Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

1 minute ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I've always wondered about that last part because you're right, very few series have been able to successfully deliver a satisfying, smart ending. No matter how good a show's writing may appear or how many beautiful arcs they've spun up, very few seem to be able to bring it all together in a fitting conclusion. Are endings just that difficult or is it more so an issue related to the medium in which we view these stories?

Honestly, I just think it's fans lol. 

9 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Jon's entire arc was defeating the Night King and basically the whole thing boiled down to using Bran as bait so that Arya can kill him. Yay.

So then Jon gets to become King right beacuse he's a Targ + Stark? Nope, Bran steals that, too.

Okay maybe he's King of the North then? Nope, Sansa steals that.

As that battle shows, it literally didn't matter because Bran was bait for Arya. They could've accomplished the same outcome without any soldiers there at all. Just hide Arya and put Bran in the courtyard. Same outcome.

Yeah such as ruining Jon's entire character arc. I was cool with Arya killing the NK actually because I thought it had some bigger meaning or that it meant Jon would get a bigger meaning, but it was basically just useless filler to allow them to get to King's Landing on time for Episode 5.

This is my point exactly, it's not the writing that's the problem.  Jon's entire arc wasnt the nk.  The nk barely had any screen time.  The nk was not the main villain.  I said after the nk episode when people were bitching about the nk that he was never the real villain.  The villain was the throne. Low and behold in the finale the villain was the throne.  The issue isnt the material, it's your interpretation of it.  Jon doesnt get a happy ending.  How does anybody who kills their love get one regardless of the circumstances.  Happy endings are not what the show has ever been about.  And Arya killing the NK did have more meaning.  You are just choosing not to see it.

• Like 2

Just now, NYRaider said:

One major issue that I have with the ending is that it's really only Dany's ending. The story is far from over for the majority of the main characters. 

Well, more stories could certainly be told, but you could say that for anyone left alive. 

I thought Jon's ending was absolutely an ending, and I could say the same about Arya's (despite her's being more open ended....my thought is largely that she is never seen again)

5 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I've always wondered about that last part because you're right, very few series have been able to successfully deliver a satisfying, smart ending. No matter how good a show's writing may appear or how many beautiful arcs they've spun up, very few seem to be able to bring it all together in a fitting conclusion. Are endings just that difficult or is it more so an issue related to the medium in which we view these stories?

I think bc there is no such thing as a satisfying ending.  Endings are just that, they are endings.  When you create a world, full of it's own rules, history, etc... that world cant end satisfactorily bc endings are not satisfying.  Endings just end.

Just now, Forge said:

Well, more stories could certainly be told, but you could say that for anyone left alive. 

I thought Jon's ending was absolutely an ending, and I could say the same about Arya's (despite her's being more open ended....my thought is largely that she is never seen again)

So we're supposed to assume that a king with very little experience, no loyalty in Kings Landing, no army, no money, and an extremely inexperienced council is going to fix the 6 kingdoms? That's my biggest gripe. The realm is in a much, much worse position now then it has ever been and there's really nothing stopping someone from getting power hungry and coming for the throne again, restarting the GOT cycle. 

8 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

This was one of the laziest endings in the history of entertainment that didn't respect the source material or the world that they'd built throughout the last decade. How can people be satisfied when the arcs that they've built over the years actually mean nothing in the grand scheme of the series? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

This is my point exactly, it's not the writing that's the problem.  Jon's entire arc wasnt the nk.  The nk barely had any screen time.  The nk was not the main villain. 

Yeah I mean it's not like the entire premise of the show from the very beginning is "why are we bickering amongst ourselves when the dead are coming to kill us all?" or anything like that.

I said after the nk episode when people were bitching about the nk that he was never the real villain.  The villain was the throne. Low and behold in the finale the villain was the throne.  The issue isnt the material, it's your interpretation of it.  Jon doesnt get a happy ending. 

Jon got a happy ending, wtf are you talking about? He gets to absolve himself from all politics, be with Ghost and be in the North. Arya got a happy ending. Sansa got a happy ending. Tyrion got a happy ending. Bran got a happy ending. Literally everyone alive got a happy ending.

How does anybody who kills their love get one regardless of the circumstances.  Happy endings are not what the show has ever been about.  And Arya killing the NK did have more meaning.  You are just choosing not to see it.

