Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

5 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I liked the scene.

IMO, it wasn't great. Kind of uncomfortable and it dragged a little bit. But it wasn't completely pointless and even if it wasn't the most entertaining thing, it shouldn't be that tough to see how it fits in with the overall themes of the episode and the show.

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

So, as a proponent of character development, you want to dumb down Greyworm and Missandei to their most basic of identities? That does not make sense.

It makes sense when you look at their overall net worth to the story, which is precisely zero.

Missandei is an interpreter.  Greyworm is a soldier.  Neither is making a power play, neither is playing the game, neither are appealing, and neither deserve as much screen time as they were given. 

To that last line: since when is the show revolving around them? It was a seven minute scene and one of those involved is the character with the 35th most screen time.

For a character that isn't necessary enough to be in the top 100 of screen time. 

Edited by HorizontoZenith

24 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Seriously. How Game of Thrones should have gone:

All of the Starks: "You conspired to killed Jon Arryn!"

All of the Lannisters: "He deserved it. Have you seen his kid?"

"Fair point. We cool?"

"We cool."

Roll credits

I have to poke holes in this plot. Killing Arryn only speeds up a Sweetrobin rise to power. Surely Littlefinger and Varys would have helped devise a better plan than that. 

Unrelated but I only recently decided to look read up on how Aegon's conquest actually went down, with Dany arriving with her three dragons. I had a pretty good idea for some of it but the Vale's story is never really covered. At the time, the king of the Vale was a young kid about as inept as Robin. Despite this, the Vale's natural defenses would be impossible to take anyway. One of Aegon's sisters flew up there on the dragon and the king agreed to trade his kingdom for a ride on the dragon while his mom was away. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

It makes sense when you look at their overall net worth to the story, which is precisely zero.

Missandei is an interpreter.  Greyworm is a soldier.  Neither is making a power play, neither is playing the game, neither are appealing, and neither deserve as much screen time as they were given. 

Dany would be much worse off without her interpreter and her most trusted soldier. Their amount of screen time and plot is perfectly appropriate for their roles.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

IMO, it wasn't great. Kind of uncomfortable and it dragged a little bit. But it wasn't completely pointless and even if it wasn't the most entertaining thing, it shouldn't be that tough to see how it fits in with the overall themes of the episode and the show.

I'm not saying the scene is worth an Oscar nod, just not sure why people dislike it as much as the comments dictate. 

It probably doesn't hold a tremendous amount of weight now, but we'll see if there's some weight added during the siege of Casterly Rock. Does this little tryst throw off Grey Worm in what is arguably his biggest war to date?

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Dany would be much worse off without her interpreter and her most trusted soldier. Their amount of screen time and plot is perfectly appropriate for their roles.

No, it's not.  The fact that she has one is good enough for an interpreter.  The fact that she has a general for the Unsullied is good enough. 

They're stupid characters.  Especially for book readers who see that they're not remotely developed in the books and they were added while much better characters were removed. 

1 minute ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'm not saying the scene is worth an Oscar nod, just not sure why people dislike it as much as the comments dictate. 

It probably doesn't hold a tremendous amount of weight now, but we'll see if there's some weight added during the siege of Casterly Rock. Does this little tryst throw off Grey Worm in what is arguably his biggest war to date?

Yeah that definitely fit the going away movie cliche. Could easily see things going poorly for Grey Worm and the Unsullied in the next episode or two.

As far as the scene in question:

giphy.gif

In regards to the rest of the episode, I was pretty meh on it. That fight scene was just terrible all-around, from setup, to realism, to choreography and everything in between. I get they are setting some story lines up for future episodes, but this didn't have the same type of resonance as other episodes that did the same thing in previous seasons. I still love the show and the quality is better than 90% of everything else currently on television, but I am in agreement that the "magic' of GoT is starting to dwindle. Probably for the best they close this series out before it gets overly predictable.

I don't get how people can defend a superfluous romance between two meaningless characters being worthy of so much screen time.  They literally have zero bearing on the outcome of the show other than interpreting and fighting. 

Beric Dondarrion has literally been brought back from the dead and has more intrigue in his eye patch than Greyworm has in total.  Less screen time. 

Final question because anything else is pointless:

Where do you, personally, rank Greyworm as far as favorite character?  Would you rather have more of Greyworm or any other character?  I rest my case. 

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah that definitely fit the going away movie cliche. Could easily see things going poorly for Grey Worm and the Unsullied in the next episode or two.

Yup. That's the 2nd part of a two part plan that failed - which basically forces Dany to unleash the dragons and the Dothraki.

Could people quit suggesting I'm complaining about the scene and not about the show's overuse of showing Greyworm and Missandei in general?  It wasn't about the scene, it was about everything between them leading up to the scene as well as the scene and the fact that they're unimportant characters given important levels of screentime.  But whatever.  If you like that sort of thing, good for you.  I don't. 

Just now, EliteTexan80 said:

Yup. That's the 2nd part of a two part plan that failed - which basically forces Dany to unleash the dragons and the Dothraki.

Then somehow Cersei will kill the dragons with random shots from that new weapon and there won't be any dragons left to face the White Walkers. 9_9