Commissioner Passing A Best-Interest Rule Without Telling Anyone

the lone star

What Do You Think Of The Commissioner Passing A Best-Interest Rule Without Telling Anyone?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Think Of The Commissioner Passing A Best-Interest Rule Without Telling Anyone?

• The Commissioner Is Free To Do That.
    • The Commissioner Should Not Be Allowed To Do That.

So the commissioner of one of my leagues snuck a rule into the bylaws that said "the commissioner is to use the league's best-interest when resolving matters not specifically answered and/or addressed by the bylaws."

Have you all ever had a commissioner do something like this? If so, what did you do? Should I send an email out to everyone in the league making them aware of it and asking why it was never communicated to us?

Also, what do you think of the rule? I think it' s too vague. How is he supposed to determine the league's best-interest? Why not have the league vote on certain issues, instead of letting him assume he knows what is best for the league?

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Why is it that you seem like you're part of some of the shadiest leagues I've ever heard of?

It is WAY too freakin vague. So he can override trades if they seem unfair but could work out good for his playoff chances or something of that BS nature?

Just bad luck on my part I guess.

16 hours ago, the lone star said:

So the commissioner of one of my leagues snuck a rule into the bylaws that said "the commissioner is to use the league's best-interest when resolving matters not specifically answered and/or addressed by the bylaws."

Have you all ever had a commissioner do something like this? If so, what did you do? Should I send an email out to everyone in the league making them aware of it and asking why it was never communicated to us?

Also, what do you think of the rule? I think it' s too vague. How is he supposed to determine the league's best-interest? Why not have the league vote on certain issues, instead of letting him assume he knows what is best for the league?

It seems shady because he didn’t let anyone know but I see the point of the rule. I’ve run my league for 15 years and people can find some pretty interesting ways to collude. I started the league where I was the sole decider on trades and other league matters because there were a few members who were new at FF and I didn’t want them to be taken advantage of. Later on we went to a trade commission of 5 members voting. I learned that certain members would call the commission guys and persuade, bribe or even threaten to air out dirty laundry to wives/girlfriends. Keep in mind this league is all close friends and family lol. Last couple years I’m the judge, jury and executioner again and it works because I’m trusted. There’s always a beef but it’s usually the same guys that start it and most of the league knows I’m fair but will drop the hammer when I have to. Bottom line is if you can’t trust your commissioner it’s time to find a new league. 

7 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

It seems shady because he didn’t let anyone know but I see the point of the rule. I’ve run my league for 15 years and people can find some pretty interesting ways to collude. I started the league where I was the sole decider on trades and other league matters because there were a few members who were new at FF and I didn’t want them to be taken advantage of. Later on we went to a trade commission of 5 members voting. I learned that certain members would call the commission guys and persuade, bribe or even threaten to air out dirty laundry to wives/girlfriends. Keep in mind this league is all close friends and family lol. Last couple years I’m the judge, jury and executioner again and it works because I’m trusted. There’s always a beef but it’s usually the same guys that start it and most of the league knows I’m fair but will drop the hammer when I have to. Bottom line is if you can’t trust your commissioner it’s time to find a new league. 

How do you determine what's in the best interest of the league though?

12 minutes ago, the lone star said:

The issue is that there are far too many problems that come up where every rule set can’t cover.   Leagues with 1000 rules don’t work.  You do need some Commissioner discretion.  On the other hand you don’t want a guy operating with no transparent principles or process either.  So it’s a balance. 

What I’ve found helps:  

1.  Have 1-2 co-commissioners with the main Commish.   So a ruling can’t be seen as 1 guy.  

2.   Ideally have precedents recorded.  That way the league operates consistently. 

The above works if you ppl who know each other (or at least know some of the guys).  If you are 12 strangers then it’s tough.   That’s where there’s no trust and that’s not a great setup to begin with.  

I ask this - how was this rule “snuck in”? Was it really hidden, or were you joining a league with a rule set that it was placed at the bottom?  If it’s a new league that’s not necessarily a crazy end-rule to have in place.  

