Week 1: Eagles vs Falcons; Nicky Nine and the Banner Raising

Kiltman

3 hours ago, freeman+coleman said:

Anyway I have us losing. You guys just seem to have our number and Matt hates it when he has pressure up the middle. 

If you guys can somehow stop Fletcher Cox you might be ok, he’s looked somehow way better this year.

but we don’t have much of a push from any of the other guys, though Michael Bennett will go snide a bunch.

12 hours ago, megatechpc said:

Thanks for the invite lol.  I have said repeatedly that I really believe the Falcons have the best overall roster in the NFL going into this season (and being a Falcons fan, I'm certainly far from unbiased), but I have also repeatedly said that the Eagles (and especially playing in Philly) has historically been very tough for us.  We always seem to lose in Philly for whatever reason, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Falcons struggle (especially scoring TD's) Thursday night.  That said, I like our chances well enough.  Both teams suffered horrific preseasons in which our starting offenses couldn't get anything going at all, but we all know how predictive preseason is.  The real key to this game will be the play-calling and whether or not Sark has learned anything from the debacle in Philly last year.  Like it or not, Atlanta absolutely SHOULD'VE won that game and they played the Eagles better than any other team did in the playoffs.  I expect the Falcons defense to be even better than they were last season so Foles better watch out (especially with Beasley healthy and returning to a pure pass-rushing role).  Our secondary is constantly underrated and Trufant will shut down his side of the field.  That will leave the Eagles trying to pick on Alford on the other side, but Rocky is very aggressive to the ball so don't be surprised if he ends up with a pick or a pick-6 in this game.

The first game of the regular season is always weird in the NFL almost like a continuation of the preseason, so I don't expect to see flawless play from either team, but with how short-handed the Eagles are going in I would say Atlanta absolutely should win this game, possibly handily.  But their history playing in Philly can't simply be ignored no matter what I think should happen on paper so we will see.  No matter the result, whichever team loses will face an avalanche of media overreaction regardless of the fact that starting out 0-1 in this game won't hinder either team from being able to get where they want to go.

Meh, I’m not feeling the Eagles this game but “handily” is a bit disrespectful. 

We know what kind of team we have, if we happen to lose, no one will be overreactive. Carson will be back, Alshon will be back. We know better games are ahead of us. And I’m very confident our defense will keep us in as many games Wentz is out. The Falcons should probably win this game. But I wouldn’t be surprised if we dominate defensively. And really Foles can move the offense so it could be just a repeat of the last game the Falcons played. 

No Wentz. 

No Bradham. 

No Jernigan. 

No Jeffery. 

No Hollins. 

No problem. 

Seriously though, besides the above guys not suiting up, there are another handful or so guys not fully healthy. I think our run defense will suffer a lot, and I am not too confident in our offense. The only chance we have I think if the D plays light out and we can keep the Falcons offense under 15 points or so. 

Hopefully the Dolphins really like what they see out of Foles this game and give us their 2nd rounder for him.

I'm kidding, but seriously I hope Foles looks real good and increases his trade value enough for a team to give us their 2nd and 3rd rounder for him if a starter goes down or gets in trouble (I think Foles to TB or Miami makes a lot of sense)

14 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Meh, I’m not feeling the Eagles this game but “handily” is a bit disrespectful. 

We know what kind of team we have, if we happen to lose, no one will be overreactive. Carson will be back, Alshon will be back. We know better games are ahead of us. And I’m very confident our defense will keep us in as many games Wentz is out. The Falcons should probably win this game. But I wouldn’t be surprised if we dominate defensively. And really Foles can move the offense so it could be just a repeat of the last game the Falcons played. 

The "hadnily" bit was just because of how short-handed the Eagles are right now.  If both teams were at full strength in the middle of a playoff run I'd give the edge to the Eagles on a neutral field for sure, and would give them a TD or more advantage in Philly.  As it is, I did predict the Falcons coming away with the W in my final week-by-week predictions I just posted (mostly due to how Foles has looked and the fact that the Eagles don't have a few key pieces in the game) but that was more of a "hoping my team gets off to a good start" thing than anything else.  If I'm being 100% truthful, I don't actually expect to come away from Philly with a win on Thursday.  Chalk that up to PTSD stemming from my 30+ years as a yearly disappointed Falcons fan and the aforementioned fact that Atlanta just never plays well in the city of brotherly love...

6 minutes ago, megatechpc said:

If I'm being 100% truthful, I don't actually expect to come away from Philly with a win on Thursday.  Chalk that up to PTSD stemming from my 30+ years as a yearly disappointed Falcons fan and the aforementioned fact that Atlanta just never plays well in the city of brotherly love...

While I do empathize with your affliction, I hope we add even more to your PTSD. You can win next week! ?

Well obviously I hope the Falcons can somehow forget about whatever it is that makes them play so bad in Philly and take advantage of the fact that the Eagles are starting their backup QB and have a bunch of other injuries to deal with.  No offense, but as one of the most talented teams in the NFL this year (and being relatively healthy as well), there's no real excuse for the Falcons NOT beating the Eagles Thursday.  If they can't do it now how do they expect to be able to do it in the playoffs when ya'll have Wentz back?

7 hours ago, megatechpc said:

Well obviously I hope the Falcons can somehow forget about whatever it is that makes them play so bad in Philly and take advantage of the fact that the Eagles are starting their backup QB and have a bunch of other injuries to deal with.  No offense, but as one of the most talented teams in the NFL this year (and being relatively healthy as well), there's no real excuse for the Falcons NOT beating the Eagles Thursday.  If they can't do it now how do they expect to be able to do it in the playoffs when ya'll have Wentz back?

it seems like in the falcons/eagles rivalry the team that isn't supposed to win does though 

7 hours ago, megatechpc said:

Do you think we were “healthy” last year in the playoffs? 

Archived