said:

How so?

We're going to get pressure #'s because we have Daniels and Wilkerson are on that line. Clark just makes the pot that much sweeter TBH.

Hah.  I had really high hopes for the guy.  He was having a great camp and I thought he could be the disruptive 5T that we never really had.  

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

QB=Push

RB=Better (More experience with the rookies)

TE=Better (How much better will remain to be seen but Bennett set the bar pretty low last year)

WR=Worse (Jordy of 2017 is better than Geronimo of 2018 with Rodgers as a starter)

OT=Push (Bulaga will be older and coming off another surgery, but Spriggs will be better with another year of experience)

OG=Push (I could see this group being worse depending on how McCray does.)

OC=Push

+++

ILB=Worse (Ryan is a better player than Morrison, and Burentt is a better player than Burks right now.)

OLB=Push (This could easily be argued as worse with Clay being a year older and Gilbert not having any history, but Fackrell and Brooks were both lousy last year.)

CB=Better (I have no idea how our CBs are going to perform this year. All 5 of them could suck and I wouldn't be surprised by any one instance of it. You just have to think your odds are going to be better than last year.)

S=Worse (Burnett's a better player than Brice and Jones still sucks.)

DL is significantly better. Clark is better, added Adams and Wilkerson.

WR is a push at worst, too. Adding the three rooks is better by November than what Jordy offered last season. Even at the beginning it's a push. If Adams is any better (possible), I could see Cobb being a push. I don't see a dropoff in the group.

Archived