Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
N4L

Earl Thomas to report today - Dallas ups offer to a second round pick

Recommended Posts

Seattle should take the second. They're not going to be contenders this year, despite having one of the best QBs in the game. The chances of Thomas resigning with Seattle is very slim, so they should just take the second round pick and look to retool the team some more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, animaltested said:

With a top 5 QB, you are a potential contender. Maybe you dont think so, but Im sure Seattle feels like they still are. 

They had a top 5 QB last year too. And kind of got worse. 

Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril, Paul Richardson, and Jimmy Graham. They’re all gone with largely no replacements.   

They’re clearly a re-building team IMO. Makes a ton of sense to trade an aging player that wants a lot of money for a high round draft pick.

Edited by Yin-Yang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

This is really stupid from what I'm seeing.  So first the Seahawks want a 2nd round pick for him.  Dallas isn't willing to part with a 2nd round pick at the time of the draft.  Entire off-season passes and Dallas has a change of heart and suddenly the Seahawks want more than a 2nd.  What changed?  I think it's ridiculous for Seattle to turn this down considering they won't be a contender this year and are probably the 3rd best team in their division at best 

I've always heard that Seattle wanted 1st rounders for Thomas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He's a 2019 UFA, which IIRC means that he's free to sign anywhere and Seattle doesn't get anything if he walks. So, again, let's go through the scenarios:

1) Seattle plays with Earl Thomas this year, a rebuilding year, and likely misses the playoffs. Congrats! You got another season of Earl Thomas for nothing to show for it. He walks in 2019 ("the disrespect has been noted and won't be forgotten") as a UFA and you get nothing in return.

2) Same situation as above, but Seattle makes the playoffs and loses in whatever round. Earl walks. You get nothing, but now you're picking lower than in the above scenario so ultimately what did you gain?

2) Seattle takes the 2nd round pick from Dallas, or another team. Plays this year without Earl Thomas, still misses the playoffs and maybe their defense is a little worse. Oh well, it's a rebuilding year anyways. You now have a 2nd round pick to use next year in return to help you rebuild.

I mean, am I just really missing something obvious here? If PCJS believe they're real contenders this year, they're insane. Have you seen that DL lately? Have you seen their CB's and WR situation? It's a mess. ET isn't fixing that.

TIL teams should give up on their seasons when everyone is 0-0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Seattle should take the second.

All Seattle needs to do is let Jerruh simmer a little longer. He's not a great poker player and easily manipulated
Jerruh already has his 1st round pick loaded in the chamber, the only thing holding the trigger back is Steven.

Edited by Shanedorf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can always franchise and trade him next off season i am just glad they didn't give in to his demands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I've always heard that Seattle wanted 1st rounders for Thomas.

That's not what I heard around the time of the draft.  From what I remember, the Cowboys weren't willing to part with the 50th overall pick at the time (2nd round, 18th overall from that round), and that's why Thomas wasn't traded.  Either way, I think if Seattle is serious about wanting a 1st rounder for Thomas at this point in time, then they deserve to have him leave in free agency next year without getting anything in return.  They've had more than enough chances to get some value for him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting a 2nd for Thomas at this stage.. Seattle should run with that.. what is Dallas thinking? If they get him on the roster tomorrow, how long until he's mentally caught up to start? They'd be paying for 14 games from an aging superstar who is a FA after this season. Not to mention he plays (what the market dictates to be) the least-important position on defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

TIL teams should give up on their seasons when everyone is 0-0.

That's not at all what I am saying here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why should Seattle cower to ET wishes and make him a Cowboy? If anything I'd do the exact opposite and never ever let a Player dictate where he should/could go. Sets a bad precedent.

I'd ship his happy arse to a Cold, Snowy non contending environment and tell him don't let the door hit you in the ....on the way out! 

I'll assume they could get a higher 2nd Rd pick from another club but they clearly want something closer to a late 1st. Earl like most Athletes isn't going to lose game checks, so him showing up is expected.

Give him his wish, ship his arse to purgatory! Seriously!

Edited by Nabbs4u

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Why should Seattle cower to ET wishes and make him a Cowboy? If anything I'd do the exact opposite and never ever let a Player dictate where he should/could go. Sets a bad precedent.

I'd ship his happy arse to a Cold, Snowy non contending environment and tell him don't let the door hit you in the ....on the way out! 

I'll assume they could get a higher 2nd Rd pick from another club but they clearly want something closer to a late 1st. Earl like most Athletes isn't going to lose game checks, so him showing up is expected.

Give him his wish, ship his arse to purgatory! Seriously!

plz don't send him to Cleveland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

plz don't send him to Cleveland.

They'd be on that list! ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, footbull3196 said:

That's not what I heard around the time of the draft.  From what I remember, the Cowboys weren't willing to part with the 50th overall pick at the time (2nd round, 18th overall from that round), and that's why Thomas wasn't traded.  Either way, I think if Seattle is serious about wanting a 1st rounder for Thomas at this point in time, then they deserve to have him leave in free agency next year without getting anything in return.  They've had more than enough chances to get some value for him

A second this year is not the same as a 2nd next year. That's why you see teams trade current 1st rounders in the following year's drafts for current 2nd rounders.  Similar principle to a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. 

I wouldn't trade ET for a 2nd next year.  A) I don't know what that 2nd will be (even though I don't believe Dallas will be good, it's not guaranteed); B) I can tag him next year... and if I trade him for a 2nd then... or even a high 3rd... I got an additional year out of him

There is no incentive for Seattle to trade him for anything they don't believe is a steal right now.  Forget fair value at this point... there's no incentive for that.  ET can help them win a few games, which could mean the playoffs for them.  Why settle? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

A second this year is not the same as a 2nd next year. That's why you see teams trade current 1st rounders in the following year's drafts for current 2nd rounders.  Similar principle to a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. 

I wouldn't trade ET for a 2nd next year.  A) I don't know what that 2nd will be (even though I don't believe Dallas will be good, it's not guaranteed); B) I can tag him next year... and if I trade him for a 2nd then... or even a high 3rd... I got an additional year out of him

There is no incentive for Seattle to trade him for anything they don't believe is a steal right now.  Forget fair value at this point... there's no incentive for that.  ET can help them win a few games, which could mean the playoffs for them.  Why settle? 

Lol there is plenty of incentive to trade a player that the Seahawks have shown through their own actions that there is almost no chance of him being back next season.  A 2nd next year may not be a 2nd this year, but it's still a 2nd round pick and likely the best pick they're going to get for him regardless of circumstance.  No team in their right mind will offer a 1st round pick for a SAFETY in the last year of his contract about to turn 30

The Seahawks aren't "settling" by trading Thomas for a 2nd, they're getting fair value in return.  If they were trading him for a 3rd, then that would be settling.  But by not trading him for a 2nd and holding out hope for a 1st, they're not looking for fair value, they're openly trying to rip other teams off and are out of their minds for not taking the Cowboys offer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whats the over/under on him getting a season ending split nail injury?

If I wast STL I'd have taken the second rounder and have run with it. If ET doesn't want to be there it's just going to poison the lockerroom and the team as a whole. Unless they get off to a red hot start and ET sees a chance of winning another ring, which I find highly unlikely since Russel is the offensive line at this point (apart from 99 year old D. Brown).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×