If it’s a returning league - does your league routinely review every rule change?   If it’s a league that reviews evettthing in detail then it’s very iffy.  Context helps here. 

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

The issue is that there are far too many problems that come up where every rule set can’t cover.   Leagues with 1000 rules don’t work.  You do need some Commissioner discretion.  On the other hand you don’t want a guy operating with no transparent principles or process either.  So it’s a balance. 

What I’ve found helps:  

1.  Have 1-2 co-commissioners with the main Commish.   So a ruling can’t be seen as 1 guy.  

2.   Ideally have precedents recorded.  That way the league operates consistently. 

The above works if you ppl who know each other (or at least know some of the guys).  If you are 12 strangers then it’s tough.   That’s where there’s no trust and that’s not a great setup to begin with.  

Well I get that, but I am just wondering what kind of tests you should use or questions you should ask to determine what's in the best interest of the league. Still vague to me.

4 minutes ago, the lone star said:

Well I get that, but I am just wondering what kind of tests you should use or questions you should ask to determine what's in the best interest of the league. Still vague to me.

3 q’s:

1.  Do you guys/gals know each other?  If so then ask others.   If not no luck.  

2.  More importantly - is this a free or $ league?  If it’s free then it’s more likely the league (and you) really shouldn’t care.   Commishes running free leagues routinely have that - enough BS in real life to deal with lol.  

3.  I ask this - how was this rule “snuck in”? Was it really hidden, or were you joining a league with a rule set that it was placed at the bottom?  If it’s a new league that’s not necessarily a crazy end-rule to have in place.  

If it’s a returning league - does your league routinely review every rule change?   If it’s a league that reviews evettthing in detail then it’s very iffy.  Context helps here. 

2 hours ago, the lone star said:

There’s simple things like when a 1-5 team is trading their best player to a 5-1 team for a couple lesser players and I veto without discussion. This doesn’t happen much anymore in my league where a team with no playoff hope would bench a couple obvious starters to throw a game for a buddy fighting for the playoffs. I’ve gone in and took control of rosters for that. In a few cases taking action may look like it benefits my team but it benefits the vast majority of the league as well. The key thing is I’m pretty consistent with my decisions so everyone knows what to expect, which sometimes squashes stuff before it even gets to me. I’ve been called Goddell and a few names of colorful world leaders from history but that comes with the territory lol. 

2 hours ago, the lone star said:

Also I give a try to give a thorough explanation on any decision I make. Usually the offender doesn’t want to hear it but having the entire league in the loop helps. We have a 15 page “constitution” that was put out on draft day every year. Maybe 5 years ago everyone left theirs on the table because the rules are widely known. 

24 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

There’s simple things like when a 1-5 team is trading their best player to a 5-1 team for a couple lesser players and I veto without discussion. This doesn’t happen much anymore in my league where a team with no playoff hope would bench a couple obvious starters to throw a game for a buddy fighting for the playoffs. I’ve gone in and took control of rosters for that. In a few cases taking action may look like it benefits my team but it benefits the vast majority of the league as well. The key thing is I’m pretty consistent with my decisions so everyone knows what to expect, which sometimes squashes stuff before it even gets to me. I’ve been called Goddell and a few names of colorful world leaders from history but that comes with the territory lol. 

The trade league-wide veto system is in effect for a good reason. Or at least on Yahoo it is. 

1 minute ago, Danger said:

The trade league-wide veto system is in effect for a good reason. Or at least on Yahoo it is. 

In my league that can get sketchy. Guys would vote through trades for thier friends and a lot of back scratching can go on. In a online league where not many people know each other it can definitely work. In a league where everyone knows everyone cliques naturally develop. 

1 minute ago, bigdog44 said:

In my league that can get sketchy. Guys would vote through trades for thier friends and a lot of back scratching can go on. In a online league where not many people know each other it can definitely work. In a league where everyone knows everyone cliques naturally develop. 

Then you need to get yourself some new friends. I've never had that issue.

Archived