Week 1: Jacksonville Jaguars @ New York Giants

Acgott

Let's goooooooo!!!! So excited to see the results of all the changes to be made. I don't have high expectations for the season or even expect us to win this game, but I'm really excited about seeing these things:

- The explosive tandem of OBJ and Saquon

- Seeing Bettchers defense in action

- How Eli looks in the new offense

I'm suuuper excited for this season. Not due to any expectations either, just so many different things to see. An entirely new defense, Saquon, the return of OBJ. Jacksonville's defense is fantastic, we know this. But their offense has to show me they can move the ball before I give up hope in this game. Of course, I'm most excited for that first catch in space for Saquon!

Can not wait, so many new things:

- Get to see OBJ healthy for the first time in over a year

- Saquon for more than 4 plays and how the offense will look with him in it

- How the offense will look in general with all the weapons we have, and how they will all get involved in the game.

- Bettchers defense in full action with all the new pieces and being a 3-4 

Just can't wait Go Big Blue!!!

No idea if they can win this or not. Just to many Xfactors right now to know what to even expect. Jacksonville is a really good team so I wouldn't be surprised if they came away with the W. I'm just hoping for a good showing against a good team. First 8 weeks or so are brutal so any W is huge but as of now I think this is an L

The Giants need to avoid long distance downs.  That’s when the Jaguars passrush feasts, similar to the Giants when we had Osi, Tuck, Kiwi, JPP, etc.  Establishing a running game to set up play action is so important against this type of defense.  Might be tough with Dareus in the middle.  It’s hard for me to be optimistic until I see the offensive line playing better.  

That said, if we can force a few turnovers against Bortles, we have a shot.

I’m also worried about that jackass cornerback they have.  He’s going to try to get under OBJs skin.

15 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

The additions of Solder and Hernandez seem to be great in solidify the left side of the o-line. That being said, how do you guys expect the other side of the o-line to perform? 

Poorly. Expect lots of 21 formation with Ellison staying in as a blocker. Both Omameh and Flowers played better than their PFF numbers indicate, but they still aren't good. They could get dominated against the line the Jaguars have. Fowler being out helps a lot, but Marrone is an idiot if he isn't lining up Yannick against Flowers every 3rd down.

All that said, I think we take this one. B|

34 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Poorly. Expect lots of 21 formation with Ellison staying in as a blocker. Both Omameh and Flowers played better than their PFF numbers indicate, but they still aren't good. They could get dominated against the line the Jaguars have. Fowler being out helps a lot, but Marrone is an idiot if he isn't lining up Yannick against Flowers every 3rd down.

All that said, I think we take this one. B|

It's Calais on the other side of Yannick...a guy who was a strong DPOY candidate last year. I think having him go against Flowers will work out just fine. Yannick has made solid/good LT's look poor plenty of times. 

Just now, .Buzz said:

It's Calais on the other side of Yannick...a guy who was a strong DPOY candidate last year. I think having him go against Flowers will work out just fine. Yannick has made solid/good LT's look poor plenty of times. 

Ereck Flowers is not a good T by any stretch, but he looks like the worst in the NFL against speed rushers like Yannick. He fares much better by comparison against power rushers. Either one can/will beat him, I'm sure, but Yannick will embarrass him. Flowers has got no punch and lowers his head regularly. Faster edge rushers throw his hands down and literally run circles around him.

3 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Ereck Flowers is not a good T by any stretch, but he looks like the worst in the NFL against speed rushers like Yannick. He fares much better by comparison against power rushers. Either one can/will beat him, I'm sure, but Yannick will embarrass him. Flowers has got no punch and lowers his head regularly. Faster edge rushers throw his hands down and literally run circles around him.

I just don't see him going over there much. Yannick is pretty much exclusively against every teams LT. So I wouldn't expect it to change if we didn't do that last year (which seemed to work out just fine). 

OV being out is a pretty big blow. Connor Barwin is the only other proven pass rusher on the roster. Bettcher is going to have to be creative, which he is, to produce pressure. This means we should see a lot of Zo Carter though, which I am really excited about. Only one defensive player impressed me more than he did this preseason. Out of the draft, I viewed him as an athletic, high potential player that was raw and underachieving. He showed hustle, great instincts, and savvy hand usage and pass rush movements in preseason. Most importantly, he showed great coverage ability, which I don't think anyone expected. 

It's a new year, so anything could happen, but my thoughts are if we don't win this game, it could be a while before we get our first win. If we can make a few plays on offense and we can stuff their run game, we have a very good chance of winning. 

Archived