Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

9 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

How so?  Tyrion and Dany explained it all to you, you just dont want to hear it.  We witnessed Dany commit atrocities, we just justified them.  Dany herself justifies them, she tells Jon they can do whatever they want together, bc they know what's right.  Jon's line of "what about all the other people who know what they are doing is right" is the essence of the show.  Power corrupts.  Danys quest for power is what corrupted her.  Jon never wanted power.  He was raised as a bastard.  He witnessed what became of those who were in power and while he was never treated as a commoner, he also wasnt treated as his siblings either.  He joined the nights watch, not for power, but to be honorable and get away from being the bastard of winterfell.

Dany's atrocities literally never included killing innocent people. That's the point. She goes out of her way to save innocent people. That's the point. I understand that Tyrion later attempts to explain this, but it doesn't excuse butchering Dany's character because they needed to quickly wrap up the entire show. It was just so poorly written and so poorly executed in every single way. We all knew Dany was going to become the Mad Queen, but the way it was executed in this show is just horrendous.

7 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Hindsight is 20-20 lmao. There was no way of knowing where the bricks would collapse obviously. Does look sloppy but it’s a bit dumb to nitpick. Also, “killed by only like 15 bricks” is kinda stupid cause it only takes one potentially and Jaime was already actively dying. 15 bricks is still a lot lol. 

I don’t think I’m going to comment on the finale tho. I’m still not sure what to make of it. 

The show literally had the entire ceiling collapsing on them, then like an hour later Tyrion is able to quickly sift through all the rubble without breaking a sweat to find them? It's just another example of poor...whatever just to get to an emotional part of the episode.

6 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

In her mind, they did. They sought Cersei's protection.. thereby making themselves a shield of Cersei's. 

While not a clear betrayal.. they made a reasonable choice to shield Cersei in protecting themselves. Dany just cut through the shield that was the sheeple fodder.. because instilling fear for conquering was the only option Jon/Sansa left available to her.. and she did it while hating it. 

Too much thinking. Not enough thinking still. 

They sought Cersei's protection because she was the damn queen. They literally didn't know who Dany was! I mean **** literally 7 episodes ago Dany was all like "I'm not here to be queen of the ashes" and then on a dime she's now like "screw it, queen of the ashes it is". 

They just literally threw 7 seasons of character development to the wayside because the show had to end, and that's what I'm most salty about.

2 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

She Dany did go crazy in the end. Outside of Dany and, at times, Tyrion, I didn't end up feeling much of a connection with the other characters in the finale. Some of the send offs ending up feeling a little hollow unfortunately. 

Yes and no.  This was always who Dany was.  But achieving her goal clearly left her with a lust for more power, which is why Jon did what he did.  She wasnt content with the Iron Throne, she wanted to rule all of humanity.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

They just literally threw 7 seasons of character development to the wayside because the show had to end, and that's what I'm most salty about.

I have no problem with Dany going mad, and that is how I expect it to play out in the books, but they needed about 10 more episodes of development to really get to that point. Completely rushed.

• Like 2

Just now, Heimdallr said:

I have no problem with Dany going mad, and that is how I expect it to play out in the books, but they needed about 10 more episodes of development to really get to that point. Completely rushed.

Though I'd amend it to somewhat/slightly rushed... and not mad as in crazed, just remarkably furious. :P 

Just now, Heimdallr said:

This is where I struggle.  I don't really have a problem with the show because of the time constraints.  But then it always hits me that they put those constraints on themselves and I just don't get it. 

All in all I'm perfectly happy with where everyone ended, but like you said it just needed the extra 7 or so episodes to get them there.  

S2 Dany: I’m going to burn King’s Landing to the ground

S8 Dany: *burns King’s Landing to the ground*

Fans: Why would she do exactly what she always said she was going to do? That doesn’t make any sense. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Dany's atrocities literally never included killing innocent people. That's the point. She goes out of her way to save innocent people. That's the point. I understand that Tyrion later attempts to explain this, but it doesn't excuse butchering Dany's character because they needed to quickly wrap up the entire show. It was just so poorly written and so poorly executed in every single way. We all knew Dany was going to become the Mad Queen, but the way it was executed in this show is just horrendous.

The show literally had the entire ceiling collapsing on them, then like an hour later Tyrion is able to quickly sift through all the rubble without breaking a sweat to find them? It's just another example of poor...whatever just to get to an emotional part of the episode.

