Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

I turned off Greyjoy, Lannister, and Martell houses because I'd rather not be surrounded by essentially pirates, soulless power grabbers, and poisoners.  Surprised we don't see houses Hightower and Manderly as main options.

Hand of the King: Lyanna Stark

Master of Coin: Syrio Forel

Master of Whisperers: Thoros of Myr

Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Brynden Tully

Grand Maester: Rhaegar Targaryen

I turned all the houses on and the only change was my Lord Commander changed to Jamie Lannister.

All sliders all the way to the left: Cersei/Khal Drogo/Olena Tyrell/Euron Greyjoy/Shireen Baratheon.  Wow, that'd be a dumpster fire

All sliders all the way to the right: Arthur Dayne/Varys/Samwell Tarly/Davos Seaworth/Alliser Thorne

If I got to pick: Brynden Tully/Jon Snow/Varys/Arthur Dayne/Luwin (House Stark maester)

A lot of the choices for Grand Maester and Master of Coin suck no matter what you do with the sliders

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I turned off Greyjoy, Lannister, and Martell houses because I'd rather not be surrounded by essentially pirates, soulless power grabbers, and poisoners.  Surprised we don't see houses Hightower and Manderly as main options.

But the Oath-Breaking, Traitorous, Lying, Deceiving, War Inducing Starks youre Okay with? And then the Targs... Add in Mad, Entitled, and Power Hungry to the Stark list.

Give me a Martell any day.

Hand of the King - Osha

Master of Coin - Craster

Master of Whisperers - Walder Frey

Lord Commanderof the Kingsguard - Khal Drogo

Grand Maester - Ramsay Bolton

Osha is a little strange but the ruthless combo of Craster/Walder Frey/Ramsay/Drogo... bring it on!

17 hours ago, burlow said:

Hand of the King - Osha

Master of Coin - Craster

Master of Whisperers - Walder Frey

Lord Commanderof the Kingsguard - Khal Drogo

Grand Maester - Ramsay Bolton

Osha is a little strange but the ruthless combo of Craster/Walder Frey/Ramsay/Drogo... bring it on!

kim-jong-un-hotel-bill-summit.jpg

On 4/9/2019 at 12:38 AM, Forge said:

I'm unsure if final season speculation is spoiler-y, so I'm going to spoiler tag this anyway: 

No way it's anybody but Jaime in my opinion. 

I considered the idea that the show would take the inverse order of the books with regards to the final round of the war down south and the war up north, and the north would never re-enter that fray, instead focusing on the others, but all the hints and reading between the lines for the northern conspiracies suggest that may not be the case. Hard to say though. In the show, I think it's sort of a weird thing to go north first to come back south - the battle with Cersei would almost be anti-climatic. 

Agreed with the first portion. We're to the point in the series where a bunch of stuff straight up has to happen or otherwise the show is just poorly executed from a literary standpoint. No spoiler tags since the last 3 pages.

• Jamie has to die in the arms of the woman he loves
    • He outright says that's how he wants to die, and his entire arc is built around the death of the Kingslayer in the Brienne's arms then the re-birth of Jamie Lannister who seeks redemption. (Likewise, Bronn should survive and get that castle he always wanted.)
    • When combined with the number of times that they talk about coming into this world together and sharing the womb, it fits that they'd go out together, and that Jamie would be the one to do it.
  • Every name on Arya's list needs to bite the dust
    • Her entire arc is offering names up to the god of death. There's a list that was repeated over and over. Illyn Payne is an exception if the writers want to pretend he never existed, but that's just a poorly executed arc otherwise.
  • Varys and Lady Mellisandre need to die in Westeros
    • LM said so.
  • A Targaryan needs to end up on the Iron Throne
    • The whole story is that Robert's rebellion was inherently a lie. If the Targ dynasty, constantly referred to as the greatest dynasty the world has ever known, isn't restored the story isn't finished.
  • Mountain/Hound need to fight, and probably should kill each other. I mean this one doesn't even need an explanation, they've teased it to death and they're clearly foils.
  • Theon and Euron need to die, since they're basically re-telling Hamlet on the Iron Islands. Sansa has been Ophelia, not Yara. I'm not sure if Yara has a direct parallel to Hamlet, presumably that was done since Yara would become Queen of the Iron Islands since everybody dies at the end of Hamlet.  

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Agreed with the first portion. We're to the point in the series where a bunch of stuff straight up has to happen or otherwise the show is just poorly executed from a literary standpoint. No spoiler tags since the last 3 pages.

