Week 1 GDT - Minnesota Vikings vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

We finally enter a season with solid expectations. The last few years we were just hoping to win 4-5 games, but that obviously changed with the trade of Jimmy G. The early part of the schedule is pretty damn difficult though, especially week 1 in Minnesota? I think we will be able to compete, but that front 7 is going to test our OL big time. I'm looking forward to seeing how our corners match up with the Vikings WRs. Diggs/Theilen are as good as it gets, but I like our secondary more than most. The Vikings OL is pretty questionable so Buckner/Thomas should be in the backfield quite a bit. Interested in seeing who we use in nickel. Will Watson replace Attouchu or will that be Blair? How will the running game distribution look? Want to see how much we play Pettis at WR. I know he will likely be the starting PR, but will he get some time at WR or we will be going with Garcon/Taylor/Goodwin/Bourne for majority of the game? 

I got the Vikings winning 24-20. 

Yeah, don't love this game. Early start time, on the road. Meh. I think we struggle to score touchdowns, even if we move the ball fairly well. This could be a slugfest if the pass rush shows up and the Minnesota line is really bad, but for the time being, I think I'll lean something like 27-16 Minnesota. 

The Vikings' starting Center for this matchup will be starting his second game of his career. I'm keeping an eye on this key matchup of the Viking's interior line vs. the Niners' interior pass rush. With Thomas looking stellar this preseason, I'm excited to see him and Buck side-by-side on 3rd downs. If they can cause havoc in the backfield, the Niners have a chance for an upset. 

7 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

The Vikings' starting Center for this matchup will be starting his second game of his career. I'm keeping an eye on this key matchup of the Viking's interior line vs. the Niners' interior pass rush. With Thomas looking stellar this preseason, I'm excited to see him and Buck side-by-side on 3rd downs. If they can cause havoc in the backfield, the Niners have a chance for an upset. 

Feel like this is something we are going to say in a lot of Game Day threads this year. Such a questionable pass rush. We would be so much better if we had a consistent one. I really hope Thomas takes that next step this year. 

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Oh yes, you have been a long time DirecTV consumer right? If so, you should never pay for it. I'll tell you what to say next year when time comes. Let's just say I've had Sunday Ticket since 2012 and haven't paid once for it. 

haha, why not. I have paid top price for many years, sans this one, so maybe I deserve a break next year too. Thanks. :) 

good luck this sunday, it really sucks what happened to mckinnon. he was one of the most fun players to watch in minnesota and would've been awesome for you this season.

my favourite matchup to watch is danielle hunter vs. mike mcglinchey. the vikings have high expectations for hunter this season and he's going against the top rookie tackle. both sides should be excited to see this matchup.

29 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

https://www.vikings.com/team/injury-report/

Going to be keeping an eye on these injury reports.

CB Alexander did not practice so far. CB Rhodes was limited, as was C/ Elfein,  and LT/Reiff. 

elflein is all but guaranteed to sit (not even sure he's cleared for contact yet). there's been mixed reports but brett jones took starting center snaps at practice today so i guess he's the leading candidate to replace elflein? mack alexander and roc thomas are likely to sit (in my opinion) and the only other player with more than a 50% chance to sit is marcus sherels (again, imo).

to be honest i'm kid of hoping alexander sits because i'm anxious to see mike hughes man the slot, he had an impressive training camp and preseason.

Good luck Bay Natives! Think you guys will go around 8-8 this year and Jimmy G will ball out. Really tough first matchup, Vikings might be a Top 3-5 team in the entire NFL. Anything is possible Week 1 though and hope you guys have a good showing with no injuries!

Archived