Week One GDT: Los Angeles Rams at Oakland Raiders

BayRaider

28btwxw.jpg

Gruden Returns:

Gruden returns to action for his first game in several years. What will his offensive scheme look like? How will he topple Aaron Donald, Wade Philips, and possibly a Top 5 Defense in football?

Key Matchups:

- Derek Carr and Amari Cooper must ball out to win this game. I see our run game getting locked completely up against that DL and I see our defense getting dismantled. Gruden needs to have a lot of new tricks on offense he's had under his sleeve for years and Carr and Cooper must execute perfectly.

- Bend but don't break against Gurley. Must force Goff into mistakes to have a chance to win. Without Mack this will be tough... but Goff isn't that great, mostly McVays brilliant offense, if we can get some decent pressure, and have some solid coverage, we can get Goff to have some turnovers.

Overall Prediction:

Los Angeles Rams defeat Oakland Raiders 33-20.

- Rams Defense will be too much here, I'm expecting 3 ypc for the run game at best. With no run game, and against that defensive line, not expecting a great game from Carr either. I think Carr will hold his own and play well overall. Something like 64%, 225 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT. Lynch 47 yards 3.0 YPC. Cooper 5 REC 52 yards 0 TD.

- Defense is going to get lit up against that Ram Offense. We may have a real defensive coordinator now.. but we are facing a Top 5 Offense with no Khalil Mack. I think the Rams will be moving the ball easily throughout this game. I could see Gurley having a huge day with 140 yards rushing and a TD.

- Most important, and the #1 reason I think we lose this game, locker room morale. I can only imagine being in that locker room right now. I'm sure they are still stunned and morale is at a all time low. I'm sure their passion Week 1 is going to be highly suspect. I think morale will 100% recover by Week 3 or Week 4. However, we are too soon removed from the Khalil Mack trade and those players are still emotionally affected by it.

I'll still be rooting for the upset and Gruden can win the locker room back with a win. Still pumped for Raider football and will be cheering like a crazy person for the Raiders to shock the world come Monday Night. I'm also still emotionally effected by the trade, but I still want to make the playoffs, I still want to win the Super Bowl, I still want to watch good Raider football. I'm being a realist with my prediction, but once 7:30pm starts on Monday, I'm a fan just cheering for their team. LET'S GO RAIDERS!

Very good write up Bay! 

I am just hoping we are prepared and can show competence. We need to win the battle in the trenches, Which is asking a lot for our OL. Run the ball effectively.

I’m extremely excited to see our DL rookies in action Hall, Hurst, and Key give me hope after the day the earth stood still.

and with every week I’m rooting for anyone that is playing the Bears. Give us that top pick Trubisky! I know you have it in you!

Locker room morale overall may be poor amongst some of the team leaders like Carr and the interior Oline and Irvin. But it's overblown as far as ccross the D. We've got any number of starters who have never even practiced alongside Mack once - Key, Hurst, Hall, Carradine, Whitehead, Johnson, Lamur, Melvin, Gilchrist, and to a smaller degree Conley. That's most of the D. That aside, I doubt it would matter with or without Mack on Monday. We're probably getting rolled.. LAR stacked it up for a run this season so they could sell LA to fans.

46 minutes ago, Gannon12 said:

I hope no one bailed. 

33 - 28 Raiders (optimism reaching Gruden levels of delusion)

38 - 13 Packers 

The Bears road to 2 - 14

Both of those could happen. Week 1 in the NFL we really don't know that well who's gonna be solid or not. 

50 minutes ago, Gannon12 said:

Yeah, we don’t know what to expect hopefully not like the opening week vs the bangles we had.

That was the worst lost we've had in the Carr era. Just outplayed in every faucet. However, we finished the season 7-8 after that and we were in every game the rest of the year. So that game did not "set the tone". Hoping for something similar with Los Angeles, if they beat us convincingly, hopefully it's not setting the tone for the rest of the year. 

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

That was the worst lost we've had in the Carr era. Just outplayed in every faucet.

Thought the worse loss in the Carr era ironically enough was the shut out rape vs the rams. But Carr has grown and is healthy and I believe we will see actual creativity on offense instead of the coloring book of plays Todd Downing found at a Golden Corral on the kids menu.

Archived