Earl Thomas to report today - Dallas ups offer to a second round pick

N4L

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

That's not at all what I am saying here.

So why do you eliminate the possibility of the Seahawks winning a Super Bowl and Earl Thomas playing a big role in that?

You are writing them off before they played one regular season snap. Is it unlikely they reach the Super Bowl? Certainly. But how many folks were predicting the 2015 Carolina Panthers to go 15-1 and reach the SB after losing their #1 WR in Benjamin at the time?

Most likely the best move for the Seahawks long term may be to get a draft pick. But you assume that the draft pick will be used for something that contributes value. Remember, this is the team that spent a high 2nd round pick in 2017 on Malik McDowell, who never played a snap for them and whose career is over. So it's entirely possible that 1 year of Earl Thomas provides more value to the franchise than a draft pick.

Just my 2 cents.

1 minute ago, RuskieTitan said:

So why do you eliminate the possibility of the Seahawks winning a Super Bowl and Earl Thomas playing a big role in that?

You are writing them off before they played one regular season snap. Is it unlikely they reach the Super Bowl? Certainly. But how many folks were predicting the 2015 Carolina Panthers to go 15-1 and reach the SB after losing their #1 WR in Benjamin at the time?

Most likely the best move for the Seahawks long term may be to get a draft pick. But you assume that the draft pick will be used for something that contributes value. Remember, this is the team that spent a high 2nd round pick in 2017 on Malik McDowell, who never played a snap for them and whose career is over. So it's entirely possible that 1 year of Earl Thomas provides more value to the franchise than a draft pick.

Just my 2 cents.

How does tossing away those 2 cents impact your HoF chances? Serious question.

5 hours ago, Eagles $5$ said:

I think they'll tag him and at least try to trade him... Don't see them just letting him walk.

Thing is, I don't think I see them getting much of an improvement (point-wise in terms of draft value) over Dallas' 2nd; because I really don't think Thomas swings the needle that much for the Cowboys.  And further, their leverage would be limited by the fact that Earl would have to be amenable to where he's traded because he'd have to sign his tender (franchise tag) in order to facilitate the trade - that kneecaps their leverage right there in terms of what they can reasonably expect to get in return.

If it's me, I'm taking that 2nd and running.

Seattle's options:

1)Miss the playoffs and get nothing for him since he ain't coming back.

2)Miss the playoffs and add a new piece to their rebuild while adding cap space and potentially getting a higher draft pick.

Sounds like an easy choice to me, why won't Schneider pull the trigger?

3 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Seattle's options:

2)Miss the playoffs and add a new piece to their rebuild while adding cap space and potentially getting a higher draft pick.

To be fair, they could potentially get a comp pick in 2020 for him, but that is dependent on him bucking the trend in the safety market (certainly possible if Jerruh badly wants him), but also possible he decides to go to Dallas on a team-friendly deal and make up the difference via fat endorsement deals in the market) and even then, Seattle would have be thrifty in their free agent spending so as not to upset the comp pick formula to ensure they actually got a pick (which would at-best be the latest of 3rd's and more likely would be a late 4th or late 5th).

LIS above, the hope of tag and trade is utterly stupid, particularly if Earl is dead-set on being a Cowboy.  He'll simply tell them he's not signing the franchise tender unless he's traded to Dallas and Dallas then has the fattest of lion's shares of the leverage because the alternative to not trading him for Seattle would end up being carrying him on a fully guaranteed, roughly $10M tender that he wouldn't even have to sign till Week 10 in order to accrue a season of service (and would still collect the same amount as if he were to show up Week 1).

I'm really happy Earl Thomas is staying a Seahawk.  Maybe throughout the course of the year they can work out a deal and he signs back with them.  It's possible.  Also, I'm not saying that the Seahawks are Super Bowl favorites or anything like that, but they certainly are playoff contenders.  I think there's a better chance they don't make it to the playoffs vs them making it in, but they're still a contender for a playoff spot. 

Football is an insane sport on a year-to-year basis.  For example, people are penciling in the New Orleans Saints as a playoff team, but the year before last they didn't make it in.  As a whole, the NFC South is very unpredictable year-to-year.  The Cowboys were one of the best teams in the league in 2016 and in 2017 they didn't make the playoffs.  Who penciled in the Jaguars and the Rams as two of the best teams before last year started... damn near nobody.  It's not like the Seahawks are some hopeless team that doesn't have talent.  There's a lot of young talent on the roster and Russell Wilson is still one of the best QB's in the league.

5 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

This is really stupid from what I'm seeing.  So first the Seahawks want a 2nd round pick for him.  Dallas isn't willing to part with a 2nd round pick at the time of the draft.  Entire off-season passes and Dallas has a change of heart and suddenly the Seahawks want more than a 2nd.  What changed?  I think it's ridiculous for Seattle to turn this down considering they won't be a contender this year and are probably the 3rd best team in their division at best 

It's stupid for Dallas to even offer a 2nd for him considering they aren't any better off then the Seahawks.

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

It's stupid for Dallas to even offer a 2nd for him considering they aren't any better off then the Seahawks.

I don't disagree at all.  That's why Seattle is dumb for not taking the 2nd rounder especially since they're not gonna be good this year

1 hour ago, KManX89 said:

Seattle's options:

3. Tag him and sign him long term

4. Tag him and trade him

5. Don't tag him and get a 3rd round comp pick

Why's everyone assuming there's limited options? Seattle has been down this road before... Chancellor actually sat out a few games before returning. He eventually signed. 

Nothing wrong with Seattle getting some assurances before giving him a new contract. He's missed games the past 2 seasons. If he rebounds, they tag him and keep him or trade him for that high pick they're waiting on (in addition to having him play at that high level for them this season)... or he doesn't, and they let him go and get a comp pick. Its as gamble, but one worth taking, banking on him rebounding and continuing to play like one of the best safeties in the league. 

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

Without the trade? No.

After trading? Considering they shored their OL back up, we can expect rookie Zeke, which means they're gonna eat up clock again and keep the defense well-rested, and they already have a pretty good front 7. Insert ET, who can mask a lot of the backfield's deficiencies, and it appears you have a recipe for success (and I say "appears" because they don't have the receiving threats they did in 2016 to keep defenses honest).

3 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Seattle's options:

if their only options are missing the playoffs, then why even play any games. just ir everyone and take the 1 overall draft pick

tldr: you always have a chance to make the playoffs and win the superbowl. 

17 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

This is really stupid from what I'm seeing.  So first the Seahawks want a 2nd round pick for him.  Dallas isn't willing to part with a 2nd round pick at the time of the draft.  Entire off-season passes and Dallas has a change of heart and suddenly the Seahawks want more than a 2nd.  What changed?  I think it's ridiculous for Seattle to turn this down considering they won't be a contender this year and are probably the 3rd best team in their division at best 

Both our young safeties are dealing with injuries. Xavier Woods and Kavon Frazier. Woods was penciled in to be starter & Frazier behind him.

We are super thin at safety right now because of this because not only did our number go down but the talent level from those two to the rest are significant drop-off. Combine this problem with the looming issue for ET looking for a new team and contract, it is the perfect match really. Especially after how outspoken he has about coming to Dallas.

So yeah, it's not a sudden change of heart.

If anything, it's just a decision that has had more fuel to it the more time has passed by.

Also its not out of the realm of possibility Seattle does offer an extension during the season (ala Kam and Marshawn). Seattle wiped away all the fines from missing camp and the PS and what not. I personally dont think they will extend him due to Seattle shifting their resources over the to offense (to build around their soon to be 35 million dollar man; already invested in Wagner too) but its not an impossible scenario. 

Archived