Terrell Suggs beyond 2018

sp6488

We are entering the final year of Terrell Suggs's most recent contract extension.  For your reference, his base salary this year is $4MM with a total cap charge of $6.2MM.  This is his age-36 season.

The question is, what would you like to see happen with him moving forward assuming he puts up relatively normal production this year?  Let's say 9 sacks with strong play setting the edge, some FF and an interception on a screen pass.

We are pretty deep at the position, but Z. Smith is a pending free agent and could get paid if he puts up good production in a McPhee-esque role.  So, we will probably have room for at least one additional player in the rotation in 2019, with two if Suggs retires.

If he wants to play in 2019, given the 2018 numbers above, how would you feel about a 3-year extension (largely for cap purposes), worth ~$15MM total with $5MM guaranteed?

Note: I want to use an assumed level of production because if he has the best season since his DPotY campaign or looks completely done, then that changes things.  Trying to avoid too many moving parts in the discussion.

I want to see Suggs used more in rotation this year, part of it because I hope he get a new 2 year contract. Even if his sack/pressure production drops off, his ability in the run and screen game as well as what he brings as a leader is worth a lot.

I believe Zardarius Smith is gone, and going from this years core to a core without Suggs and Smith is too much of a drop off imo.

3 hours ago, Danand said:

I want to see Suggs used more in rotation this year, part of it because I hope he get a new 2 year contract. Even if his sack/pressure production drops off, his ability in the run and screen game as well as what he brings as a leader is worth a lot.

I believe Zardarius Smith is gone, and going from this years core to a core without Suggs and Smith is too much of a drop off imo.

Completely agreed here. Take the load off of Suggs and let him be fresh down the stretch. We have the depth to do it, plus we need to mold the younger guys when Suggs retires. This is a great opportunity to ease them into that transition.

This will be the easiest deal we've ever made. Suggs isn't going to retire for a long time. He's all about legacy and wants more rings, the playoff sack record, to climb the all time list, and just continue to Ball So Hard. 

We'll start to manage his snap count a bit more. He's a freak but rotating him more will keep him at full power. Having a HOFer around is invaluable when you have young pass rushers like Judon, Bowser, and Williams still ascending. Suggs is the Realest Raven. 

Archived