Earl Thomas to report today - Dallas ups offer to a second round pick

N4L

If Thomas is in the last year of his contract, what would the reasons be to not trade him for a 2nd round pick?  I mean, I get wanting to be a contender this year.  However, he's almost certainly not re-signing, they aren't going to tag him (I'd think?), and he's dealt with injuries the last two years.  

30 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

If Thomas is in the last year of his contract, what would the reasons be to not trade him for a 2nd round pick?  I mean, I get wanting to be a contender this year.  However, he's almost certainly not re-signing, they aren't going to tag him (I'd think?), and he's dealt with injuries the last two years.  

I think they'll tag him and at least try to trade him... Don't see them just letting him walk.

3 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Nah, they will let him walk. 

This is good news. Earl with a chip on his shoulder is best Earl. And this chip is going to be huge. 

Letting him walk + sucking this year > getting a 2nd rounder for him + still sucking this year?

I'm not sure I follow the logic here on Seattle's end. When he walks, they don't get a comp. pick do they?

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Letting him walk + sucking this year > getting a 2nd rounder for him + still sucking this year?

I'm not sure I follow the logic here on Seattle's end. When he walks, they don't get a comp. pick do they?

Seattle doesnt think they will suck, and why would you when you have a top 5 QB. Having Earl makes them better.

Plus tagging and trading isn't really a feasible strat, especially with the safety market as it is. 

4 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Seattle doesnt think they will suck, and why would you when you have a top 5 QB. Having Earl makes them better.

Plus tagging and trading isn't really a feasible strat, especially with the safety market as it is. 

Okay but they know they're not really contenders this year - or have to know they're rebuilding. Everything they've done indicates that they're in a rebuilding year/phase. Having Earl makes you (maybe) better THIS YEAR and then what? You get nothing when he walks (unless he gets a comp. pick, which again I'm unsure of but I don't think he's an RFA next year). Whereas trading him for a 2nd at least allows you to recoup some of that loss and use it as capital for your rebuild.

56 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Seahawks are smart to turn down the 2nd round pick.  I mean they'll probably just use it on a RB, so it's better to just keep Earl...

Their already missing a 2nd following the Duane Brown trade - this could have offset that trade, really surprised they didn't go for it.

A little disappointed too, I kinda want Seattle to not do well (purely selfish reasons, of course). Earl Thomas is good enough to help them win games.

Drats.

With a top 5 QB, you are a potential contender. Maybe you dont think so, but Im sure Seattle feels like they still are. Earl makes them better. Simple as a that.

After this year, they will probably offer a moderate contract out of respect, and Earl will take something bigger [barring injuries and what not]. Comp pick maybe? Also, PCJS doesnt use the the franchise tag. Its been a LONG time (2010, for Olindo Mare).

5 minutes ago, animaltested said:

With a top 5 QB, you are a potential contender. Maybe you dont think so, but Im sure Seattle feels like they still are. Earl makes them better. Simple as a that.

After this year, they will probably offer a moderate contract out of respect, and Earl will take something bigger [barring injuries and what not]. Comp pick maybe? Also, PCJS doesnt use the the franchise tag. Its been a LONG time (2010, for Olindo Mare).

He's a 2019 UFA, which IIRC means that he's free to sign anywhere and Seattle doesn't get anything if he walks. So, again, let's go through the scenarios:

1) Seattle plays with Earl Thomas this year, a rebuilding year, and likely misses the playoffs. Congrats! You got another season of Earl Thomas for nothing to show for it. He walks in 2019 ("the disrespect has been noted and won't be forgotten") as a UFA and you get nothing in return.

2) Same situation as above, but Seattle makes the playoffs and loses in whatever round. Earl walks. You get nothing, but now you're picking lower than in the above scenario so ultimately what did you gain?

2) Seattle takes the 2nd round pick from Dallas, or another team. Plays this year without Earl Thomas, still misses the playoffs and maybe their defense is a little worse. Oh well, it's a rebuilding year anyways. You now have a 2nd round pick to use next year in return to help you rebuild.

I mean, am I just really missing something obvious here? If PCJS believe they're real contenders this year, they're insane. Have you seen that DL lately? Have you seen their CB's and WR situation? It's a mess. ET isn't fixing that.

Earl Thomas is a good player. Seattle obviously feel a 2nd rounder isn't enough OR believe someone will offer more. Why not hold on as long as possible to see if you can get the best compensation possible for him? As it gets closer to the trade deadline more teams might fancy Earl Thomas on their team, especially if the D is struggling.

And if you don't get a trade, you get a top safety helping your defense for another season.

Seattle feels it can get more, and if they don't get it they keep him around. 

This is really stupid from what I'm seeing.  So first the Seahawks want a 2nd round pick for him.  Dallas isn't willing to part with a 2nd round pick at the time of the draft.  Entire off-season passes and Dallas has a change of heart and suddenly the Seahawks want more than a 2nd.  What changed?  I think it's ridiculous for Seattle to turn this down considering they won't be a contender this year and are probably the 3rd best team in their division at best 

Archived