Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

They'd have to have some sort of post-Jon plan if they're just going to kill him after spending this much time on revealing he's the true king. It would kind of make Bran a pointless character if they hyped him up this much and then just killed Jon.

But its not about the throne. Its the build to defeat the NK. The throne is a distraction, secondary plot line.

Think of it like Back to the Future 3... Marty didnt have to get back. The story was about saving Doc. Marty could have gotten back on Docs train to the same time point. Yet they pushed it to have such a major role.

Just now, Superman(DH23) said:

Melisandre talked about pwwp

But did she say anything about stabbing the wife / true love in the heart?  If not, yes, that would be completely out of left field.  And even if so, I doubt many remember that.  For them to bring it up this late would be bad storytelling.

3 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

But did she say anything about stabbing the wife / true love in the heart?  If not, yes, that would be completely out of left field.  And even if so, I doubt many remember that.  For them to bring it up this late would be bad storytelling.

They've done a bunch of stuff to allude that Jon is Azor Ahai without having the prophecy read out in full. Like when Ned runs into the Tower of Joy, the camera focuses on Dawn and the blood from both the sword and Lyanna giving birth. That satisfies the "born under a bleeding star" requirement to hardcore fans without spelling out all of the requirements for the casual fans.

So my guess is they do something similar here if they want to go full in on the prophecy. There's some situation where Jon has to kill Dany (maybe to keep her magic from the WW or something, I dunno), and then what may appear random to a casual fan, his sword bursts on fire. But Dany has fire magic, so it's not the craziest thing ever. A hardcore fan would recognize that as the prophecy being fulfilled.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

They've done a bunch of stuff to allude that Jon is Azor Ahai without having the prophecy read out in full. Like when Ned runs into the Tower of Joy, the camera focuses on Dawn and the blood from both the sword and Lyanna giving birth. That satisfies the "born under a bleeding star" requirement to hardcore fans without spelling out all of the requirements for the casual fans.

So my guess is they do something similar here if they want to go full in on the prophecy. There's some situation where Jon has to kill Dany (maybe to keep her magic from the WW or something, I dunno), and then what may appear random to a casual fan, his sword bursts on fire. But Dany has fire magic, so it's not the craziest thing ever. A hardcore fan would recognize that as the prophecy being fulfilled.

Maybe - just seems like a huge stretch to me without the level foreshadowing in the books.  And I bet there would be an avalanche of WTFs from the casual fan... even if Jon was seemingly justified in killing Dany to the hardcore fans.

1 minute ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

Very meh episode but you had to get everyone in the same place in order for the season to really take off. I loved how in the beginning Bran goes there isn't time for introductions, but we have time to fly all over on Dragons and meet in crypts. Just terrible pacing.

Yea. I dont get why it seems like nobody is doing anything while there. Troops could be digging trenches, lining them with dragon glass shard spikes and stuff. Building Trebuchets by the dozen to fling shards or whatnot. They all just chillin and waiting.

Just now, PARROTHEAD said:

Yea. I dont get why it seems like nobody is doing anything while there. Troops could be digging trenches, lining them with dragon glass shard spikes and stuff. Building Trebuchets by the dozen to fling shards or whatnot. They all just chillin and waiting.

They just got there. In the background of several scenes you do see people building things. Gendry is spending the entire episode building weapons for people. This was primarily an episode of reunions + getting everyone to Winterfell. I had no issues with the pacing other than, as people have pointed out, the dragon riding scene.

I'll be honest, I think it's a little weird if Jon and Dany come out of this without at least one of them biting the bullet as it wouldn't quite feel in line with the rest of the show, but a marriage between the two is easily the cleanest result between the two. It's probably not the desired result for a lot of people, but it essentially satisfies everything with regards to plot points in the show. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Maybe - just seems like a huge stretch to me without the level foreshadowing in the books.  And I bet there would be an avalanche of WTFs from the casual fan... even if Jon was seemingly justified in killing Dany to the hardcore fans.

Yep then you're in that situation where you have to sloppily reference the thing right before it becomes relevant again. Maybe that's why LM is going to come back to Westeros, even though she knows if Jon sees her he'll kill her. 

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

They just got there. In the background of several scenes you do see people building things. Gendry is spending the entire episode building weapons for people. This was primarily an episode of reunions + getting everyone to Winterfell. I had no issues with the pacing other than, as people have pointed out, the dragon riding scene.

When flying on the dragons. I didnt see much happening surrounding Winterfell.  But troops were already there at Winterfell before the others arrived. The Knights of the Vale and others have been there for months. Enough time for Jon to sail to Eastwatch and back to Dragonstone and home again.