Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Especially when you recall that Melisandre showing up and lighting their swords on fire was a surprise they didn't plan for.  ....so their original plan was literally to just charge in where they'd be flanked, and to do so without any weapons that can actually harm the dead.

Made for a great scene though.

Letting the dead charge at them instead cancels out what they’re good out.

6 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

Letting the dead charge at them instead cancels out what they’re good out.

Generally, the point of a cavalry charge is to either break an enemy's formation or scatter them.  If it's an enemy that can't be scattered, and numbers too great to break the formation, then it's absolutely the worst tactical decision you can make, because the advantage cavalry have over infantry is speed and maneuverability.  Charging into a wall of dead enemies robs you of both of those things immediately, and turns those soldiers into awkward infantry, because they aren't as mobile in close quarters.  They could have flanked the dead, where they'd be more effective, and that would have been a sound strategic move.  Charging into them isn't, no matter how you color it.

Especially when the plan is to do that without any weapons that can harm said enemy.

I'm pretty sure the whole purpose of that decision, in the writing, was to set up the lights going out.

• Like 5

For the record, the more I think about it, charging your cavalry into the enemy with no weapons that can actually harm them is the Jon Snowiest plan I can think of.  So for internal consistency, the writers get an A+ for that one.

• 4 weeks later...

I keep thinking about turning it into a hobby to make my own cut of the final two seasons, but then I have to keep telling myself that the time spent watching the final two seasons in order to make that cut would make me so sick of the series I wouldn’t be able to watch it again anyway.

I still believe that it could be salvaged if you took the final two seasons and turned them into a fast-paced thriller fantasy.  Somebody ought to do that for me because the more I think about it the more I hate the final two seasons.

NOT what happened.  I am very content with what happened as far as the conclusion, but I get angry when I think of how it was done.

Like that whole summit where they decided Bran is king is some of the worst writing in television history.  

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I keep thinking about turning it into a hobby to make my own cut of the final two seasons, but then I have to keep telling myself that the time spent watching the final two seasons in order to make that cut would make me so sick of the series I wouldn’t be able to watch it again anyway.

I still believe that it could be salvaged if you took the final two seasons and turned them into a fast-paced thriller fantasy.  Somebody ought to do that for me because the more I think about it the more I hate the final two seasons.

NOT what happened.  I am very content with what happened as far as the conclusion, but I get angry when I think of how it was done.

Like that whole summit where they decided Bran is king is some of the worst writing in television history.  

I would think an apocalyptic God of Death that's been around for 8 thousand years and nearly finished off Westeros thousands of years ago going out with a poke from a dagger was worse writing then that. Although Bran accepting being King is a complete contradiction to what hes been saying for like 3 seasons so maybe it's a push. 

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:24 PM, Calvert28 said:

I would think an apocalyptic God of Death that's been around for 8 thousand years and nearly finished off Westeros thousands of years ago going out with a poke from a dagger was worse writing then that. Although Bran accepting being King is a complete contradiction to what hes been saying for like 3 seasons so maybe it's a push. 

The only way that could have been salvaged was if it turned out Bran was the mastermind controlling the Night King all along and everything he had done has been a slow build up for him to assume power.  Or that the 3-Eyed Raven was and he assumed control of Bran at some point.  But they didn't go that way whatsoever.

• Like 3

On 8/23/2019 at 11:17 AM, THE DUKE said:

The only way that could have been salvaged was if it turned out Bran was the mastermind controlling the Night King all along and everything he had done has been a slow build up for him to assume power.  Or that the 3-Eyed Raven was and he assumed control of Bran at some point.  But they didn't go that way whatsoever.

That would be GRRM twist for sure

15 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Tactically, GRRM is a complete moron. Especially with military tactics.

Does GRRM ever go into tactical detail in the books?  It's been a while since I read them, but I thought most of his battle chapters are just in the single point of view and usually have the "fog of war" type of view from the ground level moreso than strategy outside of 'Moat Cailen/Storms End/The Eyrie is impenetrable' blah blah blah.

For the show, absolutely, it's just terrible.

16 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Does GRRM ever go into tactical detail in the books?  It's been a while since I read them, but I thought most of his battle chapters are just in the single point of view and usually have the "fog of war" type of view from the ground level moreso than strategy outside of 'Moat Cailen/Storms End/The Eyrie is impenetrable' blah blah blah.

For the show, absolutely, it's just terrible.

Yeah, they needed a true tactician in there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2019 at 12:19 PM, scar988 said:

Tactically, GRRM is a complete moron. Especially with military tactics.

I mean, the worst tactical decisions from the show are changes from the script in the books.  Blackwater, Watchers on the Wall, Robb Stark's campaigns are all different in the books, and in ways that don't make no sense whatsoever.

That said, I get why the changes were made for the show on those.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean, the worst tactical decisions from the show are changes from the script in the books.  Blackwater, Watchers on the Wall, Robb Stark's campaigns are all different in the books, and in ways that don't make no sense whatsoever.

That said, I get why the changes were made for the show on those.

for blackwater, it was probably budget

• Like 1