Packers sign LB Korey Toomer

Arthur Penske

I posted this in another thread, I'll paste it here:

https://ninernoise.com/2018/07/08/49ers-2018-series-linebacker-korey-toomer/

Apparently got halfway decent scores from PFF (mid-high 70s in both run and pass) last season. Had 4.53 speed when drafted in 2012. Bounced around the league a lot. Not a savior but on paper he looks like a nice addition at a spot where we are pretty severely lacking to start the season. Can't say I've watched him play.

Can someone remind me of the cap rules around cuts ?

• I thought anyone on the roster day 1 after cuts  got their salary guaranteed. Am I imagining that or is it not day 1 yet ?  Surely we wouldn't have guaranteed Waters money and then cut him ?
  • If Kumerow is going to IR - his salary is paid for by Packers isn't he ?  Is it really worth it for a minor injury ?  Wouldn't it better to have an injury settlement

Do we really need all these MLB ?   That's 5 now isn't it ?   With the option of playing Jones there are well. 

3 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

• I thought anyone on the roster day 1 after cuts  got their salary guaranteed. Am I imagining that or is it not day 1 yet ?  Surely we wouldn't have guaranteed Waters money and then cut him ?
  • If Kumerow is going to IR - his salary is paid for by Packers isn't he ?  Is it really worth it for a minor injury ?  Wouldn't it better to have an injury settlement

Do we really need all these MLB ?   That's 5 now isn't it ?   With the option of playing Jones there are well. 

Right now we have Martinez, Morrison, Burks, Crawford, and now Toomer at ILB. Morrison can’t cover, Burks is hurt, Crawford is a nobody, and Jones and Crawford both missed time at practice this week. I like this addition quite a bit, even if its just insurance.

1 hour ago, mikemike778 said:

The salary guarantee is for vested veterans who are on the roster for the team's first game.

To be a vested veteran they need to have 4 accrued seasons.

So Herb Waters is not a vested veteran, and did not make the roster thru the first game, so he was not guaranteed the full year pay.

Archived