Freeman to start season at RB

MillerTime81

RB is one of those positions where the starter can often become irrelevant, but still - to actually announce him as as the starter says something about him (or Booker, or both ...)

Really interested to see our ability to run on 1st down this year. It's a cliche, but it's going to be huge in determining the success of our Offense.

Obvious cliché but having a good running game would really help Keenum and not heap all the pressure on him that he's undoubtedly going to have.

Really liked what Freeman has done in preseason. Hopefully he carries this on and has a decent season. Not expecting him to blow the league away but good games regularly would be good to see.

51 minutes ago, PFM18 said:

Not expecting him to blow the league away but good games regularly would be good to see.

I think this is what I was getting at when I said I want to see how we run on 1st down this year.

I am not expecting, nor are we requiring, 5 yards per carry. I just want to see us in 3rd and 1-4 to open up the playbook rather than the 3rd and 7+ that we've had for some time now.

When you don't have an elite OL, a QB who can make consistent tight window throws (Brady), a QB who can consistently extend the play (Rodgers) or a QB who is so good presnap that an obvious passing situation isn't that detrimental (P.Manning), being in 3rd and 7+ is just so detrimental to an Offense. The Defense can get so much more creative because of the obvious passing situation and our OL struggles to hold up in pass pro on 1st down, never mind 3rd and long.

If Royce can average 4 yards a carry on 1st down, I would bite your hand off for that.

Archived