• He outright says that's how he wants to die, and his entire arc is built around the death of the Kingslayer in the Brienne's arms then the re-birth of Jamie Lannister who seeks redemption. (Likewise, Bronn should survive and get that castle he always wanted.)
    • When combined with the number of times that they talk about coming into this world together and sharing the womb, it fits that they'd go out together, and that Jamie would be the one to do it.
    • Her entire arc is offering names up to the god of death. There's a list that was repeated over and over. Illyn Payne is an exception if the writers want to pretend he never existed, but that's just a poorly executed arc otherwise.
    • LM said so.
    • The whole story is that Robert's rebellion was inherently a lie. If the Targ dynasty, constantly referred to as the greatest dynasty the world has ever known, isn't restored the story isn't finished.
  • Mountain/Hound need to fight, and probably should kill each other. I mean this one doesn't even need an explanation, they've teased it to death and they're clearly foils.
  • Theon and Euron need to die, since they're basically re-telling Hamlet on the Iron Islands. Sansa has been Ophelia, not Yara. I'm not sure if Yara has a direct parallel to Hamlet, presumably that was done since Yara would become Queen of the Iron Islands since everybody dies at the end of Hamlet.  

I'm down for literally all of this to happen.

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

• LM said so.

I think youre wrong on a lot of that.

"poorly executed from a literary standpoint" - There should not be a "standard" to follow. That should be thrown out the window.

The show is called Game of Thrones. But its not about who ends up on the throne. Its about conquering the WWs and the NK. The throne itself is an added bonus of intrigue to the tale that shouldnt follow generic hero tale principles. Thats what the war of Ice and Fire is for.

Jaime - Needs to be in the running for all things for his arch. From dying to becoming king should be on the table for his character.

A Targ shouldnt be any closer to ending up on the throne than a Sansa, Jaime, Cersei and such. "Greatest dynasty the world has ever known" but as prophecy once said in old Valyria. It would be Lannister gold that ended Valyrian rule.

But if youre somehow right. And the tale becomes nothing but a pandering to 30yo virgins like these Generic Superhero flicks cranked out by the dozens. Ill freakin lose it.

16 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I think youre wrong on a lot of that.

"poorly executed from a literary standpoint" - There should not be a "standard" to follow. That should be thrown out the window.

But there is a standard. Good books foreshadow, good books complete story arcs, and good books pay homage to previous excellent works of literature. This is a show, but it's a character-driven export from a book. There aren't rules on what you can do, but there are rules to follow if you want it to be good.

If Jamie Lannister ends up on the Iron Throne, the ending is poor as a work of literature. That's not really my opinion, it's just a reality of the groundwork the show and the book have laid. To go through all of the work undermining the many layers of illegitimacy of Robert Baratheon's reign, foreshadowing of Jamie's death, and the presence of the rightful heir "buried in the Snow", only to crap on all of it by sticking Jamie Lannister on the Iron Throne is bad. Not because Jamie is on the throne. Because you wrote 5 books and 7 seasons of TV showing how imperative it is that a Targ is on the Iron Throne and then crapped on it.

I'd say the same thing is Cersei didn't actually burn a city to the ground. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

But there is a standard. Good books foreshadow, good books complete story arcs, and good books pay homage to previous excellent works of literature. This is a show, but it's a character-driven export from a book. There aren't rules on what you can do, but there are rules to follow if you want it to be good.

If Jamie Lannister ends up on the Iron Throne, the ending is poor as a work of literature. That's not really my opinion, it's just a reality of the groundwork the show and the book have laid. To go through all of the work undermining the many layers of illegitimacy of Robert Baratheon's reign, foreshadowing of Jamie's death, and the presence of the rightful heir "buried in the Snow", only to crap on all of it by sticking Jamie Lannister on the Iron Throne is bad. Not because Jamie is on the throne. Because you wrote 5 books and 7 seasons of TV showing how imperative it is that a Targ is on the Iron Throne and then crapped on it.

I will say this. If there was only one way to go forward with those threads, the book series would be completed by now. If anything, by the way, the series has shown that the person on the throne doesn't really matter in the end of all of this.

28 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If Jaime ends up on the throne it fits perfect with the character its built. And fulfills 2 different prophecies laid out. The "Lannister gold" I mentioned, and what Maggie The Frog predicted. 

But the point is a Targ thinks theyre entitled to the throne. When last season helped show that it was their destiny to rival the NK and WWs. Like I said, the throne is a bonus to the real threat in the story.

"Good books" might follow some guideline that suits a particular group. But match that to historic tales that have lasted 1000s of years. Look at Spartacus, look at the battle of Troy, Spartans, Kulls, British history with Vikings/French and the likes. Sure there are certain rules to follow if you want to guarantee success of a book. But to make a work legendary and stand the test of time you dont march lockstep with the rest. You deliver groundbreaking.

Movies all had a certain guideline as well. Look at Cool Hand Luke, a legendary film. If Luke had gotten away, it would have been a great flick for those at the time because they went home happy. They killed Luke instead, people went home impacted and the movie became a classic because of it.  Follow your way, GOT doesnt end the way it started. GOT gets lost with the shuffle of 1000 hero tales like it. It didnt start that way, and it shouldnt finish that way. It should target impact and lasting power.