Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

I'm sure someone made this joke on the old site, but I guess he really is The Late Lord Walder Frey now.

Also, anyone else notice that when Jamie and Cersei were standing on the map of Westeros on the floor that Jamie was standing (pretty much) on The Fingers and Cersei was on The Neck?

4 hours ago, The LBC said:

Also, anyone else notice that when Jamie and Cersei were standing on the map of Westeros on the floor that Jamie was standing (pretty much) on The Fingers and Cersei was on The Neck?

Symbolism for her being the head and he carrying out her will?

The whole episode, everyone was on constant edge. And then randomly Ed Sheeran drops in with an "it's a new song." It just felt so terribly out of place amidst all the tension in the episode.

Put that scene in most other episodes and I don't think a second thing of it. It just seemed really corny against the dread otherwise in the episode. 

5 minutes ago, iPwn said:

The whole episode, everyone was on constant edge. And then randomly Ed Sheeran drops in with an "it's a new song." It just felt so terribly out of place amidst all the tension in the episode.

Put that scene in most other episodes and I don't think a second thing of it. It just seemed really corny against the dread otherwise in the episode. 

I honestly didn't have a problem with it. He didn't really take me out of the moment other than noticing it was Ed Sheeran. But I'm glad he was so recognizable considering I'd have been angrier if I had spend a few minutes trying to figure out who he was.

4 hours ago, iPwn said:

The whole episode, everyone was on constant edge

I think reality finally set in. Nobody can talk about these things - White Walkers, Targaryen conquers, war against the crown - in future tense anymore. It's here, all here. And while everyone TALKED about it, nobody PREPARED for it - so pretty much the entire kingdom is about to get a massive dose of reality.

8 hours ago, Gmen4ev said:

I honestly didn't have a problem with it. He didn't really take me out of the moment other than noticing it was Ed Sheeran. But I'm glad he was so recognizable considering I'd have been angrier if I had spend a few minutes trying to figure out who he was.

Considering he was only cast as a favour to Maisie Williams, I would have preferred he was just in the background somewhere and not signing a damn concert as the main character of a scene

Just now, drd23 said:

Considering he was only cast as a favour to Maisie Williams, I would have preferred he was just in the background somewhere and not signing a damn concert as the main character of a scene

Yeah everyone is going to feel differently about it. And I can respect your opinion. Not going to lie it did take me out of the scene for a bit, but I'd say it wasn't truly episode ruining.

I also enjoyed the singing bit. Granted from what I've read people could instantly identify that it was Sheeran by the way he sings. But I don't really listen to his music enough to notice him unless I'm looking right at him.

Just now, drd23 said:

Oh, I wouldn't say its episode ruining - just the worst part of an otherwise good episode

Yeah didn't mean to put words in your mouth. Just from what I've read around people are touting it as episode ruining, since it took them so far out of the scene. Which I'd just say is an overreaction.

55 minutes ago, Gmen4ev said:

Yeah didn't mean to put words in your mouth. Just from what I've read around people are touting it as episode ruining, since it took them so far out of the scene. Which I'd just say is an overreaction.

I wouldn't call it episode ruining but would agree with being taken out of the scene. Sheeran showing up definitely hinders the immersion. Although that other soldier looked like Sloth from The Goonies which hindered it even more. 

Between that and the dialog, I agree with calling that the worst scene in the episode. 

I don't mind that he was in the show. I don't even mind that he sang in the episode. I just felt like his "it's a new song" line broke the immersion. It just felt like a fourth wall breaking "Yeah, we got Ed Sheeran to write a song that isn't part of GoT lore and had him sing it". And amidst all the other tension in the episode, it just didn't feel right. 

1 hour ago, iPwn said:

I don't mind that he was in the show. I don't even mind that he sang in the episode. I just felt like his "it's a new song" line broke the immersion. It just felt like a fourth wall breaking "Yeah, we got Ed Sheeran to write a song that isn't part of GoT lore and had him sing it". And amidst all the other tension in the episode, it just didn't feel right. 

I honestly hadn't even made the connection. I can see why it could break your immersion.

2 hours ago, drd23 said:

Oh, I wouldn't say its episode ruining - just the worst part of an otherwise good episode

I didn't know it was anybody famous until after the episode aired. I actually found that scene to be one of the best in the episode, the singing was nice.