Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

Just now, PARROTHEAD said:

He announced he took the photo for the back cover recently. Which means hes on the final stage of WOW being released and the book is done.

Its WELL worth jumping into. The characters and their build is incredible. If it never finishes, still worth it to me.

I'll believe it when I see an announced release date.

Just now, THE DUKE said:

Don't do it.  They're so damn good that the frustration on waiting (if they ever even happen) is maddening.  Until you know the book 7 release date, I'd hold off.

How dare you deny these fine people Belwas, Penny and Mushroom!

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:
5 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I'm teetering on jumping in or not. I've heard I might as well wait until GRRM finishes them or not even bother if he can't finish them.

Don't do it.  They're so damn good that the frustration on waiting (if they ever even happen) is maddening.  Until you know the book 7 release date, I'd hold off.

Agree with Duke. Can be very frustrating. I have been reading these books for 20 years now. Started in 1998 or so. 

• Like 1

You CAN go read the Dunk and Egg books.  Short (60-80 pages) stories that take place in the world and give some good back story.  Although the 4th one of those was supposed to come out about 6 years ago and still hasn't happened too.

The Hedge Knight
The Sworn Sword
The Mystery Knight

You can get them all together in the compiled A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms

3 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

You CAN go read the Dunk and Egg books.  Short (60-80 pages) stories that take place in the world and give some good back story.  Although the 4th one of those was supposed to come out about 6 years ago and still hasn't happened too.

The Hedge Knight
The Sworn Sword
The Mystery Knight

You can get them all together in the compiled A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms

Which also sucks, because you know those will never be finished, and there's no doubt what the last book would have been (Tragedy at Summerhall), and I would have liked to have read that story and seen what actually happened (though we all have a general idea of what happened). 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Which also sucks, because you know those will never be finished, and there's no doubt what the last book would have been (Tragedy at Summerhall), and I would have liked to have read that story and seen what actually happened (though we all have a general idea of what happened). 

Yeah, and I really wanted The She Wolves of Winterfell too, get an insight of the Starks before Ned.  Those 3 still at least work as standalone works though.  If the planned follow up novellas never happen it's still a fairly complete story.

28 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

That’s me, I don’t want to read the books because I have no faith that GRRM will finish them.

Smart move to be honest. The books are great but what's the point if it ends at book five?

45 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I've never read the books and I swear this prophecy was mentioned in the show.

It is mentioned in the show after Myrcella's death Jaime blames himself but Cersei says something like "I was told this would happen, there was nothing you could do to stop it.."

7 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

They showed Jon watch Sam being pinned down by wights, and while he certainly struggled with the decision, he left Sam to die to continue through the battle trying to find the Night King.

I was referencing what was going on in the credits with D&D.

5 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Smart move to be honest. The books are great but what's the point if it ends at book five?

I actually bought the first book and started reading it, but stopped once I realized the last books hadn’t come out.  And now here it is 8 years later and they’re still not out, and GRRM is like 70 years old.

19 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Not only that, but given how much bigger he's made the world (adding in Dorne and iron island subplots that are clearly building to something), I see no way in which he completes this within a two book stretch satisfactorily

• Like 1

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

I actually bought the first book and started reading it, but stopped once I realized the last books hadn’t come out.  And now here it is 8 years later and they’re still not out, and GRRM is like 70 years old.

I'm sure there's numerous and well respected fantasy authors who would love the opportunity to work on and either finish or help finish them too. It wouldn't be the first time an author has taken over another ones work and stories but I think GRRM is too full of himself to let that happen. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

I was talking to my brother about that very thing the other day.  There's nothing in the prophecy saying that AA will kill the Night King, just that he'll lead humanity through the long night.  Jon was the first to arm Arya, so that could be the direction they're going.  It seems more likely to me that they're going to just kinda push the whole thing to the side, but that could easily be their explanation.

I always thought, in the show at least, Dany would be AA, but it doesn't look like it now.  Oh well.  Definitely Jon in the books though, if they ever get written.

Azor Ahai was the one who is supposed to defeat the Darkness and the Great Other. He's talking about the Prince who was Promised, which could be something different because in slight instances in the story they are referenced upon differently. H/e most including myself thinks its the same person because the Prince may just be the reincarnation of Azor Ahai.