Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

I'm finding it hard to warm to him because of the overacting and because I've become somewhat fixated by the fact I don't believe he should have been able to find Yara''s fleet out in open water in the middle of the night

That's standard Pirate SOP. Find the enemy's flagship vessel in the dark of night, ram it with your sails all wide open, kill everyone, then drift away peacefully, all the fireballs just having missed your ship.

13 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Greyworm has been in like 30 total minutes of the last 5-6 episodes IIRC. That's pretty side-characteresque.

Then why push this dumb romance on us? Him and Missandei have been a thing for like 3 seasons now. To what end? Bring it closer to the books and have her be Dany's bedmaiden.

8 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Then why push this dumb romance on us? Him and Missandei have been a thing for like 3 seasons now. To what end? Bring it closer to the books and have her be Dany's bedmaiden.

To show what S&B just said, they're humanizing him for character development. We can't pretend to know the route they're going to go w/ him this season so maybe there is a plan. If it turns out there isn't, the scene was about 7 minutes so it's not like it was a majority of the episode. I would like to this that they will go somewhere w/ this though so I'll just sit back and wait.

9 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

My complaining aside, the Jon / Sansa plot should be getting busted wide open soon. Littlefinger is way too smart to remain marginalized. Jon is inching towards (yet another) mutiny against him. 

I almost expected Jon to not accept the offer and send Sansa in his place. Her reunion with Tyrion would be great. 

6 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

.Also, how is anyone not understanding the Greyworm scene?  They're humanizing him and doing character development. Very basic stuff, guys.  He's going into battle next week, they're trying to make you care if he gets out alive.  Not really hard to pick up on

Holy pretentious Batman.  I don't think there's literally anybody in here who didn't understand what they wanted in the scene.  Lecturing people on not understanding it when you're the one who isn't understanding why people were upset about it.

Everybody understood and "picked up on" the point of the scene.  Everybody knew its purpose.  We aren't watching narrative fiction for the first time.  People are upset because nobody cares if Wormtongue lives or dies.  He's Samwell Tarly territory character at best.  Not really hard to pick up on people not wanting HBO to waste time in trying to get us to care for a character we don't care about.  Very basic stuff, guy.  How are you not understanding it? 

53 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I'm finding it hard to warm to him because of the overacting and because I've become somewhat fixated by the fact I don't believe he should have been able to find Yara''s fleet out in open water in the middle of the night

I don't really see a problem with that. Euron is a highly experienced sailor, probably moreso than anyone in Asha and Theon's fleet. Plus proximity, Euron's fleet wasn't too far from Dragonstone after all.

What's more troubling from a writing perspective is that if Euron's plan from the beginning was to bring Cersei both Ellaria and Tyene, there's a lot of coincidences and assumptions that needed to take place for the capture to happen the way that it did. He'd have had no way of knowing that the Sand Snakes are on those ships unless he has a spy or something, but I doubt that ever gets addressed.

Edited by skywindO2

2 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I don't really see a problem with that. Euron is a highly experienced sailor, probably moreso than anyone in Asha and Theon's fleet. Plus proximity, Euron's fleet wasn't too far from Dragonstone after all.

What's more troubling from a writing perspective is that if Euron's plan from the beginning was to bring Cersei both Ellaria and Tyene, there's a lot of coincidences or assumptions that had to take place to make that happen. He'd have had no way of knowing that the Sand Snakes are on those ships unless he has a spy or something, but I doubt that ever gets addressed.

Vary's in for the long con, IYAM.

49 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:
7 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Also, how is anyone not understanding the Greyworm scene?  They're humanizing him and doing character development. Very basic stuff, guys.  He's going into battle next week, they're trying to make you care if he gets out alive.  Not really hard to pick up on

Holy pretentious Batman.  I don't think there's literally anybody in here who didn't understand what they wanted in the scene.  Lecturing people on not understanding it when you're the one who isn't understanding why people were upset about it.

Everybody understood and "picked up on" the point of the scene.  Everybody knew its purpose.  We aren't watching narrative fiction for the first time.  People are upset because nobody cares if Wormtongue lives or dies.  He's Samwell Tarly territory character at best.  Not really hard to pick up on people not wanting HBO to waste time in trying to get us to care for a character we don't care about.  Very basic stuff, guy.  How are you not understanding it? 

This is a pretty ironic post.

In general, I am going to say this. Really good episode this week and remember that it's a show; it'll play out.

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Spare me.  The scene was pointless, and everyone who doesn't like Wormtongue for some reason knows why it was there, they just didn't want it there.  It was a waste of time on characters that nobody cares about in a show where there are dozens of characters people do care about. 

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:
9 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Spare me.  The scene was pointless, and everyone who doesn't like Wormtongue for some reason knows why it was there, they just didn't want it there.  It was a waste of time on characters that nobody cares about in a show where there are dozens of characters people do care about. 

I meant it was ironic for two reasons. The first one being that you called him pretentious (when he really wasn't being pretentious) and then followed up with an extremely condescending post. The second being that you are saying that they are wasting their time trying to get people to care about characters that people do not care about (which is not even necessarily true).

Edited by Adrenaline_Flux
Sorry for not sparing you.

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I meant it was ironic for two reasons. The first one being that you called him pretentious (when he really wasn't being pretentious) and then followed up with an extremely condescending post. The second being that you are saying that they are wasting their time trying to get people to care about characters that people do not care about (which is not even necessarily true).

I know why you called it ironic.  Both reasons why you called it ironic. 

What's worse, condescending to multiple people or just one who was condescending to multiple people acting like the majority didn't know what was going on when in reality everybody knew what was going on, they just didn't want it? 

Second, it's not necessarily true the same way it's not necessarily true that nobody likes pig's feet.  There's a reason why pig's feet are sold in grocery stores... For the 12 people in a town of 20,000 that like them.  Sixteen million people watched Game of Thrones last night.  There aren't a hundred thousand people who want time spent on developing a character like Wormtongue.  There are 15 million and a lot of change who want more time being spent on Tyrion, on Jon, on Sansa, on Arya... There are more people who want to see Gendry stop rowing than people who want to see Wormtongue. 

11 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:
18 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I know why you called it ironic.  Both reasons why you called it ironic. 

What's worse, condescending to multiple people or just one who was condescending to multiple people acting like the majority didn't know what was going on when in reality everybody knew what was going on, they just didn't want it? 

Second, it's not necessarily true the same way it's not necessarily true that nobody likes pig's feet.  There's a reason why pig's feet are sold in grocery stores... For the 12 people in a town of 20,000 that like them.  Sixteen million people watched Game of Thrones last night.  There aren't a hundred thousand people who want time spent on developing a character like Wormtongue.  There are 15 million and a lot of change who want more time being spent on Tyrion, on Jon, on Sansa, on Arya... There are more people who want to see Gendry stop rowing than people who want to see Wormtongue. 

He wasn't being condescending, but let's not dwell on the semantics of how a user is posting.

Even if most people do not care about him, I would be more insulted if they did not spend time trying to make us care about him. They absolutely should as he is essentially the face of the unsullied at this point and close to Dany. I do not doubt that people do not care about him as much as Tyrion, Jon, or the Starks... but that does not mean that people do not care about him nor does it mean that spending time on him takes way from time spent on them. Game of Thrones pretty much has free reign as far as their resources, shooting time, run time, and number of episodes. Look at the celebrity cameos they are starting to do, the much later start date this year, the variance and length of the run time (that is only going to go up until the end of the series from all discussion I have seen), and the fewer amount of episodes in this penultimate season and the upcoming final season. Them spending time on him does not detract from the rest of the characters at all.