Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

Finale was fine. 5th episode was terrible. All of my issues with the finale are minor (Dothraki prolly would have gone wild, Unsullied would have probably massacred everyone in sight, why did Jon even tell anyone he killed Dany, etc) I don't like Bran as king, but this way Tyrion gets to rule, which is solid for the people. Sansa should be a queen so that's chill. Jaime's history getting whitewashed was whack too but w/e.

All in all they pulled it off far better than I expected it to.

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

How many of the Lords prior to Sansa saying that the North would remain independent were like, "oh damn, that was an option?"

On the one hand, it does underline how much smarter Sansa was in waiting to speak last.  But yeah, it's not as much problematic why she'd feel that way - but also underlines why Bran accepting it without any fuss is problematic (Bran as king is just problematic on so many fronts lol) - it probably generated that exact reaction from the other rulers lol.

Edited by Broncofan

Dragons only ever have one rider btw

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Nope. Not at all. Drogon clearly has a conscience after the events of today. He had a conscience during 8:1 when he stared Jon down while Jon was making out with his mom. He had a conscience when he dropped into the fighting pits to save Dany. He had a conscience when he vanished after killing a child. He had a conscience after killing the Warlock in the House of the Undying.

Is that not enough for you? 

EDIT: And the dragon didn't say that Dany deserves to die, but took it out on what really killed her. It wasn't Jon, it was the desire for the Throne.

Conscience, as in morality, not intelligence. None of those examples show he’s moral enough to let Jon live because Dany went too far, especially since he’s the actual being that burned all those innocents alive. 

“Took it out on what really killed her”? That’s like if some insane kid went on a killing spree because of some lyrics he heard on a rap CD, and was killed by a vigilante in return, and the kid’s brother/son/father caught the vigilante at the scene of the crime with a dagger sticking out of his chest, but instead of the kid’s brother/son/father getting any kind of revenge/justice on the vigilante for killing the kid ( especially outside of the law), they destroy the rap CD instead. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Is the realm going to be safe? They have a king that's not even human anymore, a hand that led to the queen's demise, and a council full of people that have no idea how to run a city.

Safe from what though? There will probably be lots of crime, but there aren't dragons and zombies and competing warlords anymore.

Is the realm going to be safe? They have a king that's not even human anymore, a hand that led to the queen's demise, and a council full of people that have no idea how to run a city.

Tyrion does. He was actually quite effective running the city in his father's stead...he wasn't well loved  because of some of the changes that were made in the books, I can't remember everything he did on the show, but he does have that history 

41 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Sansa as Queen in the North I could forecast once Dany’s fate was sealed.   Still her arc was as redemptive and complete in series long development - and unlike Bran’s ascension - completely earned.   And yet she also owned that her moves cost Jon dearly.  Her apology to him actually added depth we just have not seen paid enough to other key characters.   Bravo there.  

In the grand scheme of GOT her disloyalty to her brother/cousin is what cost him the love of his life, his right to the throne, and ultimately his life as a free man in Westeros. She sold him out to Tyrian which played a huge role in Dany going crazy and destroying the city. 

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

Just now, Broncofan said:

If you think the 2 are the same, I won't say anything to change your mind...but man, dude, it's just a show.   

FWIW, I like that Dany turned dark.  No problem whatsoever.   Just my 2 cents.  Peace.

Honestly, you should look back and see some of the insults hurled my way for disliking Dany since season 2.  I was literally called the worst crap ever for my opinion (based on the novel lore) that she was stupid and would turn insane (as Targs are want to do).  Forgive me if I feel a little bit vindicated.  I really wish I could find exactly who said it and mention them 10,000 times until they admitted they were a **** for calling me out for an opinion on the eventual outcome of the show because they had the hots for her and were convinced I was some woman hating chauvinist. 

2 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Safe from what though? There will probably be lots of crime, but there aren't dragons and zombies and competing warlords anymore.

For how long though? The council has no idea what they're doing, Tyrian's advice cost Dany everything, and Bran is a god-like prophet that doesn't seem to care about much. How long before one of the other lords of Westeros says F this we're going to take the throne? Bran has to figure out how to rebuild the city and doesn't have an army to protect him in Kings Landing. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Tyrion does. He was actually quite effective running the city in his father's stead...he wasn't well loved  because of some of the changes that were made in the books, I can't remember everything he did on the show, but he does have that history 

Tyrian's days as a good advisor are long gone. The advice that he gave Dany cost her everything, not sure how he's any help to Bran. 

In the grand scheme of GOT her disloyalty to her brother/cousin is ultimately what cost him the love of his life, his right to the throne, and ultimately his life as a free man in Westeros. She sold him out to Tyrian which played a huge role in Dany going crazy and destroying the city. 

Absolutely.  She did it though for the good of the North.   But she recognized Jon paid for her decision - but it wasn't like she thought it was the wrong decision - just that she was sorry for the pain it caused.   THAT is depth of character that GoT at its best delivered in spades.  It's a shame S8 really skimped on that with so many characters - but in Sansa's case, her arc was as complete and nuanced as possible.  Nothing but kudos.

• Like 1

Just now, Broncofan said:

Absolutely.  She did it though for the good of the North.   But she recognized Jon paid for her decision - but it wasn't like she thought it was the wrong decision - just that she was sorry for the pain it caused.   THAT is depth of character that GoT at its best delivered in spades.  It's a shame S8 really skimped on that with so many characters - but in Sansa's case, her arc was as complete and nuanced as possible.  Nothing but kudos.

Nothing but kudos, she was willing to sell out her own brother, leading to 100,000+ innocent people dying just so that she could rule in the North. Sounds a lot more evil than anything Cerci ever did. 

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

- HBO has an MCU-type world to play with now. The last eight seasons were their own Avengers, and now they can create their own prequels, individual adventures, origin stories...but then bring it all back to this timeline for their own Earth defining event. 

I completely disagree with this. This ending makes me NOT want to watch anything else they put out. If you're going with that analogy it's a DCEU.

edit: And this ending was Justice League

Edited by kingseanjohn

Just now, NYRaider said:

For how long though? The council has no idea what they're doing, Tyrian's advice cost Dany everything, and Bran is a god-like prophet that doesn't seem to care about much. How long before one of the other lords of Westeros says F this we're going to take the throne? Bran has to figure out how to rebuild the city and doesn't have an army to protect him in Kings Landing. 

I think all of the "F this I'm taking the throne" people are dead. Edmure volunteered himself, but nobody else did, and he seemed to remember that he was a dolt when he was trying to sit back down. I think everyone is just kind of sick of any kind of fighting at this point... At least story-wise.

Bran is just a figure-head. I have no idea why he's in charge. He's flying with the ravens looking for dragons. Tyrion is good with the minutia.

I also get the feeling that the "we gather here to choose every new king" idea was supposed to give us the idea that fighting over the throne was now unnecessary.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Tyrian's days as a good advisor are long gone. The advice that he gave Dany cost her everything, not sure how he's any help to Bran. 

Plotting a war and running a city are vastly different things. Though they obviously completely dumbed him down the last couple of seasons so who knows. But the tyrion in my heart would be good in this role to helping build and running a city. 

• Like 2