Mayweather vs McGregor

SteelersFanMD

I really don't think people care about 50-0 that much, the only time I heard it brought up was for people to mock Conor fans (cause they said 49-1) or for boxing fans to say they won't count it towards the 50-0, and mostly the former. Unless Conor won I don't think it would change anybodies opinion on the matter. Who actually cared about it? Stephen A said he wouldn't count it but nobody argued about it with him. I don't feel like it was a major talking point before or after the fight. I knew about it but never thought it of any significance why I would watch the fight or care about it in any way.

I watched a lot of coverage on the fight before and after and can only rememeber Stephen A. bringing it up in a way that showed he cared about it.

50-0 record is more for show than anything. No one takes it serious in boxing. Plenty of fighters have surpassed that mark and it will be surpassed in a year by some Thailand fighter. It's just eventually those fighters fight long enough to lose. It's a good talking point for the casuals though, like some NBA or NFL players who think it is a big deal.

I agree with Sanchez that early on Floyd was having a tough time with Conor's awkward style and reach. I do think it was his game plan to eventually walk him down and stop him, but it took him a few rounds to figure Conor out. Conor is a skilled counter puncher so you can't just try to fight him at an distance for the entire fight. But by the 3rd or 4th round he realized Conor had little to no power to worry about so he just went into the high guard and started walking him down. Dude like Paulie said didn't even try to change any angles or properly cut the ring off, he knew it was only a matter of time. 

4 hours ago, iPwn said:

I think so. Wrestlers are all about short bursts of extreme action. The premier stamina athletes both prepare for extreme energy bursts that last a good deal of time (20+ minutes nonstop) as well as being able to perform moderate energy behaviors for hours on end.

And wrestlers typically have the hardest time transitioning to the stamina needs in MMA because they’ve only ever trained for short burst activity without ever needing to train for longer durations.

Stamina is pretty much entirely about training your heart and lungs to be able to work in those two scenarios; boxers, swimmers and cyclists are really the three groups that train those to the max, because there aren’t many other where you need both trained to extremes.

Long distance runners. But they don't train to be able to include short bursts. They are purely about maintaining a constant speed. 

“[Robert] Byrd’s calculation to call a stoppage was likely not based on signs of fatigue, but rather signs of traumatic brain injury. Ataxia, or dizziness and loss of balance, is one of the hallmarks of concussion, a type of mild traumatic brain injury. Fatigue may cause sluggish and slow movements, but does not cause the imbalance and poor coordination exhibited by McGregor in the 10th round. Being wobbly, in the setting of pugilistic trauma, will always be treated as the result of head trauma and not as fatigue. To let a fighter continue on would be grossly negligent.” —  Former ringside physician Darragh O’Carroll, MD, from his own article at TONIC.

https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article/7xxdn4/conor-mcgregor-wasnt-fatigued-he-was-at-risk-of-brain-damage

Not sure of the validity of this claim but figured it was worth a quick read. 

42 minutes ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article/7xxdn4/conor-mcgregor-wasnt-fatigued-he-was-at-risk-of-brain-damage

Not sure of the validity of this claim but figured it was worth a quick read. 

It’s absolutely true.

The only one in this thread that disagreed admitted in another thread that he was trolling because he hates Mayweather.

Yeah, I don't care how hard Floyd hits or doesn't, he's a sharp shooter and Conor was taking way too many flush shots the last two rounds. Let it even go for the rest of the round and he was in danger. Byrd did the right thing and I think deep down even Conor knows it.

5 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

I'm gonna disagree I think he'd get more in a boxing match vs Paulie than even Diaz III

Idk how anyone would think this sells. Floyd is a house holdname...Paulie is only a boxing name. Why would people pay to see mcgregor box a guy they dont know when they dont care for boxing? Because they got into a argument before the fight? Hes got two choices for boxing, 1) make sectales to the point of traveling circuses where he boxes midgets since floyd is the only name non boxers care about. 2) train a massive amount and maybe reach the pinnacle of boxing which he is already at in the Ufc. 

I can guarantee connor wouldnt make half against Paulie theb he would against diaz...idk if boxing fans know this but literally no one knows who paulie is. 

Well, people know Paulie a lot more no off their sparring sessions. Conor has reached mega star status where he is doing a million plus buys regardless of who he is fighting in boxing or MMA. Boxing allows the fighters to keep more of the purse, but I don't know if that applies to Conor who has to give a big piece to the UFC. Realistically he will make 17-20 million vs Diaz, can he make more vs Paulie? Possibly. But Conor is most certainly going to ask for more after the Floyd fight. 

More people know him if they followed this fight closely which a lot of people didnt. More people know him by the guy who sparred with connor than by name. There is no way he gets a million buys against paulie. There is nothing even to hype there. You have to be in boxing to even understand the fight and if your into boxing your probably not going to enjoy another spectacle fight instead of a legit fight.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived