Captain Marvel (Spoilers! Be Aware)

Acgott

19 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

BTW, maybe I was under a rock, but I guess there was some backlash about how this might be a film geared towards having a feminist message? Didn't see any of that in the movie. It felt like whether Captain Marvel was a woman or man it wouldn't have mattered. 

So it wasn't some propaganda driven bull hockey like Black Panther? Nice....

14 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Without giving any spoilers, is this something that should be seen before End Game?

@PapaShogun

Not really. This movie just fills in a lot of the blanks of the end results we already knew. There is only one key connection to Endgame, and that is at the first post credits scene. I get the feeling that same scene will be in the film.

On 9/6/2018 at 5:08 AM, Acgott said:

opw-16473_r.jpg

this scene didnt happen in the movie. 

Watched the movie, solid B+ movie. 

larson was pretty ood, i thought a few scene with fury were a bit wooden. 

The action at the end got a bit over the top I thought, but it was great until the end. 

On 3/7/2019 at 1:14 PM, Nex_Gen said:

So it wasn't some propaganda driven bull hockey like Black Panther? Nice....

I think it was deliberately femist when compared to other super hero movies, but not in a negative or preachy way. Strong female leads with three charterers in the movie. 

On 1/15/2019 at 8:07 AM, StLunatic88 said:

I was thinking on my biggest reservation of this movie (that its just a set up for the deus ex Marvel appearance in Endgame) and there is one outcome that still leads to that, which I would still be OK with. And that would be the introduction of SWORD. 

Because if its just Captain Marvel showing up to take down Thanos, its really anticlimactic. BUT, if the distress call is not just to her, but to the entire SWORD agency to come and save them, that is a much more believable and satisfying. That Fury has been a special attachment to them, and was only going to call for a global situation that couldnt be handled by the Avengers, which then opens up Phase 4 top the Cosmic side, without having to commit to the Fantastic 4 just yet.

If we could get references to BetaRay Bill, Nova and others along side Captain Marvel to sake out Thanos, that would be the reveal to reinvigorate me to another full phase. (the Guardians could even be folded in as their tactical extraction team, all they are really good at is stealing stuff)

I think they ae better than that. 

If Marvel kills Thanos im cool with it, as long as it is an alley-oop, not a well i am here to kick the piss out of you. 

I liked it a lot. I feel like the best way to gauge MCU movies now is to just slide into your personal rankings so here I go:

1. Civil War

2. Infinty War 

3. Winter Soldier

4. Ragnorok

5. Avengers

6. Guardians of the Galaxy

7. Captain Marvel

8. Iron Man

9. Black Panther

10. Homecoming

I enjoyed it. The villain is a total nothing burger but Larson is great. Her banter is top notch and her back and forth with Fury was great. Pretty damn disappointed there was no reference to secret invasion at all. Post credit scene and scenes that happened back then but tie into now were all good. My roommate has this as a top 5 Marvel movie, I'm thinking much lower than that but still good.

Overall a good movie, it’s what Marvel does these days. But they went for some big emotional swings, but I don’t feel like they really earned most (or maybe even any) of them, which made some of those feel flat at times. Honestly if anything, it made me exited about what they might do with Monica Rambeau now that she’s aged 20+ years

Im not sure I came out of this movie believing that Captain Marvel is the most powerful hero in the MCU...?

And are we just retconning the Tesseract now?

7 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Im not sure I came out of this movie believing that Captain Marvel is the most powerful hero in the MCU...?

How? She EASILY demolished the Kree elite like she was barely trying. If she was in the battle of NY, it wouldve been anti-climatic. 

9 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

And are we just retconning the Tesseract now?

How is it being retconned? 

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

You're kidding right?

I came out hyped as hell for Endgame cuz she's the reason for the title. She IS the Endgame. Straight up my favorite MCU hero. 

The mid-credit scene got me hyped as all hell. It's like bringing Barry Bonds up looking for a HR swat and knowing you're gonna get it. 

9 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

How? She EASILY demolished the Kree elite like she was barely trying. If she was in the battle of NY, it wouldve been anti-climatic. 

Sorry, nothing I saw her do WOWED me. Shes very strong, shes a badass fighter, but I saw her throw how many photon blasts? and just about every person got back up from them? And Im supposed to equate that to being able to take on Thanos with an Infinity Gauntlet?

Maybe thats the effect of a decade of these MCU films, but I have seen Thor and Star Lord and Vision do many of the same feats, if not more impressive ones inside of the MCU. For as much as the Russo's talked her up, she did not live up to that.

9 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

How is it being retconned? 

Everything we knew was that Howard Stark found it when he was looking for Cap, and now it was missing from their custody for the better part of a Decade and no one knew about it?

10 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

I enjoyed it. The villain is a total nothing burger but Larson is great. Her banter is top notch and her back and forth with Fury was great. Pretty damn disappointed there was no reference to secret invasion at all. Post credit scene and scenes that happened back then but tie into now were all good. My roommate has this as a top 5 Marvel movie, I'm thinking much lower than that but still good.

This is how I feel as well. It was a good movie, but I don't feel like anything special happened at all in this movie, and the fight scenes IMHO were pretty subpar.

9 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Overall a good movie, it’s what Marvel does these days. But they went for some big emotional swings, but I don’t feel like they really earned most (or maybe even any) of them, which made some of those feel flat at times. Honestly if anything, it made me exited about what they might do with Monica Rambeau now that she’s aged 20+ years

Yeah the emotional swings they took really fell flat for me - but I'm a guy so maybe that's part of it. I thought they tried too hard at times to hammer the social messages in and make them BLATANTLY OBVIOUS. But I also came away from this movie wondering how she's the most powerful hero in the MCU. Half of the movie was her falling over herself trying to do photon blasts, and people getting back up from it.

10 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Sorry, nothing I saw her do WOWED me. Shes very strong, shes a badass fighter, but I saw her throw how many photon blasts? and just about every person got back up from them? And Im supposed to equate that to being able to take on Thanos with an Infinity Gauntlet?

Maybe thats the effect of a decade of these MCU films, but I have seen Thor and Star Lord and Vision do many of the same feats, if not more impressive ones inside of the MCU. For as much as the Russo's talked her up, she did not live up to that.

Everything we knew was that Howard Stark found it when he was looking for Cap, and now it was missing from their custody for the better part of a Decade and no one knew about it?

Exactly.

Archived