Comparing the 2017 & 2018 INITIAL Rosters

TheOnlyThing

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

DL is significantly better. Clark is better, added Adams and Wilkerson.

WR is a push at worst, too. Adding the three rooks is better by November than what Jordy offered last season. Even at the beginning it's a push. If Adams is any better (possible), I could see Cobb being a push. I don't see a dropoff in the group.

Not sure I see Clark being better than last year. Clark was excellent last year. I'm not sold on Wilkerson and while I like Adams better than Wilk, he's also basically a rookie.

4 hours ago, Leader said:

Could. Has he done any return work?

I don't think Darius Jackson has done much. What he does have is lightning speed, he runs low and can cut on a dime. He has also caught a few passes, so he isn't completely new to that.

What he cannot do is run through contact.  He is more likely to dance than get hard yards.

All in all, I'd say he has some of what you need as a returner. The elite speed is there, the sharp cutting is there, he can catch (though i'm not sure just how reliable he is there). What he isn't going to do is break tackles. That may be enough to be a good returner (everyone has weaknesses), though he isn't anything like a sure thing.

He is Intriguing though, and he may also have a niche on offense as a runner streaking to the edge and turning upfield (he has the speed and can cut sharply). It does continue the preference for elite athletes on the team, this last few years.

23 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Not sure I see Clark being better than last year. Clark was excellent last year. I'm not sold on Wilkerson and while I like Adams better than Wilk, he's also basically a rookie.

Clark looks to be about where he left off last year, so that's good.  I'm not sold on Wilkerson either, but I felt he bounced back with a nice game against the Raiders after a pretty up and down performance against the Steelers.  Was more active getting off blocks and showed more toughness against double teams.  If that's the Wilkerson we get all year that's a definite upgrade over 2017, but we'll see.  Adams also looks solid so far this preseason, so as a group I think they're a touch deeper than they were.  A lot of it depends on whether or not Mo or Adams can provide any kind of consistent pass rush.  

When we signed Wilkerson, my mind went back to those annoying Giants teams that used to run out an endless supply of DL. Now I'm not saying that we can touch their lineup, and I don't even know if times have changed too much (so much nickel and dime), but it's the first time in a long time that we could win the trenches on defense. Guys like Lowery are nice to have and won't lose you games, but they won't win you any either.

Of course the two big IFS would be Wilkerson and Adams becoming loads. I know. Big IFS

Petine saying he liked running games up front if there was a matchup he liked also went into my thinking. 

Injuries will plague the Packers more than the NFL average as long as McCarthy is around. It's gotten to the point that he has them playing flag football throughout August. Then suddenly they're supposed to be able to survive 35 car crashes a game? The body doesn't work that way. Lack of acclimation to contact equals tense muscles and rigid tendons which equals susceptibility to pulls and tears. The Packers will drop like flies as usual until near midseason when the bodies of the players left standing will be finally be accustomed to the rigors of NFL physicality. Just have to hope for some luck as to the importance of those who drop by the wayside and the severity of their injuries.

20 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Injuries will plague the Packers more than the NFL average as long as McCarthy is around. It's gotten to the point that he has them playing flag football throughout August. Then suddenly they're supposed to be able to survive 35 car crashes a game? The body doesn't work that way. Lack of acclimation to contact equals tense muscles and rigid tendons which equals susceptibility to pulls and tears. The Packers will drop like flies as usual until near midseason when the bodies of the players left standing will be finally be accustomed to the rigors of NFL physicality. Just have to hope for some luck as to the importance of those who drop by the wayside and the severity of their injuries.

Lol

My initial take at 2am;

QB wash, maybe asmall downgrade- AR a year older, higher injury risk, still great

RB slight upgrade- all young guys, can do things. Injury concerns, but we have volune

WR/TE- wash, small potential upgrade - JG helps. I can’t get too excited about 4th-6th round picks popping. We essentially have the same squad, but no JN (who you can argue was washed up or had chemistry)

OL- slight downgrade- depth about the sams, already have injuries 

DL- slight upgrade with potential - MW helps a bit. Clark probably improves, Daniels might drop. Does Adams or Lowry pop (likely not)

LB- about the same slight downgrade- age related to clay and Perry. Unless Burks steps when he’s ready, it will be a weak unit. Ryan out

Secondary- slight upgrade- with potential- corner has potential and 5 bodies that can play vs 3 last year at this time. Burnett is a small hit

Other factors; 3rd place schedule, Pettine over Capers; slight improvement

Basically, we really need to see these young guys play. I think we have a slightly better roster with potentially a mediocre D (which would be big) and a very good O. We’ll see how players progress and regress. I could see us in the title mix for sure, or I could see a wild card team that is like 1 and done (baring AR injury)

6 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

This is so dumb because it's not a Packers specific thing. It's not McCarthy, it's the entire CBA.

Archived