What additional meaning did Arya killing the NK have, because apparently 99% of fans are missing it except you.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

This was one of the laziest endings in the history of entertainment that didn't respect the source material or the world that they'd built throughout the last decade. How can people be satisfied when the arcs that they've built over the years actually mean nothing in the grand scheme of the series? 

same people who probably liked the ending of Dexter.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, I just think it's fans lol. 

But is it though? Like, I see people chalk up the complaining to not getting what they wanted, but that's not really the case. Objectively there is a clear distinction between good storytelling and rushed, half-***** storytelling. Like after the finale last night I immediately went on YouTube to re-watch some of my favorite scenes in the show: Oberyn volunteering as Tyrion's champion, Jamie in the bathtub with Brienne, Tyrion's confession at his trial, and LittleFinger talking to Varys about the ladder. We haven't gotten scenes/dialogue like that in a long time, but more to the point, the majority of those characters did NOT get endings most fans would have hoped for, but that doesn't make their conclusions any less satisfying or fitting. The same simply can't be said of how they decided to wrap up Season 8, imo. So, again is that on the fans or just some inability on the part of showrunners to accurately project ahead and find a way to conclude things before they run out of time/resources/write themselves into a corner?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

So we're supposed to assume that a king with very little experience, no loyalty in Kings Landing, no army, no money, and an extremely inexperienced council is going to fix the 6 kingdoms? That's my biggest gripe. The realm is in a much, much worse position now then it has ever been and there's really nothing stopping someone from getting power hungry and coming for the throne again, restarting the GOT cycle. 

Honestly, the only difference between that and any other person who would have taken on the throne is that Bran lacks experience, but he was also the most optimum person to put on the show to project real possible change moving forward. Anyone else and the country can instantly back slide into the same issues that plagued it for the last 300 years or whatever. In the end, Dany actually got her wish if she wanted to break the wheel...the thing that she didn't realize is that in order to do that, it couldn't be her in the end. She could only be the catalyst. 

With any of the potential rulers, there is the chance of people starting the cycle over. There was no answer in that regard. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

But is it though? Like, I see people chalk up the complaining to not getting what they wanted, but that's not really the case. Objectively there is a clear distinction between good storytelling and rushed, half-***** storytelling. Like after the finale last night I immediately went on YouTube to re-watch some of my favorite scenes in the show: Oberyn volunteering as Tyrion's champion, Jamie in the bathtub with Brienne, Tyrion's confession at his trial, and LittleFinger talking to Varys about the ladder. We haven't gotten scenes/dialogue like that in a long time, but more to the point, the majority of those characters did NOT get endings most fans would have hoped for, but that doesn't make their conclusions any less satisfying or fitting. The same simply can't be said of how they decided to wrap up Season 8, imo. So, again is that on the fans or just some inability on the part of showrunners to accurately project ahead and find a way to conclude things before they run out of time/resources/write themselves into a corner?

unpopular opinion but I enjoyed the end of Littlefinger. There was build up, and then a huge twist and he dies. I loved his death, even though not many people did.

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Image result for the rock eyeroll gif

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

same people who probably liked the ending of Dexter.

Not even a little bit, but keep insulting those of us who enjoyed the ending. 

1 minute ago, RavensTillIDie said:

But is it though? Like, I see people chalk up the complaining to not getting what they wanted, but that's not really the case. Objectively there is a clear distinction between good storytelling and rushed, half-***** storytelling. Like after the finale last night I immediately when on YouTube to re-watch some of my favorite scenes in the show: Oberyn volunteering as Tyrion's champion, Jamie in the bathtub with Brienne, Tyrion's confession at his trial, and LittleFinger talking to Varys about the ladder. We haven't gotten scenes/dialogue like that in a long time, but more to the point, the majority of those characters did NOT get endings most fans would have hoped for, but that doesn't make their conclusions any less satisfying or fitting. The same simply can't be said of how they decided to wrap up Season 8, imo. So, again is that on the fans or just some inability on the part of showrunners to accurately project ahead and find a way to conclude things before they run out of time/resources/write themselves into a corner?

I mean with regards to divisive finales, not the GOT finale on it's own (referring to your question on why shows struggle with finales in a general sense). Some of the most prominent shows ever have highly scrutinized finales....and I think that is because they are huge fan bases, endings can be highly personal for creators / writers / showrunners / etc, and people who complain tend to be louder than people who are okay with things.