The Post Khalil Mack Financial-Draft Pick Landscape

WindyCity

8 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Goldman is a huge part of the future and has to be resigned...Goldman and Hicks along are enough to control the LOS in the run game and keep guys off Smith and Danny T at ILB...that is huge considering both those guys skill sets...you then look at him as a pass rusher...as a pure NT there aren't many better pass rushers and if teams leave him one on one with a centre or reaching guard he has both the power and speed to take advantage of that and push the pocket especially if you keep him fresh which we now have the depth to do.

I'm a big fan of Amos as well but when you look at that safety market guys just aren't getting paid which shows a clear trend...Amos is a mid level contract guy and if not we draft someone else or pick up a solid vet.

Agree. @JustAnotherFan didn't want him as at 10/year but he's one of the top 5 NT's in football and assuming health, he should continue to not only stuff the run but starting notching a few more sacks. With smaller ILB's they need a big-time DL and with Hicks, RRH, Bullard, Goldman, and Nichols it's set up for success for Roquan.

16 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Not sure you could even find 5 other teams who still use a traditional 3-4. It's like someone saying we have the best fullback.

Calling Goldman a top-5 NT is ridiculous.

You think a NT is like a FB? No point continuing this conversation if your going to be that blinded.

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

You think a NT is like a FB? No point continuing this conversation if your going to be that blinded.

I think he is saying that true NTs aren't commonly used in today's NFL, like a FB. He isn't saying they have the same value in any way. 

Both posirions probably have 10-13 starters who play a meaningful number of reps. Whereas there are 90 WRs getting 30+ snaps per week easily for example. Just a bigger pool of competition to be called "Top 5" in a position. 

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I think he is saying that true NTs aren't commonly used in today's NFL, like a FB. He isn't saying they have the same value in any way. 

Both posirions probably have 10-13 starters who play a meaningful number of reps. Whereas there are 90 WRs getting 30+ snaps per week easily for example. Just a bigger pool of competition to be called "Top 5" in a position. 

None of which is Goldman's fault tho...he can only play the spot he is asked to play and in playing that spot there aren't 5 better in the NFL.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

None of which is Goldman's fault tho...he can only play the spot he is asked to play and in playing that spot there aren't 5 better in the NFL.

I get what you're saying, I'm just saying the bragging rights aren't like claiming to be a top 5 DT. Specifying NT is like being the fastest kid at fat camp. Lol

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I get what you're saying, I'm just saying the bragging rights aren't like claiming to be a top 5 DT. Specifying NT is like being the fastest kid at fat camp. Lol

No one is saying it is...just that he does the job asked of him at a very high level...nothing wrong with being a fat kid if it gets you paid lol.

7 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

No one is saying it is...just that he does the job asked of him at a very high level...nothing wrong with being a fat kid if it gets you paid lol.

I think the larger point here is how does this affect our cap? We are tying a lot of money to our DL right now. Floyd is entering his 5th year so are we going to pay him too? We can't tie up that kind of money (cap nerds correct me) into one defensive group. 

20 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I think the larger point here is how does this affect our cap? We are tying a lot of money to our DL right now. Floyd is entering his 5th year so are we going to pay him too? We can't tie up that kind of money (cap nerds correct me) into one defensive group. 

That is a good question. Floyd will have to show some major improvement with all this talent around him. If he can only get 6 sacks with Mack and Hicks taking the brunt of the focus then he probably isn't worth a big investment. 

Archived