Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

23 minutes ago, Leader said:

Thats possible....and this is a fantasy so anything could happen - but when / if they consider the arc of Jon's existence.....it would be hard to conclude he's been sitting on the fact that he's the chosen one.....meanwhile, he's living a life of "you dont count" exclusion. Risking (and losing) his life while shoveling everybody else's ^^^^.

True, but even if they believe Jon didn’t know, that doesn’t take away from the fact that he’s a Targaryean, and we all know how much blood matters in regards to how people treat you in this world. I don’t see it as something the Northern Lords just shrug and say “o well, he’s half Stark too”. 

Regarding telling Dany, I think he’ll have to.  He doesn’t want it coming out later and having her find out he knew and didn’t tell her. I think the smartest thing to do would tell Dany / Arya / Sansa and no one else until the war is over. 

6 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

If you watched the promo for episode 2, Benioff and Weiss explain that Sam is basically more of a brother to him than his own siblings. If anyone will be able to sway Jon, it's him.

Possibly so....but I think Sam's influence in this decision is a minor part of the story IMO. Jon's an "inner compass" kinda guy.
Personally, I think he should do it - but its actually against the grain of his character to date. Hell, he told Sansa in episode one he didnt want to be King of the North. Power hungry he's not. There will have to be some overriding / compelling reason he has to claim the throne for him to do it IMO. Otherwise, his character arc indicates he'd be fine with Dany sitting on it.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Based on Jon's history and how he regards being King, I could see them surviving the war and Jon being the obvious King due to heritage, but OPTING not to be King and instead appointing Sansa as Queen and Arya as Hand of the Queen, thus concluding the greatest comeback story in Westeros history.

That would be fun, but I doubt Sansa ever wants to leave the North again, and you can’t rule Westeros from Winterfell. Maybe Jon becomes King and gives the North their independence and names Sansa queen. I could see that. 

5 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

True, but even if they believe Jon didn’t know, that doesn’t take away from the fact that he’s a Targaryean, and we all know how much blood matters in regards to how people treat you in this world. I don’t see it as something the Northern Lords just shrug and say “o well, he’s half Stark too”.

Could very well be - however, they KNOW the Snow character since he's been the size of a football.

1 minute ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

That would be fun, but I doubt Sansa ever wants to leave the North again, and you can’t rule Westeros from Winterfell.

At the very least, she should consider a second home in the Winterfell region. Much better climate and beaches :)

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

Possibly so....but I think Sam's influence in this decision is a minor part of the story IMO. Jon's an "inner compass" kinda guy.
Personally, I think he should do it - but its actually against the grain of his character to date. Hell, he told Sansa in episode one he didnt want to be King of the North. Power hungry he's not. There will have to be some overriding / compelling reason he has to claim the throne for him to do it IMO. Otherwise, his character arc indicates he'd be fine with Dany sitting on it.

Don't think so. I think you're underestimating Sam's importance

3 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Don't think so. I think you're underestimating Sam's importance

Sam's accomplishments:

• First person to kill a White Walker
  • Discovered where/how to mine dragon glass
  • Got Jon to be Lord Commander, which already probably saved the realm because it led Jon to uniting the Wildlings
  • Cured Ser Jorah when nobody else would
  • Discovered that Jon is the true heir to the Iron Throne
  • Banged Gilly

Agreed that he's a super important character that just doesn't appear to be one.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
added in the most important accomplishment
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Sam's accomplishments:

• First person to kill a White Walker
  • Discovered where/how to mine dragon glass
  • Got Jon to be Lord Commander, which already probably saved the realm because it led Jon to uniting the Wildlings
  • Cured Ser Jorah when nobody else would
  • Discovered that Jon is the true heir to the Iron Throne
  • Banged Gilly

Agreed that he's a super important character that just doesn't appear to be one.

goat edit

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Leader said:

Could very well be - however, they KNOW the Snow character since he's been the size of a football.

Do they though?  When Jon was growing up, and especially when other lords were visiting, he was taught to keep his head down and stay invisible.  Catelyn made sure he never forgot his "place".  They might have seen him around on the occasional visit, but I doubt anyone besides Arya and Robb really KNEW him.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

In convincing Jon to reveal his claim to the throne?

Let me re-quote what you said.

34 minutes ago, Leader said:

I think you are underestimating Sam's influence over Jon. Sam is not only his friend but Jon appointed him Maester (once he finished). The overriding or compelling reason for him to claim the throne would have to be an action by Dany that imo Sam will push. We know Jon doesn't want it at this point, but like you said, he's a man of honor. He accepted the appointment of Lord Commander (with Sam's pushing), he accepted the appointment of KitN. I wouldn't say it's unreasonable that he would accept his true seat if he was able to be convinced he was needed. Enter Sam. 

@JBURGE To piggyback on that - it also comes back to the question Sam asked Jon after finding out Dany executed his father for not bending the knee - "Would you have done it?", and I think we all know the answer to that question: No, he wouldn't have. Jon deflects, saying "I wasn't a king", but even as Lord Commander he didn't have people executed and his ENTIRE shtick has been mercy + compromise. 

Stannis wanted to burn Mance Rayder alive, Jon killed him with an arrow for mercy. Lord Commander Mormont wanted Jon to execute Ygritte, Jon showed her mercy. etc. etc. examples go on and on. The only people Jon hasn't shown mercy to were the Night's Watch people who literally killed him after he led the wildlings south of the wall.

So, this could very well be leading to a point where Sam starts to sway Jon that he should make a play for the throne because he would be a better and more just ruler than Dany.