Game 1, 2018: @ Detroit Lions [MNF]

Bianconero

So, the Darnold era begins one week from tonight and on prime-time no less

This is going to be a very good test for our revamped secondary and I pray Avery Williamson will contain passes out of the backfield, namely Theo Riddick

If so, I think that we have a good chance to win; I don't rate Detroit highly

Thoughts?

Game day thread. Oh yea! Going to be a fun season. 

Offense: I think Darnold will have a decent game. I’m expecting our offense to play well this game, run and pass.

Defense: I think this game comes down to the Lion passing attack versus the Jets pass defense. It’s not going to be easy for us, which is why the Lions are favored. 

I see no reason we don't have a punchers chance to go into DET and knock them off.  We should be able to put up some points if we can keep Ansah in check as they don't have a great defense.  If we can show any pass rush at all it should be close.  Tate and Riddick are going to be tough matchups for our LB's and Skrine.  I think Tate is going to embarrass Skrine just have to hope the rest of the defense steps up.  They have been pretty awful running the football so that needs to continue.  Williams needs to have an impact.

Offensively we need to be able to win up front as DET is not a great run defense.  Control the clock with the run game and the offense should be fine.

Hate having to wait until Monday but at least it's an early start.

14 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think the jets start out on fire 

Jets 24   Lions 14

I think the Jets are going to win a close game, I don't want to get to optimistic because every time I do I end up looking like the village idiot. If the Jets win and I think they will, you can be sure they will make us sweat it out till the last second.

Glad we’re finally talking about the regular season- with absolutely no focus on “tanking” to find a QB. What a great feeling. 

I think the Jets have a better shot then they’re being given credit for in this one. I see Stafford’s late game heroics being the difference, but I think this will be a field goal game. 

Our defense should be able to handle their offense, even without a pass rusher. We’ll need to blitz more and the DBs will have to win their 1-on-1s, but feel we match up well. Our run defense should be able to contain their attach as well. The main concern: defending Theo Riddick out of the backfield. 

The way we win the game: attack the short-intermediate level of the field, preferably up the middle. Darrius Slay (CB) and Glover Quin (FS) are excellent, but the rest of the defense is vulnerable- especially their LBs. I would target TEs/Enunwa often in this game, as well as run the ball a lot. If we can do those two things effectively, we’ll be in good position to win the game. 

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

Glad we’re finally talking about the regular season- with absolutely no focus on “tanking” to find a QB. What a great feeling. 

I can't believe this is actually a true statement finally.  So many awful years of the Geno Smith's, Ryan Fitzpatrick's, and Josh McCown's of the world made me long for the Vinny and Pennington years.  I want to not have to worry about the QB position for the next 15 years.

I think the Jets will really try to come out and run the ball a lot. I could see Bilal Powell having some success on outside zone runs against a defense that really struggles against outside runs in 2017. 

I’m not sure how many of you follow Matt Waldman on Twitter, but he recently put up a video about how good of a fit Powell is for an outside zone running scheme. Being able to run the ball will go a long way in helping Darnold in his first start.

This is a big game in N Y Jets history for all you young guys,  you can tell your grandkids you saw Sam Darnolds first game as a Jet. I   have been telling you about when I saw Joe Namath"s first game as a Jet. It was a big deal back then, and it is a big deal Monday night.                

Archived