They sought Cersei's protection because she was the damn queen. They literally didn't know who Dany was! I mean **** literally 7 episodes ago Dany was all like "I'm not here to be queen of the ashes" and then on a dime she's now like "screw it, queen of the ashes it is". 

She 100% murdered innocent people before, but you overlooked it bc it felt justified. Somebody nailed 134 children to crosses, so it felt right for her to nail 134 masters, but we know that at least some of them had nothing to do with it.  And that's just 1 example.  It's actually expressed better in the books.  In DoD she is considering what Drogon did in killing a child, she comes to the realization that Drogon is a dragon and that when he kills an innocent its not out of evil, its morally ambiguous and that's what she must be herself.  She is afterall, a dragon.

Edit: Again Dany literally tells us herself that she changed her mindset.  When she first came to Westeros it was to save the people and be loved.  Therefore the whole "not going to be queen of the ashes" comment.  Then when she figures out she'll never be loved, the only way she can rule is fear.  "Fear it is"  They set up her conquest to mirror that of Aegon. From the field of fire to destroying the seat of power (Harrenhall/KL) 

Edited by Superman(DH23)
  • Like 1

LOL

couldn't be that Jon took a moment or 10 to take a long crap before proceeding, and GW worked his way up there first

Yes... the next nit-pick is teh bestest tool evar! because makes us feel real smart and superior and all.

( not at you, @Heimdallr, just a general comment ) 

Oh, what a fun world lies ahead. Where are you, NK? any chance of recovery, bro? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pwny said:

S2 Dany: I’m going to burn King’s Landing to the ground

S8 Dany: *burns King’s Landing to the ground*

Fans: Why would she do exactly what she always said she was going to do? That doesn’t make any sense. 

S7 Dany: "I'm not here to be Queen of the Ashes"

S8 Dany: Queen of the Ashes

"Fans": Well you see it makes sense because....

Just now, Superman(DH23) said:

She 100% murdered innocent people before, but you overlooked it bc it felt justified. Somebody nailed 134 children to crosses, so it felt right for her to nail 134 masters, but we know that at least some of them had nothing to do with it.  And that's just 1 example.  It's actually expressed better in the books.  In DoD she is considering what Drogon did in killing a child, she comes to the realization that Drogon is a dragon and that when he kills an innocent its not out of evil, its morally ambiguous and that's what she must be herself.  She is afterall, a dragon.

What innocent people did she murder before? The masters were not innocent. She literally chains up ALL of her dragons after one of them accidentally kills a child, but now she's got no problem burning entire cities to the ground, and the ONLY justification for it is "Well the writers told you so!". Nah, it's just lazy writing being used to justify ending the show. I mean, there's a reason this season is almost unanimously hated by fans.

I agree things are most likely better expressed in the books, but there's no point because after Season 4 we're beyond the books now, so all of that source material is irrelevant at this point.

• Like 3

Just now, oldman9er said:

LOL

couldn't be that Jon took a moment or 10 to take a long crap before proceeding, and GW worked his way up there first

Yes... the next nit-pick is teh bestest tool evar! because makes us feel real smart and superior and all.

( not at you, @Heimdallr, just a general comment ) 

Oh, what a fun world lies ahead. Where are you, NK? any chance of recovery, bro? 

Or....lazy writing is justifying more fast-traveling characters because they need to put them in certain places in order to advance the episode? Kind of like how Euron swam a triathlon in the previous episode just to conveniently land on the same beach as Jaime at the exact moment Jaime was going to save Cersei? Or how Theon fast traveled up to King's Landing after being on a ship with Yara?

It is nit picking but jfc this show has no sense of time any longer because of how rushed everything needs to be.

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

What innocent people did she murder before? The masters were not innocent. She literally chains up ALL of her dragons after one of them accidentally kills a child, but now she's got no problem burning entire cities to the ground, and the ONLY justification for it is "Well the writers told you so!". Nah, it's just lazy writing being used to justify ending the show. I mean, there's a reason this season is almost unanimously hated by fans.

I agree things are most likely better expressed in the books, but there's no point because after Season 4 we're beyond the books now, so all of that source material is irrelevant at this point.

Some of the masters were innocent of the crime of crucifying children.  That was her justice.  They were innocent, but held responsible bc of their birth.  Do you not see the subtext there?

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I mean, refer to my reply a few minutes ago.